The Student Room Group

GCSE options - Stressed !!

Hi, so I’m in year 9 and we are picking our options soon, and I’m really confused, so at the moment I’m leaning towards history, computing and art. But i feel like that combination will be a lot of work, too much considering I am aiming to get all grade 9’s, it will just be a lot of work as I know history and art need a lot of time, along with computing it will be a lot, does anyone have experience with these 3 subjects? Also a lot of people are saying they regret computing, I feel like its an important subject ahh idk, because there’s a small possibility i might be interested in going into computing, but i hate coding now, even though I’m good at it. Also, i do love art a lot, but i also like drama so i would consider swapping them as i feel like drama is less work. Also, i could consider swapping geography for history maybe as it gets better results and is easier i think. BTW the boards we are doing are - ocr history, aqa fine art, aqa geography, aqa drama and ocr computing. Thank you, sorry for the long message X
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Hi! I'm not sure how much help I'll be here since I didn't take any of those subjects when I did my GCSE's but if you're aiming for 9s then pick the ones you're best at and most likely to get the higher grade in. Also think about what you want to take for A-level. For example you said you may be interested in going into computing so maybe pick computing in order to keep that door open. GCSE choices really don't matter too much in the long term, its just about getting the grades to get you into sixth form.

I hope this helped a little bit!
Reply 2
Original post by lucymant
Hi! I'm not sure how much help I'll be here since I didn't take any of those subjects when I did my GCSE's but if you're aiming for 9s then pick the ones you're best at and most likely to get the higher grade in. Also think about what you want to take for A-level. For example you said you may be interested in going into computing so maybe pick computing in order to keep that door open. GCSE choices really don't matter too much in the long term, its just about getting the grades to get you into sixth form.

I hope this helped a little bit!

Yeah this helped a lot ! Thank you sm!
Original post by Addie13
Hi, so I’m in year 9 and we are picking our options soon, and I’m really confused, so at the moment I’m leaning towards history, computing and art. But i feel like that combination will be a lot of work, too much considering I am aiming to get all grade 9’s, it will just be a lot of work as I know history and art need a lot of time, along with computing it will be a lot, does anyone have experience with these 3 subjects? Also a lot of people are saying they regret computing, I feel like its an important subject ahh idk, because there’s a small possibility i might be interested in going into computing, but i hate coding now, even though I’m good at it. Also, i do love art a lot, but i also like drama so i would consider swapping them as i feel like drama is less work. Also, i could consider swapping geography for history maybe as it gets better results and is easier i think. BTW the boards we are doing are - ocr history, aqa fine art, aqa geography, aqa drama and ocr computing. Thank you, sorry for the long message X

i am actually doing a few of the subjects you mentioned. currently doing ocr history and i will say it is a good subject. the content is not as exciting as yr9 stuff is, with learning about the norman conquest, making of america. it is easier for you if you can write fast, but then again, i'm a slow writer but i am still managing to get 8s and 7s. idk about aqa drama but i am doing ocr drama. but regardless, don't mistake it to be an easy subject. for the first unit, you have to devise your own play with a group that you don't choose and there is a huge portfolio you have to complete. it does take up a lot of your time but besides that, it is also fun. now, i don't do aqa geography or ocr computing but my friends do and from what i hear, geography is quite easy, definitely easier than history, as the highest marks you can get in a question is a 9 marker. computing however is really difficult. there is a lot to learn. but if you like it, do it. whatever gcses you pick don't really matter for a levels, as long as you get good grades. hope this helped!!
Hi. I study history so I can explain quite a bit - I do Edexcel. Edexcel has many options so hopefully your school picks the good ones, just search up the spec - regardless of the exam board, it is interesting but requires a lot of work because there is a hell of a lot of content, and the exams can ask questions about anything. It is also very essay-based based so time management is important, along with quickly making a judgement or argument. However, it is completely worth it if you are passionate and willing to put work into it, especially if considering history for A-levels. I don't do art or computer science, but I have friends who do. Art is heavy on coursework (which makes sense) but does take a lot of time. IMO computer science is practical but only take it if you enjoy it. My friends definitely say that paper 2 is harder (for OCR) and they don't particularly enjoy coding, but don't let that put you off at all - you most likely will have weaker points with most subjects. Hope that helps and good luck with your options
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Addie13

Hey!

I took History (AQA) and achieved a 9 after being predicted a 6, and Art (AQA) - I achieved a 5 (predicted 5) as I missed quite a big bit of the coursework section due to being off really ill for months which did impact my grade.

I’d recommend just choosing the subjects you enjoy most, because then you’ll be more willing to do the work which will ultimately boost your grade. Achieving a 9 in anything is possible if you put the effort and determination in.

If you think a certain subject might be more useful for your future (if you want to study it later or are interested in a job sector that is relevant to it) then definitely consider it! Just make sure you make the right decision for yourself at this point in your life - everything else will fall into place afterwards anyway.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by eeeeeeeeeeerin
i am actually doing a few of the subjects you mentioned. currently doing ocr history and i will say it is a good subject. the content is not as exciting as yr9 stuff is, with learning about the norman conquest, making of america. it is easier for you if you can write fast, but then again, i'm a slow writer but i am still managing to get 8s and 7s. idk about aqa drama but i am doing ocr drama. but regardless, don't mistake it to be an easy subject. for the first unit, you have to devise your own play with a group that you don't choose and there is a huge portfolio you have to complete. it does take up a lot of your time but besides that, it is also fun. now, i don't do aqa geography or ocr computing but my friends do and from what i hear, geography is quite easy, definitely easier than history, as the highest marks you can get in a question is a 9 marker. computing however is really difficult. there is a lot to learn. but if you like it, do it. whatever gcses you pick don't really matter for a levels, as long as you get good grades. hope this helped!!

Ah ok thank you so much !!! This helped a lot !! thankyouuu
Reply 7
Original post by sonigreendress
Hi. I study history so I can explain quite a bit - I do Edexcel. Edexcel has many options so hopefully your school picks the good ones, just search up the spec - regardless of the exam board, it is interesting but requires a lot of work because there is a hell of a lot of content, and the exams can ask questions about anything. It is also very essay-based based so time management is important, along with quickly making a judgement or argument. However, it is completely worth it if you are passionate and willing to put work into it, especially if considering history for A-levels. I don't do art or computer science, but I have friends who do. Art is heavy on coursework (which makes sense) but does take a lot of time. IMO computer science is practical but only take it if you enjoy it. My friends definitely say that paper 2 is harder (for OCR) and they don't particularly enjoy coding, but don't let that put you off at all - you most likely will have weaker points with most subjects. Hope that helps and good luck with your options

Thank you so much, this is so helpful!!
Reply 8
Original post by KK_
Hey!

I took History (AQA) and achieved a 9 after being predicted a 6, and Art (AQA) - I achieved a 5 (predicted 5) as I missed quite a big bit of the coursework section due to being off really ill for months which did impact my grade.

I’d recommend just choosing the subjects you enjoy most, because then you’ll be more willing to do the work which will ultimately boost your grade. Achieving a 9 in anything is possible if you put the effort and determination in.

If you think a certain subject might be more useful for your future (if you want to study it later or are interested in a job sector that is relevant to it) then definitely consider it! Just make sure you make the right decision for yourself at this point in your life - everything else will fall into place afterwards anyway.

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you so so much!! Well done on your history grade btw that’s so cool!! This was very helpful asw thankyouu !
Reply 9
Original post by Addie13

I agree with u i think computing is a very important subject. I am doing it and i am acc quite excited. Many people who tell u it was alot of work or regret it didnt balance there time well and didnt stay organised. Same for DT eveyone says its soooo stressful but i just dont agree. Its all about being organised and u wont regret anything. I also think you should consider geo. I mean if u dont know what to choose its perfect as it includes so much of everything
Reply 10
hi i picked art geo and computing and am in yr 11 rn. i recommend computing especially if ur good at coding it will definitely help A LOT. like a lot. i’m not too good at coding but other in my class that are good at coding are liek at 8s. art i suggest doing only if your definitely passionate about it cause although it isn’t hard it is ALOT to do and quite risky if you fall behind slightly as it starts to crowd up near exam periods. also between geo and history i picked geo bcs i enjoyed it generally a lot more. both are quite content heavy but geo i personally found the content easier to remember since a lot seems quite like general knowledge kinda. also my friends that do drama did say it is really nice and easy but i’m not sure if it’s like different exam boards or anything. also make sure that if you have an idea of what u wanna do later in a levels pick based upon that but make sure to pick stuff you enjoy and are passionate about tho! good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest