The Student Room Group

Assistance with unusual situation

Dear readers, I'm looking for some advice.
My child has applied for university in the UK for Sept 2023 and I have never dealt with any of this process before. The scenario is that my child and I (both UK passport holders) moved from the UK to the UAE in Sept 2021 for me to be closer to my partner after COVID, so my child has attended school here since then.
Seen as I wasn't sure how long we would be staying in the UAE I kept all my details in the UK (address, bank account, self-assessment return etc.) though we have not really been there much in the last 18 months.
So, my questions are, do I support my child's finance application (for both fees and maintenance) using my UK details, even though I'm not really there so much recently and the child will have graduated from a foreign school?
And also, my partner and I have only been married for 6 months and they live in the UAE (having never been to the UK) so do we need to include their income, even though they never financially supported my child.
We have already received Home Status from the final choice universities, but I want to make sure we are applying correctly.
Also, FYI, if I had known that the child was even considering university and the criteria for finance meant we had to live in the UK 3 years prior to the term start date, then we wouldn't have moved!
Further... FYI, I've also read online that even if the child lived abroad for some of the 3 years before they start university in the UK, if the child lived in the UK for over half their life (previously) then they should still be entitled to the fees and maintenance loans too. Is this correct?
I am seriously stressing out about this whole situation as I don't want to mess up her chances of receiving funding as she won't be able to go to university without the student finance support and that would break my heart.
Any advice or comments would be really very helpful.
Thank you,
Original post by Amanda.s82
Dear readers, I'm looking for some advice.
My child has applied for university in the UK for Sept 2023 and I have never dealt with any of this process before. The scenario is that my child and I (both UK passport holders) moved from the UK to the UAE in Sept 2021 for me to be closer to my partner after COVID, so my child has attended school here since then.
Seen as I wasn't sure how long we would be staying in the UAE I kept all my details in the UK (address, bank account, self-assessment return etc.) though we have not really been there much in the last 18 months.
So, my questions are, do I support my child's finance application (for both fees and maintenance) using my UK details, even though I'm not really there so much recently and the child will have graduated from a foreign school?
And also, my partner and I have only been married for 6 months and they live in the UAE (having never been to the UK) so do we need to include their income, even though they never financially supported my child.
We have already received Home Status from the final choice universities, but I want to make sure we are applying correctly.
Also, FYI, if I had known that the child was even considering university and the criteria for finance meant we had to live in the UK 3 years prior to the term start date, then we wouldn't have moved!
Further... FYI, I've also read online that even if the child lived abroad for some of the 3 years before they start university in the UK, if the child lived in the UK for over half their life (previously) then they should still be entitled to the fees and maintenance loans too. Is this correct?
I am seriously stressing out about this whole situation as I don't want to mess up her chances of receiving funding as she won't be able to go to university without the student finance support and that would break my heart.
Any advice or comments would be really very helpful.
Thank you,

Hi there,

The student would be best to apply now online on our website, so we can determine if she will be eligible or not. If the time outside the UK is temporary, then we will need evidence from the student to prove this for the team to review.

Regarding your husband, they will need to support the application by confirming their income if the student is looking for the higher finance. This is regardless whether they support the student financially or not.

Thanks,
Claire
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

The student would be best to apply now online on our website, so we can determine if she will be eligible or not. If the time outside the UK is temporary, then we will need evidence from the student to prove this for the team to review.

Regarding your husband, they will need to support the application by confirming their income if the student is looking for the higher finance. This is regardless whether they support the student financially or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Hiya Claire,

Thank you for your reply, we will go ahead and apply online ASAP.

What evidence may be needed for proof that it is temporary? We can try and get this ready now, so we are prepared.

And I have looked through the forms for my husband and I to complete, does the period of income for my husband need to be April 2021 to April 2022, or does his need to be January to December 2022 as his income is foreign? Again, we can get this ready too.

I appreciate your advice with this. Thank you
Original post by Amanda.s82
Hiya Claire,

Thank you for your reply, we will go ahead and apply online ASAP.

What evidence may be needed for proof that it is temporary? We can try and get this ready now, so we are prepared.

And I have looked through the forms for my husband and I to complete, does the period of income for my husband need to be April 2021 to April 2022, or does his need to be January to December 2022 as his income is foreign? Again, we can get this ready too.

I appreciate your advice with this. Thank you

For the 2023/24 AY we will request evidence for the tax year period 2021/22. If the sponsors tax year is different to that in the UK, the tax year period we request will be different. For a tax year that starts in January we will request evidence to cover the period January to December 2021.

Please see list below for acceptable evidence:

Letter from your employer (confirming salary for the tax year)
Accountant's letter
Self Assessment / P60 (or country equivalent)
Week 53 Payslip
Month 12 Payslip

We will always endeavour to process evidence regardless of the language it is in, however we would ask that any documents that are not in English are officially translated where possible.

Evidence for UK can be if the student kept a home address, bank accounts etc in the UK while being abroad. If parents were working abroad and had temporary contracts or visas, this could also be added.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
For the 2023/24 AY we will request evidence for the tax year period 2021/22. If the sponsors tax year is different to that in the UK, the tax year period we request will be different. For a tax year that starts in January we will request evidence to cover the period January to December 2021.

Please see list below for acceptable evidence:

Letter from your employer (confirming salary for the tax year)
Accountant's letter
Self Assessment / P60 (or country equivalent)
Week 53 Payslip
Month 12 Payslip

We will always endeavour to process evidence regardless of the language it is in, however we would ask that any documents that are not in English are officially translated where possible.

Evidence for UK can be if the student kept a home address, bank accounts etc in the UK while being abroad. If parents were working abroad and had temporary contracts or visas, this could also be added.

Thanks,
Claire

Hiya Claire,

Once again, your advice is much appreciated.

At least we can now prepare whatever might be necessary if it is required.

Thank you again, Amanda

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending