The Student Room Group

Can I get into engineering with these subjects at A level?

I’ve been put to no choice but to chose BTEC applied science instead of physics/chemistry alongside math to study for A levels because of my average grade points. Can I get into an engineering course at Oxford/Cambridge or a Russel group university in general with these chosen subjects? (Math, btec applied science and psychology or DT instead) please do let me know.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oxbridge is off the table with BTECs. There may be some russel group unis which accepts btecs and some will allow btecs if you take a foundation year.
Original post by Waleedmwk
I’ve been put to no choice but to chose BTEC applied science instead of physics/chemistry alongside math to study for A levels because of my average grade points. Can I get into an engineering course at Oxford/Cambridge or a Russel group university in general with these chosen subjects? (Math, btec applied science and psychology or DT instead) please do let me know.

See my below comments. Also note that for engineering the Russell Group is an entirely pointless criteria when considering unis; there are plenty of unis much preferred by engineering firms to recruit from that aren't RG (e.g. Loughborough, Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt). Also the RG is a very wide ranging set of unis and some are neither particularly selective nor known for being very strong in engineering.

Original post by hungrysalamander
Oxbridge is off the table with BTECs. There may be some russel group unis which accepts btecs and some will allow btecs if you take a foundation year.

Not really accurate; even Oxbridge indicate they will "consider" a BTEC in engineering (maybe applied science) alongside A-level Maths. It would definitely not be the most competitive application though. Otherwise with the exception of Imperial, UCL and maybe Southampton most other Russell Group unis would probably have no issue considering the combination of a BTEC and A-level Maths.

Oxford accept BTEC. Cambridge dont and neither I think do Imperial and UCL. Generally most universities accept BTEC along with A level Maths grade A. Dont waste your time on the other courses. Concentrate on completing the extended BTEC in Applied Science and A level Maths.
Reply 4
Cambridge/Oxford is almost completely off the tables due to competition aspect since most people would have done A - Levels with really high grades A*A*A*, etc. to get into that course so your at a disadvantage with that since its extremely exam focused so they'd assume you wont do to well there with the pressure they put you through. Atleast at an undergraduate level...

However, it is definitely possible to get into Russell groups with a BTEC Assuming you score good by the end of it so nothing less then DDD and your set for most places. In my case I did Applied Science Extended diploma with Maths A-LEVEL and did very well and got into Queen Mary's Aerospace engineering course and have graduated there. So you don't need anything else but Applied science and Math to get in.

But overall from what I can say a degree at a Russell group or Oxford/Cambridge does not mean anything for engineering at least... just go to a place where you feel comfortable and know you'll do well. Environment your in is key to doing well in an engineering degree so be honest with yourself when you go to open day instead of one choosing based on the name and prestige since the content is relatively the same everywhere at an undergraduate level.
(edited 2 years ago)
cambridge will take a BTEC in engineering provided you take it alongside a maths a-level, but it isn't ideal
Reply 6
Original post by _Case
Cambridge/Oxford is almost completely off the tables due to competition aspect since most people would have done A - Levels with really high grades A*A*A*, etc. to get into that course so your at a disadvantage with that since its extremely exam focused so they'd assume you wont do to well there with the pressure they put you through. Atleast at an undergraduate level...

However, it is definitely possible to get into Russell groups with a BTEC Assuming you score good by the end of it so nothing less then DDD and your set for most places. In my case I did Applied Science Extended diploma with Maths A-LEVEL and did very well and got into Queen Mary's Aerospace engineering course and have graduated there. So you don't need anything else but Applied science and Math to get in.

But overall from what I can say a degree at a Russell group or Oxford/Cambridge does not mean anything for engineering at least... just go to a place where you feel comfortable and know you'll do well. Environment your in is key to doing well in an engineering degree so be honest with yourself when you go to open day instead of one choosing based on the name and prestige since the content is relatively the same everywhere at an undergraduate level.

Thank you for the clarification, can you state some Russel groups that would accept engineering with the subjects I listed? Aerospace to be specific
Reply 7
Original post by thealphabetsays
cambridge will take a BTEC in engineering provided you take it alongside a maths a-level, but it isn't ideal

Really? How do you know that? From what I’ve researched it said physics and math is a must I haven’t seen btec stated anywhere on their website.
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
Oxford accept BTEC. Cambridge dont and neither I think do Imperial and UCL. Generally most universities accept BTEC along with A level Maths grade A. Dont waste your time on the other courses. Concentrate on completing the extended BTEC in Applied Science and A level Maths.

For sure, but can you really get into engineering courses In a Russel group with btec applied science instead of physics?
Reply 9
Thank you for the clarification, can you state some Russel groups that would accept engineering with the subjects I listed? Aerospace to be specific

Forget Russell group, it's irrelevant for engineering. As long as the degree is accredited by a professional engineering body you'll be ok and employers of engineering graduates know this.
Really? How do you know that? From what I’ve researched it said physics and math is a must I haven’t seen btec stated anywhere on their website.

I have the cambridge undergrad prospectus. You may have to do physics as well but I'm not entirely sure - I think if not then your BTEC will have to be double? I can check for you when I get home if you'd like.

I know a guy who got into Oxford with a BTEC in engineering, however he did fm, math and physics alongside with it

I'm pretty sure Cambridge accept BTEC engineering diploma as long as you get the highest grade
For sure, but can you really get into engineering courses In a Russel group with btec applied science instead of physics?

RG is totally irrelevant for Engineering - acrreditation and a year in industry are important.

Good unis include Bath and Loughborough which aren't RG and Brookes is a target for F1.
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
RG is totally irrelevant for Engineering - acrreditation and a year in industry are important.

Good unis include Bath and Loughborough which aren't RG and Brookes is a target for F1.

These are two good options with both solid F1 Student teams which I've gone up against in Silver stone
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mgcgian047

I'm pretty sure Cambridge accept BTEC engineering diploma as long as you get the highest grade

Here is the universities reply to the Uni guide in Jan 2021. There used to be a guy on here who contacted all rg universities and Cambridge and Imperial were 2 universities who werent accepting BTECs.

Which Russell Group universities accept Btecs?
There are 24 universities in the Russell Group here's what each one's official stance is on accepting undergraduate Btec students in general. Bear in mind that the specific requirements will vary depending on the course, so it's always worth checking the university's website or speaking to their admissions department.

University of Birmingham: accepts Btec applicants on many of its courses (University of Birmingham courses)
University of Bristol: accepts Btec applicants. For some subjects, it may ask for Distinctions in particular units or for an additional A-level.
University of Cambridge: the University of Cambridge would not accept a Btec in place of the required A-levels the university advises potential applicants taking a mix of qualifications to speak to a college admissions tutor to find out more.
Cardiff University: accepts Btec applicants on many of its courses, although you may also need A-levels.
Durham University: accepts Btec applicants on many of its courses (Durham University courses)
University of Edinburgh: accepts Btec applicants who have taken certain subjects.
University of Exeter: accepts Btec applicants.
University of Glasgow: accepts Btec applicants who have taken certain subjects (University of Glasgow courses)
Imperial College London: does not accept Btec applicants.
King's College London: will accept Btec applicants for the majority of its courses, but for most of them applicants will also need to have taken certain A-levels.
University of Leeds: accepts Btec applicants on may of it courses, but may need to also have other qualifications depending on the course.
University of Liverpool: accepts Btec applicants, but some courses may also require an A-level (University of Liverpool courses)
London School of Economics and Political Science: accepts Btec applicants on many of its courses, but may also require A-levels
University of Manchester: accepts Btec applicants provided they're taking a subject relevant to the chosen course.
Newcastle University: accepts Btec applicants.
University of Nottingham: accepts Btec applicants on most of its courses.
University of Oxford: accepts Btec applicants if they have also taken A-levels.
Queen Mary University of London: accepts Btec applicants on the majority of its courses.
Queen's University Belfast: accepts Btec applicants on many of its courses.
University of Sheffield: accepts Btec applicants.
University of Southampton: accepts Btec applicants.
University College London: accepts Btec applicants.
University of Warwick: Btec applicants will be considered on an individual basis. Btecs may be acceptable on their own or together with other qualifications depending on the course.
University of York: accepts Btec applicants, but may ask for an additional
Here is the universities reply to the Uni guide in Jan 2021. There used to be a guy on here who contacted all rg universities and Cambridge and Imperial were 2 universities who werent accepting BTECs.

Which Russell Group universities accept Btecs?
There are 24 universities in the Russell Group here's what each one's official stance is on accepting undergraduate Btec students in general. Bear in mind that the specific requirements will vary depending on the course, so it's always worth checking the university's website or speaking to their admissions department.

University of Birmingham: accepts Btec applicants on many of its courses (University of Birmingham courses)
University of Bristol: accepts Btec applicants. For some subjects, it may ask for Distinctions in particular units or for an additional A-level.
University of Cambridge: the University of Cambridge would not accept a Btec in place of the required A-levels the university advises potential applicants taking a mix of qualifications to speak to a college admissions tutor to find out more.
Cardiff University: accepts Btec applicants on many of its courses, although you may also need A-levels.
Durham University: accepts Btec applicants on many of its courses (Durham University courses)
University of Edinburgh: accepts Btec applicants who have taken certain subjects.
University of Exeter: accepts Btec applicants.
University of Glasgow: accepts Btec applicants who have taken certain subjects (University of Glasgow courses)
Imperial College London: does not accept Btec applicants.
King's College London: will accept Btec applicants for the majority of its courses, but for most of them applicants will also need to have taken certain A-levels.
University of Leeds: accepts Btec applicants on may of it courses, but may need to also have other qualifications depending on the course.
University of Liverpool: accepts Btec applicants, but some courses may also require an A-level (University of Liverpool courses)
London School of Economics and Political Science: accepts Btec applicants on many of its courses, but may also require A-levels
University of Manchester: accepts Btec applicants provided they're taking a subject relevant to the chosen course.
Newcastle University: accepts Btec applicants.
University of Nottingham: accepts Btec applicants on most of its courses.
University of Oxford: accepts Btec applicants if they have also taken A-levels.
Queen Mary University of London: accepts Btec applicants on the majority of its courses.
Queen's University Belfast: accepts Btec applicants on many of its courses.
University of Sheffield: accepts Btec applicants.
University of Southampton: accepts Btec applicants.
University College London: accepts Btec applicants.
University of Warwick: Btec applicants will be considered on an individual basis. Btecs may be acceptable on their own or together with other qualifications depending on the course.
University of York: accepts Btec applicants, but may ask for an additional

Here, cambridge explicitly states:

All Colleges, except Trinity College, welcome applications from students taking A Level Mathematics and a suitable vocational qualification, e.g. a BTEC Higher National Diploma, in an engineering discipline. Applicants are expected to achieve the highest possible grades in A Level Mathematics and the vocational qualification. Those taking the Single Award Applied A Level in Engineering or the Principle Learning components of the Advanced Diploma in Engineering must also be taking A Levels in Mathematics and Physics.

You can go to cam as long as you take the engineering btec and have a math a level
(edited 2 years ago)

https://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/requirements

Link above states how you can do engineering course at Cambridge for example, they accept as long as you do a BTEC diploma, equivalent to 3 a levels, and math a level however all have to be of the highest grade. There are other options as well, bathe, for example which is known for it's automotive industry
Reply 18

Generally you need physics and maths especially for oxford and cambridge or the higher ranked russel groups,, however some russel groups (eg cardiff) and other universities only need maths :smile:
as long as you have maths you should be good for most engineering courses

Quick Reply

Latest