The Student Room Group

LPC Exams ULaw

I am currently a LPC LLM student, who has 2 core module exams outstanding. I have just sat an elective exam as my last attempt. I am on my 3rd and last attempt at sitting one of the core exams. I am worried in case I don't pass. The staff at ULaw informed me if I don't pass the elective exam, then I can still qualify with a LPC rather than an LPC LLM. Can anyone confirm this? Can anyone also confirm what would happen if I failed the core exams please.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Lawstudent11996
I am currently a LPC LLM student, who has 2 core module exams outstanding. I have just sat an elective exam as my last attempt. I am on my 3rd and last attempt at sitting one of the core exams. I am worried in case I don't pass. The staff at ULaw informed me if I don't pass the elective exam, then I can still qualify with a LPC rather than an LPC LLM. Can anyone confirm this? Can anyone also confirm what would happen if I failed the core exams please.

I would trust what your tutors have informed you as being correct. They will be aware of your current academic progression and how you will be awarded based on your current academic record and results.

Typically, if you have taken the LPC, this doesn't have a combined LLM, and from my understanding this is something that ULaw offers free of charge to LPC applicants to graduate with a LLM in Legal Practice.

If you fail the elective module, given you've opt'd for the LLM Additional Elective, you would fail to meet the credit requirements needed to obtain the 'LLM' component of the course, meaning you can still graduate with a Legal Practice qualification, albeit not a LLM in Legal Practice.

If you fail core exams it would come down to your overall aggregated performance, similar to your UG experience. However, there will be certain modules you need to have certain passes in, in order to be eligible to qualify as a solicitor following your Training Contract - these being the seven foundations in the English and Welsh legal system (Constitution (Administrative/Public) Law, Land Law, Contract Law, Criminal Law, Tort Law, Equity & Trusts Law and EU Law (or retained EU Law)).

It would be best to speak to your tutor again to get a certain answer on these things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending