The Student Room Group

Explore how dickens presents the suffering of the poor

How does dickens present the suffering of the poor in the novel as a whole
Reply 1
Original post by Ayaa.ac
How does dickens present the suffering of the poor in the novel as a whole

This might be a big scruffy and i know it is horrible, but theyre just notes ig. Dickens presents suffering of the poor in the novella (not novel remember that) as a whole in these examples:

The Cratchets- the most simple one to be honest. this family is a direct representative of the (victorian? i cant remember) lower class people at the time as they were labour workers, and they worked for the rich ext but they struggled with money due to the social class system and how high paying jobs werent even ofered to them as the rich didnt want them to mingle. However regardless of the social class at the time, the cratchets portray a love and familiarity for each other that money cant buy and they apressiate the true nature of christmas, family and community all because they havent been blindsighted by money and this has allowed them to continue on. Like even though they are poor, they arnt mardy and hate each other and they arnt misrable, instead they look foreward to everything that they get and the duck (i think it is a duck that they are gonna eat but then scrooge sends them turkey at the end or sommethin) isnt what everyone else is having but they are more than content with him. Then there is Tiny tim who is dying becausse he is poor and his family cant look after him, but he still manages to light up the room (i cant remember that much quotes sorry, but if u go to these parts in the novella it might be better).

Scrooge's fiance- scrooge was obviously going to get married and his fiance didnt care that they were poor, all she wanted was love and that everything else would come after that naturally. But scrooge has already gotten like a money lust and has lost his veiw of his fiance and has instead become tunnle minded to what he has to do to get more money. This leads to belle i think her name is saying something along the lines of "another idol has displaced me, a golden one" this shows how she should have been the centre of his attention due to him being blindly in love with her but instead he lost sight of what was truly important and instead wanted just money. This represents the poor because they dotn want money money money, but instead they want family and they want love and they beive money will come after, adn if it doesnt, they are happy enough with what they have.

Fred- a poor charecter even though he is scrooges nephew, but his first thing or one of the first things we hear him say is something like "merry christmas uncle" and once again the theme of family runs though and through the poor in A christmas carrol and Fred isnt even bothered that his uincle has money, all he wants to do is wish him a merry christmas and invite him to his christmas party knowing he wont come but he just wants to spend quality time with the only family he has left other than his fiance, because he wants that love and acceptance from his uncle. fred is another one that doest care about the money but more about the family.

so basically in all the examples dickens does this to show that the poor arnt money blinded and they arnt finding ways to con the rich out of their money, instead they have bigger things on their mind like the love of their family and the true chritmas traditions, ext. its a bit naff but build up on it cause i havent done ACC since last yr and even then i barely did anything. Imagine if you werent even talking abt ACC and insteadd i just procrasinated for like 20 mins for no reason.
Reply 2
Original post by Tatakae L
This might be a big scruffy and i know it is horrible, but theyre just notes ig. Dickens presents suffering of the poor in the novella (not novel remember that) as a whole in these examples:

The Cratchets- the most simple one to be honest. this family is a direct representative of the (victorian? i cant remember) lower class people at the time as they were labour workers, and they worked for the rich ext but they struggled with money due to the social class system and how high paying jobs werent even ofered to them as the rich didnt want them to mingle. However regardless of the social class at the time, the cratchets portray a love and familiarity for each other that money cant buy and they apressiate the true nature of christmas, family and community all because they havent been blindsighted by money and this has allowed them to continue on. Like even though they are poor, they arnt mardy and hate each other and they arnt misrable, instead they look foreward to everything that they get and the duck (i think it is a duck that they are gonna eat but then scrooge sends them turkey at the end or sommethin) isnt what everyone else is having but they are more than content with him. Then there is Tiny tim who is dying becausse he is poor and his family cant look after him, but he still manages to light up the room (i cant remember that much quotes sorry, but if u go to these parts in the novella it might be better).

Scrooge's fiance- scrooge was obviously going to get married and his fiance didnt care that they were poor, all she wanted was love and that everything else would come after that naturally. But scrooge has already gotten like a money lust and has lost his veiw of his fiance and has instead become tunnle minded to what he has to do to get more money. This leads to belle i think her name is saying something along the lines of "another idol has displaced me, a golden one" this shows how she should have been the centre of his attention due to him being blindly in love with her but instead he lost sight of what was truly important and instead wanted just money. This represents the poor because they dotn want money money money, but instead they want family and they want love and they beive money will come after, adn if it doesnt, they are happy enough with what they have.

Fred- a poor charecter even though he is scrooges nephew, but his first thing or one of the first things we hear him say is something like "merry christmas uncle" and once again the theme of family runs though and through the poor in A christmas carrol and Fred isnt even bothered that his uincle has money, all he wants to do is wish him a merry christmas and invite him to his christmas party knowing he wont come but he just wants to spend quality time with the only family he has left other than his fiance, because he wants that love and acceptance from his uncle. fred is another one that doest care about the money but more about the family.

so basically in all the examples dickens does this to show that the poor arnt money blinded and they arnt finding ways to con the rich out of their money, instead they have bigger things on their mind like the love of their family and the true chritmas traditions, ext. its a bit naff but build up on it cause i havent done ACC since last yr and even then i barely did anything. Imagine if you werent even talking abt ACC and insteadd i just procrasinated for like 20 mins for no reason.

Tysm this really help Appreciate itt
Reply 3
Original post by Ayaa.ac
Tysm this really help Appreciate itt

nws

Quick Reply

Latest