The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

bballer4life
so guess, lets talk afro carrabean food
whats your fav food? im soo gonna miss my mums cookin when i go uni. she makes the best julluf rice (if thats how you spell it)

i feel you. i missed my 'yard' food sooo much this year at uni loll, doesn't help that i can't really cook it myself :frown: Rice and Peas, callaloo and saltfish (breakfast) and green bananas, jerk chicken, curry goat, rum and guiness punch are my favourite caribbean foods/drinks :p: ! Never tried jollof rice, i went to an Nigerian party a couple of months ago but by the time i got there the food was done.

Love how the first thing we talk about is food loll how typical.
Reply 41
lol yeah i am nigerian nice to meet you :ciao:
*Natalie*
St Lucian here (born and raised in the UK though)
I love curry goat and rice
Saltfish fritters, patties and dumplings
Gotta love rum punch and I love Supermalt

:five:

I was once invited to a meal with a family from the Dominican Republic when I was living in Chanteloup; a suburban housing estate Le Bronx a Paris portrayed as an inner~city ghetto in the ending of the film Le Haine ... I had one of the best fish dinners ever! I asked the name of the fish [some exotic name] but, unfortunately, I can't remember it! It was absolutely luscious! :coma:
Reply 43
Part Guyanese / part Trini / Portuguese
What'sup :tongue:
Reply 44
parrot fish

red snapper?
Reply 45
What's the point of this soc? If it's just to talk about food, why didn't you just make a 'African/Afro-Caribbean food' thread in Food and Drink? :confused:
rye225
parrot fish

red snapper?

Seriously I can't remember ... mind's gone blank! could've been the latter, I think they mentioned it in French! :redface: But I cherish the memory, they were, as were other members of that community, the salt of the earth! I was living in a mickey mouse tin can [caravan] with no water, gas or electricity it was a just dilapidated and falling to bits; I was travelling across europe hippy style. :p:

Unlike some of the better off areas, where you'd get people staring and looking hostile, here the people just tapped on the door and offered me food and the odd hot cup of mint tea ... amazing!

:smile:
Reply 47
EskimoJo
What's the point of this soc? If it's just to talk about food, why didn't you just make a 'African/Afro-Caribbean food' thread in Food and Drink? :confused:

I dunno, let's start a fight

Arsenal scum!
EskimoJo

well, you can talk about what ever you want really. no one is forcing you to talk about food.
Reply 49
bballer4life
well, you can talk about what ever you want really. no one is forcing you to talk about food.

There isn't anything I want to talk about tbh though. If I have a specific problem/question/interesting fact/appreciation about something that I consider to be a black issue (e.g. what's the best relaxer to use, or where sells the best Nigerian food, or some Reggae artist) I'd ask it in the appropriate, already-made forum (beauty, food and music).
And I have no desire to talk about non-black issues with only black people.

On the internet, there really is no need for an Afro-Caribbean Soc, although I can understand why they're needed at Universities.

Oh well, have fun guys! :wavey:
Reply 50
Escorcio

Arsenal scum!

What the...? How dare you?! :eek: :hmmm: :p:
What do peeps here think of Alpha Blondy?
Reply 52
EskimoJo
What the...? How dare you?! :eek: :hmmm: :p:

Haha, Liverpool til I die :tongue:
My mum forced me to support Arsenal til I was 7 and saw sense though! :tongue:
Reply 53
No one has mentioned Roti and Curry!!! *sighs*...
ChosenOne
i feel you. i missed my 'yard' food sooo much this year at uni loll, doesn't help that i can't really cook it myself :frown: Rice and Peas, callaloo and saltfish (breakfast) and green bananas, jerk chicken, curry goat, rum and guiness punch are my favourite caribbean foods/drinks :p: ! Never tried jollof rice, i went to an Nigerian party a couple of months ago but by the time i got there the food was done.

Love how the first thing we talk about is food loll how typical.

Haha very true!:p:
Reply 55
Escorcio
Haha, Liverpool til I die :tongue:
My mum forced me to support Arsenal til I was 7 and saw sense though! :tongue:

Haha! My brothers were exact opposite! Stopped supporting Liverpool around aged 7/8 (because of Ian Wright). I wasn't interested in professional football until I was around 10, and then I had to choose between my brother's club and my dad's (Tott*nham :indiff:). Thankfully, I made the right choice!:p:
I do have a soft spot for Liverpool though (although it's reduced a bit after last season :hmmm:), but then again, I also have a soft spot for Everton! :rolleyes:
Reply 56
I'm Indian, that's sort of Afro-carribean innit.
LawYah
I'm Indian, that's sort of Afro-carribean innit.

You a "Coolie!"
:eek: :p:
Reply 58
No :teeth:

But oh oh oh, my dad, uncles and granddaddy were all born in Tanzania in Africa, so yeah :ashy:
Reply 59
EskimoJo
Haha! My brothers were exact opposite! Stopped supporting Liverpool around aged 7/8 (because of Ian Wright). I wasn't interested in professional football until I was around 10, and then I had to choose between my brother's club and my dad's (Tott*nham :indiff:). Thankfully, I made the right choice!:p:
I do have a soft spot for Liverpool though (although it's reduced a bit after last season :hmmm:), but then again, I also have a soft spot for Everton! :rolleyes:

I have NO soft spot for Arsenal :tongue:, I was Christianed at Highbury park though! :tongue:
Where abouts in London you from?

Latest