The Student Room Group

laptop not connecting to wifi any ideas why ?

My laptop sometimes fails to detect the wifi signal or it is detecting the wifi but has problems connecting and when it connects it says no internet secured. This only started happening 2weeks ago , previously i had no issues. My phone and friend's laptop connects with no problem. Any idea what is wrong and how i can solve this.

I normally end up having to stand centimeters from the modem for 5 minutes before i can go to the other room or restarting it but i cant keep doing this several times a day . I'm running windows 10 Home 64 bit
Reply 1
Original post by hi2u_uk
My laptop sometimes fails to detect the wifi signal or it is detecting the wifi but has problems connecting and when it connects it says no internet secured. This only started happening 2weeks ago , previously i had no issues. My phone and friend's laptop connects with no problem. Any idea what is wrong and how i can solve this.

I normally end up having to stand centimeters from the modem for 5 minutes before i can go to the other room or restarting it but i cant keep doing this several times a day . I'm running windows 10 Home 64 bit

Hi
I had similar issues as you having with your laptop and it turned out to be my WiFi adapter was playing up and sometimes if I rebooted my laptop everything seemed okay for a while then back to square one again.
I am using windows 10 professional 64bit version and it was absolutely fine until the problem started, it wasn't the router / modem as provider checked everything on that side, and as you said everything else worked okay on it.

I'm not saying its your WiFi adapter on the laptop because it maybe other issues to like a update causing havoc but I ain't any expert like, I landed up taking my laptop back to the shop as was only months old and they tested it and just gave me a new machine and so far its been okay as I really needed it for university degree work like. I was ok as I had backed up my information.

Hope this is useful to you
Reply 2
I'd certainly look at the wifi adapter to start with.

Right click, search, type "adapter", select "Find a fix problems with your adapter"
Driver related probs
Reply 4
Original post by hi2u_uk

Yeah try reinstalling the adaptor drivers and see if that helps first as I didn't think on suggesting that until the other post mentioned it like but all I knew from shop was mine was in repairable so that's why I was giving another machine.
Reply 5
First thing to check is to plug an ethernet cable from laptop to modem/router - if it connects to the internet then that should rule out a modem/router/internet supply issue. Second thing to check is that your adapter on laptop is working as someone else suggested a simple fix might be to try to update the driver (probably going to need an internet connection for this so I would suggest connecting it via ethernet cable whilst you do it).

Next thing to check is the frequency settings, for this you will need to go to your router/modems homepage and make sure it is selected to (always use strongest channel), another thing to check for is wether or not your laptop is trying to connect to the 2k or 5k speed - the 5k speeds are faster but the distance to connect to them is a bit limited. If you have a 5k option try turning it off and see what happens.

If you are running multiple devices wirelessly from the same router/modem you might be getting IP conflicts between your devices, to resolve this once you have all your devices up and running and connected at the same time, go to your routers homepage and find the dns/ip protocol page and go down each device and select "always use this ip" or something similar.
I had a similar problem, my wi-fi drivers needed to be reinstalled then it worked fine Just type in name of laptop and brand type, and download on another laptop, then copy across and install
Reply 7
Hello thanks for the replies.
The internet is fine when an ethernet cable is used however my cable is about 30 cm long so i cant use it unless i am standing right next to the router.

I have tried trouble shooter on the wifi adapter however it says that trouble shooter couldn't identify the problem.
Any other suggestions ?
How do i uninstall and reinstall the wifi adapter >
Reply 8
I tried the trouble shooter again and now it just says problems with wireless adapter or access point - not fixed
Original post by hi2u_uk
I tried the trouble shooter again and now it just says problems with wireless adapter or access point - not fixed

Might at this point be a hardware problem as a driver reinstall is not fixing things, had that happen myself once. In many laptops its very easy to pull out and replace the WiFi adapter as its on a little sub board. Typically V cheap if you have the skills as well. Alternatively, you could go with a USB WiFi dongle instead.
Had an issue with this on a laptop I had years ago. Turned out to be a pretty simple problem that portable devices are susceptible to when it comes to components that aren't soldered on the board. The wifi adapter was just loose, it wasn't fully slotted into the port.

I'd just open up the laptop and see if you can get at the wifi adapter (with previous laptops I owned it was pretty simple to get at, literally just unscrew the plastic back and you're at it) and slot it back in, see if that fixes anything.
Read instructions or call the broadband provider.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending