The Student Room Group

Problems with IDLE (for Python)

Hi i'm not sure if this is the right place, so feel free to move.

I've recently (past couple of days) started teaching myself python, so sorry if i sound like i don't know what i'm talking about (cos i probably don't), and so far this is going far better than any other attempt i've made to learn a language.

I've been using IDLE to write and compile the code and over the few days every so often when i click run it comes up with error messages (not faulty code) but i generally ignored it and tryed again and it works. The problem is that it wastes time and recently has been getting worse and won't even open the program now. Here's the error messages (two come up in a row);

IDLE Subprocess Error
Socket Error: Connection refused

Subprocess Startup Error
IDLE's subprocess didn't make connection. Either IDLE can't start a subprocess or personal firewall software is blocking the connection.

What i don't understand is why it only happens some of the time. Surely if my firewall is blocking it, it wouldn't work ever? Why is a firewall even involved? I've tried unblocking related things from my firewall, trouble is i'm not entirely sure what the program is :redface: I usually access it through a shortcut and don't really understand IDLE. If it is not this what else could the problem be?

This might not have anything to do with IDLE (hence why i'm not sure if this is the right place) but does anyone have any suggestions? It's getting really annoying.

Thanks for any help and sorry about my ignorance.
Reply 1
Idle connects to itself via the local loopback as a means of inter-process communication. As threads come and go, it's probably trying to get different socket numbers, which may or may not collide with those already in use by other applications.

As for how to solve it, I'm not entirely sure. There are some newsgroup posts on the matter (I did a quick search) which should point you in the right direction.
Do you use a decent software firewall? This could be causing the issue
slugonamission
Do you use a decent software firewall? This could be causing the issue

I use the windows one :biggrin: If it were the firewall why would i have problems just some of the time? Sorry, if i'm being stupid.

I'm able to to use it okay at the moment, but it can be really irratating. If it helps (though i may be imagining it) the problem seem to occur more often when i have stuff open e.g. firefox.

Thanks for the post -Em-, i'm afraid that doesn't mean too much to me. I've tried searching around but havn't found much.
Reply 4
schrodinger's cat
I use the windows one :biggrin: If it were the firewall why would i have problems just some of the time? Sorry, if i'm being stupid.

I'm able to to use it okay at the moment, but it can be really irratating. If it helps (though i may be imagining it) the problem seem to occur more often when i have stuff open e.g. firefox.

Thanks for the post -Em-, i'm afraid that doesn't mean too much to me. I've tried searching around but havn't found much.

If it is the firewall, and you are using Windows Firewall, then just add IDLE and Python.exe as exceptions and see if it works.
Goto Control Panel -> Windows Firewall ->
In the Exceptions Tab, Add Program, browse to the Python/IDLE directory and select the relavent excecutable files.
charith_a
If it is the firewall, and you are using Windows Firewall, then just add IDLE and Python.exe as exceptions and see if it works.
Goto Control Panel -> Windows Firewall ->
In the Exceptions Tab, Add Program, browse to the Python/IDLE directory and select the relavent excecutable files.

Thanks. I have tried this before and it hadn't made much difference, though i'm not 100% sure i've unblocked the files which are relevant - i've tried unblocking pretty much everything related.

Latest

Trending

Trending