The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
Much as I hate to jump on the which college bandwagon, I'm going to!

I want to study Law, and am really not sure which college to apply to. Having looked through the prospectus/alternative prospectus, I decided I quite liked the look of Magdalene, Caius, Jesus and Sidney. Any opinions on these colleges for law, or recommendation for any other colleges?
Reply 1121
kiwi-93
Much as I hate to jump on the which college bandwagon, I'm going to!

I want to study Law, and am really not sure which college to apply to. Having looked through the prospectus/alternative prospectus, I decided I quite liked the look of Magdalene, Caius, Jesus and Sidney. Any opinions on these colleges for law, or recommendation for any other colleges?

Well I'm reading Law at Magd. so I'm biased.. :p:
But the first major difference between those colleges is size. Magdalene and Sidney are both on the smaller side in terms of undergraduates [~340], and Caius and Jesus are bigger [400+]. Do you have any preferences about that?

Law is very good all over, I suppose it depends on what you're after and where you think your interests may lie..?
BrightGirl
Whyyyy though, where did it come from?
Heh I applied for natural sciences :p:

Sports rivalries, academic rivalries, silly old events, the members of college maybe and 'old boy' rivalries (back in very different times when access schemes were probably not such a big thing) then it just kept on getting passed down and stuck I guess.

NatSci ey? Should really have applied for maths! :p: good luck with your application nonetheless
Reply 1123
mwiko
Well I'm reading Law at Magd. so I'm biased.. :p:
But the first major difference between those colleges is size. Magdalene and Sidney are both on the smaller side in terms of undergraduates [~340], and Caius and Jesus are bigger [400+]. Do you have any preferences about that?

Law is very good all over, I suppose it depends on what you're after and where you think your interests may lie..?

to be honest, i don't have that much of a preference on size. i stayed at sidney at an open day and loved it, but someone else from my school is applying there for law so i think it may be off limits.
d'you know what the quality of accommodation/general price of living at the colleges are, as the could be a factor i may consider on. also, do any of them have decent sized drama societies?
KAISER_MOLE
Sports rivalries, academic rivalries, silly old events, the members of college maybe and 'old boy' rivalries (back in very different times when access schemes were probably not such a big thing) then it just kept on getting passed down and stuck I guess.

NatSci ey? Should really have applied for maths! :p: good luck with your application nonetheless

Ah right I suppose that makes sense...
Prudy
I would have thought your last question should be answered by you and not other people.

Have you had a look at the Tompkins table, it's by all accounts as useful for making decisions like this as all other league tables are, but you might find some use for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tompkins_Table

I know...i've seen the tomkin table a lot...the ones on my list are all really good....
Also there're several colleges that i really love...can't decide really...
I fancied applying to St John's (cambridge) for maths but have been told by countless people it is relatively anti-state school, is this true?
usainlightning
I fancied applying to St John's (cambridge) for maths but have been told by countless people it is relatively anti-state school, is this true?

I'm studying maths at John's and come from a non-selective state comprehensive. Dunno who these countless people are, but since it's an impossibility anyway, it's not worth counting what they say towards any opinion :p:
usainlightning

Nah its not. The reason why it appears to be heavily biased towards private schools, is because more people from public schools apply, therefore more get in, and since more get in, people from state schools don't apply because they think its biased :p:

that said, if you don't want to be around people who went to public school, then john's might not be the place for you, because as ppl pointed out, they do take in more public school students.

having said that, john's is amazing :smile: :biggrin: (not biased at all :tongue:), and you wouldn't notice the difference between kings (heavily state school) or johns :tongue:
It could be lupus

Don't worry about stereotypes. Only St Johns' stereotype is true: you are much better at Oxford then Johns :p: :wink:

:haughty:

:shoot:

Sign on, sign on, with hope in your hearts
But you'll never be at John's

You'll never be at John's

:biggrin: :biggrin:
thegluups
:haughty:

:shoot:

Sign on, sign on, with hope in your hearts
But you'll never be at John's

You'll never be at John's

:biggrin: :biggrin:

The fact that St John's has stolen my club's beloved anthem to fuel its rivalry with the rest of the University only makes me hate them even more :biggrin:.
Thanks for all the help. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to apply to a college with which my school has had no link in recent years. It has sent pupils to most other colleges in recent years but Peterhouse doesn't seem to have been a popular chioce. I just want to know if I'll disadvantage myself by choosing a college where my school is unknown.
Reply 1132
I'm considering applying for Computer Science at the University of Cambridge. What college would you recommend for that?
SaoPaolo90
The fact that St John's has stolen my club's beloved anthem to fuel its rivalry with the rest of the University only makes me hate them even more :biggrin:.

Or it might underline John's admiration for your beloved club :biggrin:

osmith467

It wont really disadvantage you as such or advantage you : if past applicants from your school have done very well at exams, or very badly, it might (very slightly) influence their decision.
But at the end of the day, the school you go to, doesn't really matter. The fact that you are the first applicant applying to Peterhouse, wont play against you at all. On the contrary, if you applied to a college with 10 others of your classmate, its very unlikely all of you will get in, whereas if you're the only one..

(sorry if my attempt at explaining isn't very clear :p: )
generally theres hardly any difference whatsoever between colleges for each subject.
you all go to the same lectures/labs, its only supervisions which differ.

go look round most of them, talk to current students etc, and see which college you like the feel of best. then apply to that one
Your college choice won't affect your chances of getting in, so in that respect I would recommend the one you like most.

Churchill I think have a higher number of science than arts students, if that's the sort of advice you want and if you prefer that sort of environment.
There's very little difference, as said. However, I applied to Trinity and ended up at Queens' (after the summer pool - I narrowly missed my offer, despite getting AAAA), and was pleasantly surprised to find that Queens' had a couple niceties for their computer scientists. (e.g. A sort of talk/dinner series thing.)
TheUnbeliever
There's very little difference, as said. However, I applied to Trinity and ended up at Queens' (after the summer pool - I narrowly missed my offer, despite getting AAAA), and was pleasantly surprised to find that Queens' had a couple niceties for their computer scientists. (e.g. A sort of talk/dinner series thing.)

how did you narrowly miss your offer? did you have to get a in all modules?
MrGreedy
how did you narrowly miss your offer? did you have to get a in all modules?

I took the Scottish exam system. My offer was approximately equivalent to AAA (explicitly excluding the computing grade) with two of those at 90% or above, plus a STEP grade. I had a panic attack during my maths exam and so substantially underperformed there.

I then did atrociously in STEP (although I'm not as convinced that counts as underperformance).
Reply 1139
TheUnbeliever
I took the Scottish exam system. My offer was approximately equivalent to AAA (explicitly excluding the computing grade) with two of those at 90% or above, plus a STEP grade. I had a panic attack during my maths exam and so substantially underperformed there.

I then did atrociously in STEP (although I'm not as convinced that counts as underperformance).

I can't imagine how nerve-wracking it was to be on the brink of attending Cambridge and then almost 'losing' it all.
At least, I'd be losing it. (i.e. going crazy.) lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending