The Student Room Group

A Level Computer Science Advice

Hey everyone, I am interested in doing comp sci at A level but i didn't do it at gcse. what would you recommend that i do to prepare myself?

edit: also would you say that maths is a huge part of it?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by emblematic-climb
Hey everyone, I am interested in doing comp sci at A level but i didn't do it at gcse. what would you recommend that i do to prepare myself?

0 preperation needed. Maybe learn a little python like Loops (for, while), if statements <-- fundamentals. You will be taught/ have time to go over them for ur a level.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2

a similar thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7370559#post98620404

Goodluck :smile:
Reply 3

I am doing A level CS (yr 12 going into yr13) without doing it as gcse and the theory is more straightfoward than i first thought it would be. Programming can be difficult to grasp at first but you pick it up with regular practice.
No prep is needed
(edited 8 months ago)
I've just finished A level comp sci & I would say to try and learn how to code on your own too before hand/while doing it, they dont expect you to have done anything but it helps. Codecademy and other things have free courses learning the basics of the languages or even try leetcode to get better at problem solving, Also find out what language your course is.
Original post by j1_
I am doing A level CS (yr 12 going into yr13) without doing it as gcse and the theory is more straightfoward than i first thought it would be. Programming can be difficult to grasp at first but you pick it up with regular practice.
No prep is needed

do you do as level or alevel? also what exam board do you do?
Reply 6
do you do as level or alevel? also what exam board do you do?

I did AS exams in May, as my sixth form uses them to decide whether I go to year 13. I managed to do well enough to stay (3marks from a grade B).
I do OCR Computer Science and found websites like CodeSkulptor3 good to practice coding as it mimics python without actually needing to download it, as it works on your browser. So maybe getting used to your Programming Language (even if is just learning basics ) would be beneficial but not essential. As for the theory, I used the OCR Textbook combined with YouTube channels like MrBrownCS good for learning theory.
Original post by harveymulroney
I've just finished A level comp sci & I would say to try and learn how to code on your own too before hand/while doing it, they dont expect you to have done anything but it helps. Codecademy and other things have free courses learning the basics of the languages or even try leetcode to get better at problem solving, Also find out what language your course is.

which code would you recommend to learn?
Reply 8
which code would you recommend to learn?

Most sixth forms go for Python (drop an email to your potential CS teacher at 6th form to confirm), so if you aren't sure, start learning Python basics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending