The Student Room Group

LPC Interviewing Exam

I just had my interviewing exam and completely messed up the law and struggled to summarise some of the key facts. I managed to stick to the structure and came to a conclusion with the next steps etc., I was wondering how bad you have to be to fail it?
Reply 1
I had mine today and it went so bad, I basically did not give any advice or any options because my assessor had changed the entire dynamic of the interview and interrupted so many times. It was like a horror show in that room. I did follow the ULAW structure for most part - I did all the right things before the “advice” section and then I did the closing/parting okay too. Fingers crossed I have just passed although I’m very scared because I really messed up the advice bit.
Reply 2
Original post by xoxoF
I had mine today and it went so bad, I basically did not give any advice or any options because my assessor had changed the entire dynamic of the interview and interrupted so many times. It was like a horror show in that room. I did fthatollow the ULAW structure for most part - I did all the right things before the “advice” section and then I did the closing/parting okay too. Fingers crossed I have just passed although I’m very scared because I really messed up the advice bit.

that is exactly how I felt as well! my accessor had to push me on to the right part of the advice. How did you do in your mock?

I comfortably passed my mock and felt much more confident with it. I don't know how bad it has to be before they actually fail you
Reply 3
Hopefully we will pass. Are you at ULAW too? There are 8 main boxes on the guidelines and if you did at least 4 then you will pass as we only need 50%. I think you have to do pretty bad to fail (like sit in silence) or say something rude, which we both didn’t do. Did you follow the structure? I think I did mainly (apart from advice). Don’t dwell on it and focus on passing all the other exams.
Reply 4
Yes at Ulaw! and I followed the structure and hit all the main points but other than that can't say I really did anything else that great. I just hope it was enough :frown:
Reply 5
Ahh, hopefully - trust me I can’t stop thinking about how wrong I went. Literally I was waffling so much. I think the results are out in March so try not to worry anymore, I have my wills exam tomorrow so trying to focus on that. I hope everything goes well for you and good luck with the rest of your exams!
Reply 6
me too! and same! wishing you the best luck and hope you get a good result in March! fingers crossed for both of us!
Reply 7
Original post by xoxoF
I had mine today and it went so bad, I basically did not give any advice or any options because my assessor had changed the entire dynamic of the interview and interrupted so many times. It was like a horror show in that room. I did follow the ULAW structure for most part - I did all the right things before the “advice” section and then I did the closing/parting okay too. Fingers crossed I have just passed although I’m very scared because I really messed up the advice bit.

WOW! I literally experienced the same... I barely had any time for advising... Having asked so many questions, I had to take some time to plan what I was going to say before advising... All of a sudden right before starting to give options, I was given the time warning... I told I needed more information to be able to give advise on options available so that I could do the ending properly.... So I partially skipped an important element of advising.

I really hope that it will be ok... The fact that I may lose my TC over an interviewing exam scares the hell out of me... I did so well in the mock exam that I did not even realize being overtime was possible... I guess we will have to wait and see... Good luck guys!
don't worry peeps. I did the LPC last year at ULAW and was convinced that I'd failed the interviewing exam but literally every single person I know passed it no matter how bad they think it went (and mine was horrendous)
Reply 9
Original post by jesswroe97
don't worry peeps. I did the LPC last year at ULAW and was convinced that I'd failed the interviewing exam but literally every single person I know passed it no matter how bad they think it went (and mine was horrendous)

Thank buddy! The exams are coming up... So we needed to hear this ahaha
I'm with jesswroe97 on this one. I did the interviewing exam last December and as long as you followed the structure you should be fine.
Did you guys pass in the end?
Original post by LPCstudent1234
Did you guys pass in the end?

Hello LPCstudent1234

I just did my interviewing exam in December and I feel as though it went well! I used the structure CHARA to question the client.

CHARA stands for:
Characater
History
Assets
Relationships
Attitudes

I based my questions using these 5 headings to assist with my interview.

Other Tips:
- Remain calm
- You can always take a minute to gather your thoughts, just explain this to the client
- I found taking notes helped me when reading back to the client what I had understood
- Nodd so that the client knows you are listening
- Make eye contact! I found that this helped with my questioning

I hope these tips help :smile:

Any questions, please do ask

Tabby
(Student Ambassador - Guildford)
Original post by Acelow
Hi guys! I had to basically advise someone who wanted to develop a land and was worried about antagonising the neighbours, high court costs and selling their land. I forgot to ask about the neighbours so I forgot to give advice on that issue too due to lack of time. All else was fine with the exception of some audio trouble which they knew about and so I had to ask them to repeat stuff twice, fumbling in the beginning of the questioning (not too much), may have forgotten to hum/nod/look at camera (I am unsure on the camera point since I did have to look up twice to ask them to repeat) while they were giving the info spiel since I was writing it all down and I had to slightly rush the conclusion (5 mins left - still very understandable but may have not done the next steps part though did ask them to come back with instructions once they felt they had chosen one of the options I gave which were 3). Still finished within the time limit. I asked the relevant questions by following the legal note and they screenshared the agreement with me. I let the client choose from the options that I gave. Do you think I will pass even if I forgot to do/did all that?

Why post this on three different old threads instead of just starting your own?
Reply 14
Hi! Sorry about that. Guess with my anxiety I kinda forgot that option existed while browsing for answers. I will start a new one.
hi, did you end up passing?
Reply 16
Original post by samishah01
hi, did you end up passing?

Hello! No I didn’t unfortunately but I passed the one after.
Reply 17
Original post by LPCstudent1
I just had my interviewing exam and completely messed up the law and struggled to summarise some of the key facts. I managed to stick to the structure and came to a conclusion with the next steps etc., I was wondering how bad you have to be to fail it?

Hi, I had mine this week and I just did this and I’m really worried. Do you mind telling me if you passed?

I realised once I had started advising (not very long but after but I had clearly started outlining the law) and I said something along the lines of “before we go any further I just want to check that I have all of the correct and relevant information and your concerns” and went back and did it. But I’m really worried…
Reply 18
Original post by LPCstudent1

Hi, I had mine this week and I just did this and I’m really worried. Do you mind telling me if you passed?

I realised once I had started advising (not very long but after but I had clearly started outlining the law) and I said something along the lines of “before we go any further I just want to check that I have all of the correct and relevant information and your concerns” and went back and did it. But I’m really worried…

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending