The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think for my year at LMH, offers were given to about 30% of interviewees. Don't know how many applicants got interviews though.
Reply 2
well oxford has its own entry test, which i heard wasn't as hard (but, therefore, you would need a better mark to stand out...).

i think cambridge may be more competative simply because of the whole cambridge for sciences oxford for arts thing that at least some applicants are bound to believe.
Reply 3
Liliahh
As everybody knows...Oxford does not require STEP! so I just wondering if there is a lot greater competition in oxford than in cambridge, Cam normally give offers to 1/3 of the applicants, how about oxford? and, I just heard that Oxford does not emphasise on GCSE grades anymore, is it true?

Last year Cambridge had 1172 applicants, made 459 offers and have around 240 places. So that's around 5 applicants per place. It's only a case of 1 in 3 offers when you factor in that they don't expect all their offers to be met in fact only around half of them.

By contrast for maths or a joint school at Oxford there were 1146 applicants and 262 offers were made for about that many places. Almost all offers are expected to be gotten. That's about 4.5 applicants per place.
Reply 4
and is there an entry test for maths in oxford?
Liliahh

yep
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/mathematics.html

check out imperial for maths too, but be warned theyre getting crazy on requirements
Liliahh

yes, but its slightly easier than STEP 1.
Reply 8
Liliahh
and, I just heard that Oxford does not emphasise on GCSE grades anymore, is it true?

Nope, not true. Although a good mark in the admissions test + good AS + good interview + good predicted grades + good personal statement will most likely leave GCSEs irrelevant (and by good, I mean higher than the average person getting an offer) provided they're not dreadful.
Reply 9
I did the Oxford test and STEP and i prefer STEP much more, i think mainly because i'm not the fastest worker and in the Oxford test all questions must be completed. You also only get 2 hours on the oxford test where as you get 3 on STEP which is very helpfull. In STEP you only have to complete about 3/4 questions well to get a decent grade. Difficulty wise i would say they maybe the same although in my personal opinion the time constraint on the Oxford test made it probably more difficult for me. If you don't have any problems with working both accuratley and fast, then really the test shouldn't be a problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending