The Student Room Group

too much tax

Hey guys, on my recent payslip, there's a sections which says deductions and they've taken 25 pounds which is 20% of what i got as my gross pay.

The tax code at the top is BR1, and apparently that is not normal, my dad who is in finance says that they've got it wrong therefore they are charging me too much tax.

I go to school and ive got a part time job and i don't know whether i can get that refunded or do i contact the HR department to do it?
Reply 1
It can be sorted, you need a new tax code.
If you're at school and have a part time job you shouldn't be getting taxed at all! Speak to the people at work first, but they might not be able to refund you the money, you may have to phone the inland revenue (this is what i did when i had a similar problem, and i got refunded a couple of hundred pounds :smile: )
Reply 3
phone the HR tax office...if your lucky they might rebate you.... :smile: but your dad is right.. i think its 18 you start paying tax
Reply 4
samperry209
phone the HR tax office...if your lucky they might rebate you.... :smile: but your dad is right.. i think its 18 you start paying tax

nah it's when you earn over a certain amount regardless of age.
Reply 5
i swear i read something saying 18... must of misread!....but they tax you like hell if your self-employed!!
Reply 6
Either contact them or fill out a form to stop any more tax.
Yep age has no relevance: it's £6035 this year (well technically £5435 and a further £600, but we won't go into the 10% tax Labour U-turn!)

BR is the "second job" tax code, usually where they don't have other information about other jobs in that tax year. Usually gets applied if a) you have another job; or b) you haven't submitted a P45 from the last job, or, if it's your first job, you haven't completed a P46, which they should have given you at the start.

As everyone else said, ask the HR/Payroll people; probably just needs form P46 to be filled out. And if not, ask the Revenue! And if still nothing, wait till April and ask the Revenue again..
samperry209
i swear i read something saying 18... must of misread!....but they tax you like hell if your self-employed!!

Yes. Yes they do.

And I'm still filling out the tax return.. (OK this is because I'm lazy and didn't do it in April. Or May. Or June..)
I'm pretty sure that you should only be paying tax if you earn over £5430 per year.
Reply 10
DrNick2006
Yep age has no relevance: it's £6035 this year (well technically £5435 and a further £600, but we won't go into the 10% tax Labour U-turn!)

I didn't realise the amount was that high. Was worried about getting taxed back end of last financial year, but turns out I was way off.
Yes.... i filled my mum's out for her so many questions that were illrelevent!
DrNick2006
but we won't go into the 10% tax Labour U-turn!)

yer labour cocked up big style their....crippling the worse off

Latest

Trending

Trending