The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Online MSc in AI - Sept 2023

Has anyone been accepted for the online MSc in AI at the University of Bath for the September intake yet?

Also does anyone know how many students they take on each intake please?
*bump*
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hey guys, Im really interested in this course. Is there a main thread for this somewhere?
Original post by Altaranfer123
Hey guys, Im really interested in this course. Is there a main thread for this somewhere?

Hiya

I can’t find one, and haven’t had much luck finding others who have applied so might be worth making a new one?

Which intake are you interested in?
Original post by PostgradHopeful2
Hiya

I can’t find one, and haven’t had much luck finding others who have applied so might be worth making a new one?

Which intake are you interested in?

Hey, yeah we probably should make a new one, it’s usually a bad sign when you can’t find a huge thread about the course in all honesty. I’m in the first year of my PhD atm so I want to start in September next year rather than this year. I might start earlier though depending on the reviews of this course.
Original post by Altaranfer123
Hey, yeah we probably should make a new one, it’s usually a bad sign when you can’t find a huge thread about the course in all honesty. I’m in the first year of my PhD atm so I want to start in September next year rather than this year. I might start earlier though depending on the reviews of this course.

I’m not sure how many people they take on. So maybe there’s not a lot of people who use TSR?
I like to know what's the average student size in a cohort?
Hello bro
Reply 8
Hi I've just started the online MSc in AI at Bath - It looks like there are around 20-30 people doing the course in this cohort.

2 weeks in and a LOT of self-study. No online lectures/recordings, interesting to see how this goes. Will keep you updated.
Original post by Chrisaddo
Hi I've just started the online MSc in AI at Bath - It looks like there are around 20-30 people doing the course in this cohort.

2 weeks in and a LOT of self-study. No online lectures/recordings, interesting to see how this goes. Will keep you updated.

Just out of interest, do they give you any weekly reading lists with page numbers?
Not even recordings?

Is the courser material dense? Or is it easy to read?

What are the assignments like? No need to tell me what's on it, just let me know how does it compare with a typical assignment in university?
Original post by Chrisaddo

Hi Chrisaddo - I wonder how is it going so far with this course. I am looking to join in May 2024 but couldn't find many reviews out there (which, in my opinion, is a good sign)...
Do you have a coding background? Any insights about the course will be great. Thanks
Hello all, I am interested in applying for this course for May 2024 start. How is it going so far for your cohort? any information is appreciated.
I'm almost finished with this MSC. A few things to mention:
You really really need to know Python very well. The first lessons will get you up to date with Python, but I believe this isn't enough. If you don't know Python you will struggle big time.
If you have other commitments like work, it will be hard to follow the lessons and do the assignments. I jump into assignments directly because of time constraints.

Cons: No recordings (very few really), thin course content and no time to reflect and what you've learned. I found myself spending a lot of time googling and on youtube to get some of the course content.

Pro's: as any MSc, it will force you to be disciplined. Questions about the course and assignments are answered in time, although some of the assignments questions are not clear. Assignments overall are fair. Some are easy and some are hard. The biggest problem is managing time. I think you need at least 20hr per week to do well in this MSc.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm almost finished with this MSC. A few things to mention:
You really really need to know Python very well. The first lessons will get you up to date with Python, but I believe this isn't enough. If you don't know Python you will struggle big time.
If you have other commitments like work, it will be hard to follow the lessons and do the assignments. I jump into assignments directly because of time constraints.

Cons: No recordings (very few really), thin course content and no time to reflect and what you've learned. I found myself spending a lot of time googling and on youtube to get some of the course content.

Pro's: as any MSc, it will force you to be disciplined. Questions about the course and assignments are answered in time, although some of the assignments questions are not clear. Assignments overall are fair. Some are easy and some are hard. The biggest problem is managing time. I think you need at least 20hr per week to do well in this MSc.

Thanks for the very useful insight. I have advanced programming skills but not in Python (PHP, Powershell) and have been working on automation and coding for years. Do you think this will make matters easier?

I will be upskilling with Python in the meantime should I get an offer.

I work full-time as an IT consultant, with family and little kids but I am hoping to get support from work to achieve 20 hours a week of study.

I know it won't be easy.... hence your insights are really important...
Congrats on almost finishing the MSc in AI! Well done! looking back, do you see it was worthwhile?
Did you have to take breaks between modules/units? How long did it take you so far to get to this point in the course?
Was math requirements a problem for you? (i.e. liner Algebra and Calculus) did you find maths "hard"?

Any advice on preparation work that would make my life easier when I start in May (apart from upskilling in Python)?
Many thanks again
Original post by Superman976
Thanks for the very useful insight. I have advanced programming skills but not in Python (PHP, Powershell) and have been working on automation and coding for years. Do you think this will make matters easier?

I will be upskilling with Python in the meantime should I get an offer.

I work full-time as an IT consultant, with family and little kids but I am hoping to get support from work to achieve 20 hours a week of study.

I know it won't be easy.... hence your insights are really important...
Congrats on almost finishing the MSc in AI! Well done! looking back, do you see it was worthwhile?
Did you have to take breaks between modules/units? How long did it take you so far to get to this point in the course?
Was math requirements a problem for you? (i.e. liner Algebra and Calculus) did you find maths "hard"?

Any advice on preparation work that would make my life easier when I start in May (apart from upskilling in Python)?
Many thanks again

If you are a coder it certainly make things easier. But I recommend to upskill on Python before you start the degree. I do know someone who dropped from the course because they didn't know how advanced Python requirements were. If you get the advanced stuff like OOP..etc you should be fine.

I'm an IT consultant too and have two kids. I have to say it's been a struggle to hold everything together. I did ask for extensions in some assignments. The support team will work with you to understand you situation and will try to help. But it is still a lot of stress. Get the buy in from your work both to give you time and help you financially (my work is paying for this atm).

looking back, do you see it was worthwhile?
This really depends on what you want to do with the degree. For me this is a good addition in my CV and related to my current job. I could have done the same by self-study on youtube and other online resources, so the online degree doesn't give you anything special. However, I have kids and a full-time job, so I know I will never have the discipline to do self-study for 2 years. Plus I'm not paying for it, so yes it is worth it.

Did you have to take breaks between modules/units?
I did take a 4 months break because of work/private life.

How long did it take you so far to get to this point in the course?
Not sure I understand. I'm almost done with the units. It's been almost 2years.

Never had issues with Math. That being said, there is only one module that has Math exclusively. I think if you follow the course and do some googling you should be able to pass it. Python however is needed throughout the course, so you can't escape it.

Let me know if you need more info. Hopefully this was helpful.
Original post by Anonymous #1
If you are a coder it certainly make things easier. But I recommend to upskill on Python before you start the degree. I do know someone who dropped from the course because they didn't know how advanced Python requirements were. If you get the advanced stuff like OOP..etc you should be fine.

I'm an IT consultant too and have two kids. I have to say it's been a struggle to hold everything together. I did ask for extensions in some assignments. The support team will work with you to understand you situation and will try to help. But it is still a lot of stress. Get the buy in from your work both to give you time and help you financially (my work is paying for this atm).

looking back, do you see it was worthwhile?
This really depends on what you want to do with the degree. For me this is a good addition in my CV and related to my current job. I could have done the same by self-study on youtube and other online resources, so the online degree doesn't give you anything special. However, I have kids and a full-time job, so I know I will never have the discipline to do self-study for 2 years. Plus I'm not paying for it, so yes it is worth it.

Did you have to take breaks between modules/units?
I did take a 4 months break because of work/private life.

How long did it take you so far to get to this point in the course?
Not sure I understand. I'm almost done with the units. It's been almost 2years.

Never had issues with Math. That being said, there is only one module that has Math exclusively. I think if you follow the course and do some googling you should be able to pass it. Python however is needed throughout the course, so you can't escape it.

Let me know if you need more info. Hopefully this was helpful.

Can't thank you enough for taking the time mate - My company will be buying in so I think it's a great investment for the future for myself and the business. I will apply and see how it goes. Since you are anonymous, please watch this thread so I can come back to you if another question pops up 🙂 or feel free to DM me if that's ok. Cheers
I’m a bit surprised that this course has no genetic algorithms or knowledge representation…
I have also done this MSc and let me tell you some modules were insane.

For the maths modules, you should to have studied mathematics at at university level. A level maths is not sufficient.

Bath advertises the course to be a part time taught masters, delivered in distance learning format, for busy professionals. Having studied at the Open University previously with a first class degree, I find their marketing material and laughable. The presentation is a joke, with no tutorial and lackluster support. The intensity is insane, and can hardly be done in 20 hours a week.

Bath: it takes more than taking an on campus programme and deliver it almost 1:1 online. Either drop the words 'part time' or be honest about the time commitment or don't advertise it to professionals.
Original post by Anonymous #2
I have also done this MSc and let me tell you some modules were insane.

For the maths modules, you should to have studied mathematics at at university level. A level maths is not sufficient.

Bath advertises the course to be a part time taught masters, delivered in distance learning format, for busy professionals. Having studied at the Open University previously with a first class degree, I find their marketing material and laughable. The presentation is a joke, with no tutorial and lackluster support. The intensity is insane, and can hardly be done in 20 hours a week.

Bath: it takes more than taking an on campus programme and deliver it almost 1:1 online. Either drop the words 'part time' or be honest about the time commitment or don't advertise it to professionals.

I received an offer to start the course in May. Could you please clarify a bit more on the maths difficulty? what has worked for you to overcome them? Any resources or or specific areas to focus on in my preparations? which unit requires those maths skills in particular? the comment above you said that maths was required mainly for 1 unit. What was your experience please? Any info is highly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest