The Student Room Group

London Met 999 call handler role

Hello All,

If anyone has tips for the stage after the phone interview for the call handler role with London Met it would be really appreciated. (Hendon Assessment Centre)

So far I have been studying the values of London Met ie: Integrity, Impartiality, Transparency and Public service (Policing’s Competency and Values Framework)

From what I have been made aware there will be “a role play exercise designed to assess your verbal reasoning and communication skills” does anyone have any tips on this?

Also A typing test, any information on the layout / format of the typing test. Is it just words or a combination of words and numbers. How long does the typing test run for?

Thank you all in advance, all the best 😊

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Did anyone get back to you? I’ve also got the same interview and assessments coming up. It would be super helpful to know what to expect. For my phone assessment I did get some really useful tips by watching Richard McMunn’s YouTube videos. Search for Careervidz.
Original post by Rosesandblossoms
Hi! Did anyone get back to you? I’ve also got the same interview and assessments coming up. It would be super helpful to know what to expect. For my phone assessment I did get some really useful tips by watching Richard McMunn’s YouTube videos. Search for Careervidz.

Hello please check out this post was able to get a response there.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6730166&p=97020811&page=6#post97020811

Are you referring to the first stage phone assessment after youve put application through? If so, then those videos on Youtube are extremely helpful.
How will you handle stress within the role?
Why do you want to work for London Met?
Describe a situation where you had to work hard under pressure?

There should be two situational questions that would be asked, they say you cant technically answer them wrong but I think its key to answer it in a way where it demonstrates you would be fit for the role.
Hi! Thanks! I just checked it out. Definitely helpful for the assessment day in regards to role play and the typing tasks. Yes I used Careervidz for the phone assessment. :smile:

Hello - I passed my assessments and interview for this role last week :smile: message if you have any questions!
Original post by Cheese144
Hello - I passed my assessments and interview for this role last week :smile: message if you have any questions!

Hi @Cheese144 ! Thanks for your reply! Congratulations on passing your assessment! I do have some questions if I may:

- How long was the assessment day?

- Is there is any parking at the Hendon site? (If that’s where you went!)
- Are the shifts 12hours long, as total weekly shifts say 36hrs p/w?
- What does the interview after the roleplay and typing test consist of. I know we have to learn the compentency and values framework, and I am assuming we are level 1 in this role. What kind of questions do they ask? This is the most worrying part for me!
Thanks!!!!
Hi @Cheese144 ! Thanks for your reply! Congratulations on passing your assessment! I do have some questions if I may:

- How long was the assessment day? - I did mine online and it took about an hour

- Is there is any parking at the Hendon site? (If that’s where you went!)
- Are the shifts 12hours long, as total weekly shifts say 36hrs p/w? - no! I think it’s 37 hours and the shifts are on a 6 day on 4 day off basis with 2 night shifts. Typically they are 7am - 5pm, 1pm- 11pm and 11pm - 7 am - this is based on what they told us during the assessments!
- What does the interview after the roleplay and typing test consist of. I know we have to learn the compentency and values framework, and I am assuming we are level 1 in this role. What kind of questions do they ask? This is the most worrying part for me!
Thanks!!!!

Hi! - see my responses by your questions above :smile: as for the last question: I first had my assessment which was basically them explaining the role and then asking us to take 3 assessments (I think these vary depending on the day) - the assessments I got were 1) recall 2) memory 3) multitasking

The recall test was them playing out a phone call and you had to write down all the words exactly that you heard

The memory test was them playing another phone call but you had to listen to it and then after they asked 5 questions. The questions were like how many offenders were there, what colour was the weapon etc. (You can make hand written notes during the call but they spoke really fast so make quick notes!)

Last one was the multitasking which I was them showing you 10 questions (which were things such as, what is the coffee shop called on Henley road), while you answer the 10 questions, they also play a recording which lists numbers and they ask you to write down the number you hear after it says ‘3’ - (hope that makes sense)

When is your assessment??

The interview after this was basic interview questions like ‘tell me a time you worked within a team and your role within this’

Let me know if I can help further! :smile:
Hi! - see my responses by your questions above :smile: as for the last question: I first had my assessment which was basically them explaining the role and then asking us to take 3 assessments (I think these vary depending on the day) - the assessments I got were 1) recall 2) memory 3) multitasking

The recall test was them playing out a phone call and you had to write down all the words exactly that you heard

The memory test was them playing another phone call but you had to listen to it and then after they asked 5 questions. The questions were like how many offenders were there, what colour was the weapon etc. (You can make hand written notes during the call but they spoke really fast so make quick notes!)

Last one was the multitasking which I was them showing you 10 questions (which were things such as, what is the coffee shop called on Henley road), while you answer the 10 questions, they also play a recording which lists numbers and they ask you to write down the number you hear after it says ‘3’ - (hope that makes sense)

The interview after this was basic interview questions like ‘tell me a time you worked within a team and your role within this’

Congratulations and thank you so much for this. Sounds like we have different assessments lined up.

Did your invite email look like this?

The day is split into 3 stages;
Stage 1: A role play exercise designed to assess your verbal reasoning and communication skills.
Stage 2: A typing test designed to assess your typing speed and accuracy.
If successful in Stage 1 & 2 you will proceed to;
Stage 3: An Interview based on the College of Policing’s Competency and Values Framework. (The interview will take place on the same day)
Original post by DonDiva96
Congratulations and thank you so much for this. Sounds like we have different assessments lined up.

Stage 1: A role play exercise designed to assess your verbal reasoning and communication skills.
Stage 3: An Interview based on the College of Policing’s Competency and Values Framework. (The interview will take place on the same day)

Thank you!

No I didn’t get an email like that! - I guess it differs depending on the force

Good luck with yours!
Thank you!

No I didn’t get an email like that! - I guess it differs depending on the force

Good luck with yours!

Mine is for a 999 call handler rule too 🤣

Oh 😂😂
Oh 😂😂

Is the role you’ve applied for in London ie: A London Met Call handler?

I’ve seen similar assessments to what you’ve described but for Kent

Hi! Thank you so much for your reply! I will definitely take your advice and tips on board! 1 hour sounds great! My assessment for the call handler role is 3 hours! It's on Sunday (two days time!) And I have to go to Hendon for it. It isn't online based at all.
When was yours? I am thinking perhaps during lockdown as it was online?

My invite email was in this format for the 999 call handler:

Is this different to your assessment?

Anyway congratulations again and thank you so much sharing info :smile:

Hi, my email invite is exactly like yours @DonDiva96 ! How is your prep going?
I purchased the career pack from that man on YouTube I tried attaching it here but apparently it’s too big. Going over the sample questions and answers

Important values
Tell us why you want to become a police communications officer?
What does the role of a police communications officer involve?
Have you ever lost your temper?
How do you feel about working with people from different cultures and backgrounds?
If you witnessed a member of your team being bullied or harassed at work what action would you take and why?
What do you understand about the term equality and fairness?
Do you have any experience of working as a team member?
If a member of the public asked you how to call the Police during an emergency, what advice would you give them?
How do you think you would cope with working the police shift system?
Tell me about a time when you helped someone who was distressed or in need of support?
Tell me about a time when you had to follow clear instructions or rules in order to complete a task?
Can you provide an example of a situation when you have had to work under pressure?
I purchased the career pack from that man on YouTube I tried attaching it here but apparently it’s too big. Going over the sample questions and answers

Important values
Tell us why you want to become a police communications officer?
What does the role of a police communications officer involve?
Have you ever lost your temper?
How do you feel about working with people from different cultures and backgrounds?
If you witnessed a member of your team being bullied or harassed at work what action would you take and why?
What do you understand about the term equality and fairness?
Do you have any experience of working as a team member?
If a member of the public asked you how to call the Police during an emergency, what advice would you give them?
How do you think you would cope with working the police shift system?
Tell me about a time when you helped someone who was distressed or in need of support?
Tell me about a time when you had to follow clear instructions or rules in order to complete a task?
Can you provide an example of a situation when you have had to work under pressure?

You’re a star! Thank you so much! This is perfect. Perhaps they’ll want us to integrate the Met values and competencies with our answers. Good luck with your prep and assessment!
You’re a star! Thank you so much! This is perfect. Perhaps they’ll want us to integrate the Met values and competencies with our answers. Good luck with your prep and assessment!

Yes exactly that! Incorporate them in your answers as much as possible.
Let me know if you would like the sample answers for any of them questions:smile:

Did you get your vetting forms to fill in after being accepted?
Did you get your vetting forms to fill in after being accepted?

No not yet, I think that comes after the health and documents check.
No not yet, I think that comes after the health and documents check.

Ohh yeah I’ve filled in the health form checks 2 weeks ago - still no vetting forms

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending