The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
SarahhhD
Are you allowed to wear your contacts on the road instead of glasses?

:stupid: of course you can. How would they check on you anyway if it were an offence.
Reply 21
GrahamFromJeremyKyle
Ooh okay, three chances. :smile: That makes me feel better.

Why not just get your eyes tested this week, instead of worrying?
Reply 22
The following post is speaking from personal experience...

If you fail your driving test due to eyesight, within about 2 - 3 weeks of your test you will have a letter arrive from the DVLA saying that within a month or so you must submit to them evidence from an opticians that your eyesight meets the minimum legal requirement for driving, otherwise your provisional license will be revoked. You will therefore not be able to drive, even with a driving instructor sitting next to you.

I failed my test due to eyesight. Was "borderline" needing glasses - could read front plates fine, but back plates were a bit iffy - guess what position the third plate I got in my test was :p:

The police in my area have also been known to do a large amount of "spot check" eyesight tests, and if your eyes don't meet the requirements, you don't drive any further - not very nice!
SarahhhD
Are you allowed to wear your contacts on the road instead of glasses?

Yep, its any 'visual aid' I think.
Reply 24
mollymustard
Yep, its any 'visual aid' I think.

Thats fine then. xD
SillyFencer
Why not just get your eyes tested this week, instead of worrying?

I got my eyes tested a couple of weeks ago in thought of this looming test and he said there's no way to enhance my glasses.
I'm not surprised your eyesight's ****ed if you've made 984,938 posts on TSR!

Yes, I actually did look at your profile to see if it was true :p:
Reply 27
GrahamFromJeremyKyle
I got my eyes tested a couple of weeks ago in thought of this looming test and he said there's no way to enhance my glasses.

Wow, which optician is that? I would go to another, as that sounds like a really pathetic answer, which basically refuses to help you.
SillyFencer
Wow, which optician is that? I would go to another, as that sounds like a really pathetic answer, which basically refuses to help you.

I went to Haines and Smith. I have quite a few problems with my eyes, all long names and that that I don't know of. I've had operations on them before to correct stuff. So maybe he is correct in saying that.
Reply 29
GrahamFromJeremyKyle
I went to Haines and Smith. I have quite a few problems with my eyes, all long names and that that I don't know of. I've had operations on them before to correct stuff. So maybe he is correct in saying that.

Hmm... well I wouldn't take it. He is basically saying "we won't try anything for you."
Reply 30
GrahamFromJeremyKyle

I know this'll sound harsh, but if your eyes cannot be corrected further (and it may be worth seeking a second opinion), and you do fail a driving test for eyesight, it may be for the best. Your eyes will only deteriorate with age, so if you're borderline now with correction, what state will your eyes be 10 years down the line? Once I'd got glasses for driving, I noticed quite a substantial improvement in my driving, just through being able to see properly.
My mate failed the eyesight bit of hers on Thursday, only coz she broke her glasses on the way down (sat on them haha) but they still let her take the practical, and she did pass :s-smilie:
Reply 32
SuicidalLemming
My mate failed the eyesight bit of hers on Thursday, only coz she broke her glasses on the way down (sat on them haha) but they still let her take the practical, and she did pass :s-smilie:

Failing the eyesight test is a "Serious" driving fault, so she should have failed her driving test anyway :confused: And, since you're "unfit to drive" if you fail the eyesight test, the examiner "should" terminate the test.
thomasp
Failing the eyesight test is a "Serious" driving fault, so she should have failed her driving test anyway :confused: And, since you're "unfit to drive" if you fail the eyesight test, the examiner "should" terminate the test.

Thats what I thought as well :confused:
thomasp
I know this'll sound harsh, but if your eyes cannot be corrected further (and it may be worth seeking a second opinion), and you do fail a driving test for eyesight, it may be for the best. Your eyes will only deteriorate with age, so if you're borderline now with correction, what state will your eyes be 10 years down the line? Once I'd got glasses for driving, I noticed quite a substantial improvement in my driving, just through being able to see properly.

I'm going to get a second opinion after my test because I'm sure they can be corrected further actually. I don't have that bad eyesight. Like I said, I've never wore glasses before (apart from my first test) and never needed too. I've always been able to see the board at school and signs and that. Some of my friends have far worse eyesight than me (like my friend could hardly see herself in the mirror the other day, to have eyesight that bad is beyond me) and yet with contacts/glasses it becomes near perfect. So I will get a second opinion and I won't be a danger on the roads. :smile: My instructor never noticed anything about bad eyesight when I am in lessons, even though I drive without my glasses. I've always been able to see speed signs and possible hazards on approach. I think it may be the letters that confuse me, like someone earlier did say. Sometimes a C looks like an S to me and so on.
Reply 35
thomasp

Yup, which is why they do it at the start of the test.
Reply 36
You say you have trouble reading the number plates but drive in lessons without your glasses. WHY?
Reply 37
GrahamFromJeremyKyle
I'm going to get a second opinion after my test because I'm sure they can be corrected further actually. I don't have that bad eyesight. Like I said, I've never wore glasses before (apart from my first test) and never needed too. I've always been able to see the board at school and signs and that. Some of my friends have far worse eyesight than me (like my friend could hardly see herself in the mirror the other day, to have eyesight that bad is beyond me) and yet with contacts/glasses it becomes near perfect. So I will get a second opinion and I won't be a danger on the roads. :smile: My instructor never noticed anything about bad eyesight when I am in lessons, even though I drive without my glasses. I've always been able to see speed signs and possible hazards on approach. I think it may be the letters that confuse me, like someone earlier did say. Sometimes a C looks like an S to me and so on.

Without meaning to sound too harsh, that -to my understanding, at least- sounds more like dyslexia than bad eyesight. Or, of course, something that is just brought on by excess stress, which is more than reasonable given the scenario!
Drewski
Without meaning to sound too harsh, that -to my understanding, at least- sounds more like dyslexia than bad eyesight. Or, of course, something that is just brought on by excess stress, which is more than reasonable given the scenario!

Haha, I most definitely don't have dyslexia. Top English Lit student :P It's letters far away. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astigmatism
I am absolutely terrified about this. I've got no idea if my eyesight's going to be okay or not, and I just think it'll be so, so horrible if I don't get a chance to drive and have independence through doing that because of a really bloody annoying thing I've had since birth. Makes all the hours of learning to drive pointless too. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending