The Student Room Group
Reply 1
IS this for A-level? There's really no need to do any advance reading. I'd be saying this to a uni student let alone a futureA-level one. I could suggest a few things but I'm quite hesistant to. I don't know the syllabus and exam board you'll be worth so have no idea bout the course content. Is there a lot of philosophy and ethics? Do you know of any areas yourself?
Reply 2
River85
IS this for A-level? There's really no need to do any advance reading. I'd be saying this to a uni student let alone a futureA-level one. I could suggest a few things but I'm quite hesistant to. I don't know the syllabus and exam board you'll be worth so have no idea bout the course content. Is there a lot of philosophy and ethics? Do you know of any areas yourself?

I'm just starting A2 but want to do outside reading for a possible oxbridge application. I dont want to have to mistakenly buy and crawl through boring/awful books so wondering if there have been any which people loved.
Reply 3
I read the Peter Vardy books on the problem of evil and find that they link in very well with the A2 Rs. I find that everything else is either difficult to understand/ expensive.
Reply 4
T-o dore
I'm just starting A2 but want to do outside reading for a possible oxbridge application. I dont want to have to mistakenly buy and crawl through boring/awful books so wondering if there have been any which people loved.

Oxbrdige applicant to what? Theology or philosophy? What will you be studying at A2 (what have you studied at AS)?
Reply 5
River85
Oxbrdige applicant to what? Theology or philosophy? What will you be studying at A2 (what have you studied at AS)?

Theology and religious studies at Cambridge.

Did history, theology, music, crit think, theatre studies at AS and am carrying on Theology, history, theatre studies and an AEA in religious studies next year.
Reply 6
Well this probably is too detailed and is more heavily biased toward ethics and political philosophy than any theology but you can have a look: -

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=13182074#post13182074

MacIntyre's After Vritue would still be of particular interest.

Apart from that then David Ford is quite good and he has a decent general introduction to Theology which may still be of some benefit to an A-level student: -

Ford, David F. Theology. A Very Short Introduction (Oxford, 2000).

Also for philosophy/theology consider

Sokolowski, R., The God of Faith and Reason (Washington, 1995)

Are you interested in world religious, particularly Islam?

William Chittick & Sachiko Murata,
The Vision of Islam (Continuum International, 1995)

A lucid account of the fundamental beliefs of Islam, including faith, practice, spirituality and the Muslim view of history with.

Neal Robinson, slam: A Concise Introduction (Curzon Press, 1999)
Excellent short introductory book that provised an overview of Muslim history with insights into issues of religious faith and practice.

Imam Ghazali Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship (The Islamic Foundation, 1983)
Translation of an eleventh-century treatise on the spiritual realities which underpin Islamic practice. Has a particularly good section on the Five Pillars. May be a bit difficult to get hold of though.

But I wouldn't advise you to go out and buy loads of books, or even a few. Try and get whatever you can from a library. Also consider Internet resources.

There may still be topics of interest in the Stanford encyclopedia and also the Internet Encylopaedia of philoopsophy

http://www.seop.leeds.ac.uk/contents.html

http://www.iep.utm.edu/

Latest