The Student Room Group
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website

Studying the LPC

Hi guys

I'm currently doing the legal practice course at the University of Law in Liverpool. If anyone has any questions about the LPC (content, how it's examined, contact hours etc) or about studying at the University of Law then let me know!

Always happy to help :smile:

Emily (Student Ambassador, LPC, Liverpool)
Reply 1
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi guys

I'm currently doing the legal practice course at the University of Law in Liverpool. If anyone has any questions about the LPC (content, how it's examined, contact hours etc) or about studying at the University of Law then let me know!

Always happy to help :smile:

Hi,

Im looking at studying the LPC at University of law but one of the London ones, can you tell me a bit about the way its all delivered? How many days is the course per week? Have you found it a lot harder than the LLB?

thanks
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey,

Ideally when should I apply by?
Original post by chulme87
Hi,

Im looking at studying the LPC at University of law but one of the London ones, can you tell me a bit about the way its all delivered? How many days is the course per week? Have you found it a lot harder than the LLB?

thanks

Hey!

The LPC is taught by mainly workshops where you are given work to complete each week before attending the session. This usually consists of a lot of reading and then answering questions that are set & there are some online lectures that you can access too! In the workshops the teaching is mainly focused on group work which I think works really well as you get to know everyone in your class really well and it is a lot more sociable than having lectures. In the workshops you go through the prep you had to do and you usually get given model answers (which is really good when it comes to the exams as they are open book!) and then in groups you answer specific questions set. Ulaw is really flexible as before starting the course you can choose which days you would like to study so you can work it around work commitments etc. For the LPC you are in two set days a week and the workshops take 2 hours per subject, so you are usually in around 8 hours a week. The uni has an open door policy so if you are ever stuck or have any questions then the tutors are always happy to help.

Personally I did find that the jump from LLB to the LPC was big as it is more practical and a new way of learning. At the start of the year I struggled to keep up with the amount of reading for the workshops, however as time went on it has seemed to get much easier! The exams at Ulaw are all open book too so we can take in any books, workshop tasks and our own notes into the exams which was such a relief when it came to the exams.

I hope this helps!

If you have any other questions then let me know :smile:

Original post by pearlyy
Hey,

Ideally when should I apply by?

Hey!

For the LPC you aren't in a rush to apply like you are for undergraduate courses! I applied for Ulaw in June, but apply sooner rather than later if it helps put you at ease as you get a conditional offer within a few weeks which means your place is confirmed subject to your law degree results!

I hope this helps!

hey!

I wanna know if you don't mind me asking; the LPC LLM in Professional Legal Practice or LPC MSc in Law, Business and Management.

I have had a read through the FAQs but I am still quite indecisive,
Which did you go with and would you have rather gone with the other?

also, with the campuses, between Nottingham Leeds and Manchester,(or the rest) which would you recommend?

I am an international student so I'm quite flexible at this time, I can go anywhere.
except London which I'm not a huge fan of.

Housing wise, as well? I am looking to rent privately as I would love to secure a job somewhere around the area when I'm finished and stay retain the same apartment.

Looking for a decent priced minimalist apartment, which of these cities would you recommend for this as well?
Original post by janetapple
hey!

I wanna know if you don't mind me asking; the LPC LLM in Professional Legal Practice or LPC MSc in Law, Business and Management.

I have had a read through the FAQs but I am still quite indecisive,
Which did you go with and would you have rather gone with the other?

also, with the campuses, between Nottingham Leeds and Manchester,(or the rest) which would you recommend?

I am an international student so I'm quite flexible at this time, I can go anywhere.
except London which I'm not a huge fan of.

Housing wise, as well? I am looking to rent privately as I would love to secure a job somewhere around the area when I'm finished and stay retain the same apartment.

Looking for a decent priced minimalist apartment, which of these cities would you recommend for this as well?

Hey!

I am currently doing the LPC with the MSc in Business Management at the Liverpool campus.

I decided to do the MSc instead of the LLM as I was still not 100% sure what law I wanted to go into so I did it to broaden my knowledge. If you are wanting to work in corporate/commercial law then employers seem to like the MSc as a few people in my class got told they had to do the MSc in business management from law firms that they have training contracts at. The MSc has been quite challenging and there is maths involved (which isn't my strong point!) but I have enjoyed doing it and I'm glad I stuck with it as it has defiantly broadened my knowledge on business. It consists of 2 courseworks that are both 3,000 words each and then a 10 minute presentation.

If you choose to do the LLM I think there is slightly less work load however you will need to do a 3,000 word coursework and an exam in the summer (a bonus about ULaw is that all exams are open book). I think it depends on what kind of law you want to go into and what you will enjoy more - the majority of people have done the LLM and picked another elective subject to take.

I can't comment too much on the campuses as I have only studied at the Liverpool campus but I would recommend it! I think it's a smaller campus but all the tutors get to know you well and are able to help whenever you are stuck as they have an open door policy. The uni also has a really good careers service which I have used lots when applying to jobs as they can help with your CV, training contract applications and interviews. Liverpool is a really great city with lots of universities so there are lots of students from the UK and international students. In Liverpool there is lots of student accommodation where you can live in houses or have your own flat - the bonus about Liverpool is that it is a lot cheaper for accommodation then bigger cities like Manchester or London.

I hope this has helped! Let me know if you have any other questions

Emily
(Student Ambassador, LPC, Liverpool)
Reply 7
How many people in a workshop?
Original post by pearlyy
How many people in a workshop?

Hey,

In my class there is around 20 people - I think this is the usual class size

Emily
Reply 9
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hey,

In my class there is around 20 people - I think this is the usual class size

Emily

Thank you

Also, do you know if you’re allowed to apply for the bursaries if your LPC is funded by a law firm?
Original post by pearlyy
Thank you

Also, do you know if you’re allowed to apply for the bursaries if your LPC is funded by a law firm?

Hey,

I think it depends on each bursary/scholarship - If you email [email protected] they will clarify which bursaries will be available to you :smile:

I hope this helps!

Emily
Hi, I am currently at the stage where I need to decide whether to take the LPC LLM (Law and Business) or the LPC LLM (Additional Elective). My questions was mainly if anyone has had experience doing the Law and Business module and any pros/cons etc. Many Thanks.
Original post by SublimeArchon
Hi, I am currently at the stage where I need to decide whether to take the LPC LLM (Law and Business) or the LPC LLM (Additional Elective). My questions was mainly if anyone has had experience doing the Law and Business module and any pros/cons etc. Many Thanks.

Hey!

I have just finished doing the LPC MSc in business management! I did enjoy the course but I did find it quite challenging as there is quite a bit of maths involved which ins't my strong point! However, it depends on what kind of law you want to go into as some students were asked from employers to do the MSc so I do think it is favoured if you want to go into commercial/corporate law. The course content was quite interesting and a bonus of doing it is that you have one less exam in June as its assessed by a coursework and then another case study coursework and a presentation. I think the course has made me more commercially aware as although its business, it's often tailored to law firms so I can see why it is attractive to future employers.

If you have any more specific questions about the course then let me know!

Hope this helps

Emily
Do you have the all of the workshops with people in your TC cohort or is it just the electives you have together?
Reply 14
Hi there, I wondered if there is a sample timetable for the full time LPC at UoL (with a September start), ideally an example of last year's timetable? I can see the overview of dates and exams but am looking for more detail as I am trying to plan weeks where I would not need to be in person on campus. Otherwise, please could let me know roughly when mock exams are held?
Original post by cs1011
Hi there, I wondered if there is a sample timetable for the full time LPC at UoL (with a September start), ideally an example of last year's timetable? I can see the overview of dates and exams but am looking for more detail as I am trying to plan weeks where I would not need to be in person on campus. Otherwise, please could let me know roughly when mock exams are held?

https://www.studocu.com/en-gb/document/university-of-law/insurance-law-lpc/year-planner-2021-and-2022-for-legal-practice-course/19789422

This might be useful as it tells you what weeks the mocks are. If it's anything like this year, mocks are released a week or two before the deadline and you do them in your own time, it's down to you to make sure you do it in exam conditions. You also do not attend campus during week 7 or during the revision/assessment weeks unless you decide to do exams in person.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 16
Please I would need your help and advise, I have currently just started at Mortgage and I feel very anxious so any help would be appreciated, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending