The Student Room Group

Driving lessons advice needed

So I've got my practical test in a few months and I've had about 11 lessons on and off due to not finding the right instructor and car and mostly I've only been having a 1hr lesson weekly, my driving is ok just keep making little mistakes cos of constantly changing instructors and having to get used to a new car. Should I take more lessons now that there's a few months for the test left or wait until like the last month? The current instructor I've only had 1 lesson with and he didn't ask me if I had done my theory or booked my practical which I have done. Should I ask him in the next lesson if I need more lessons and tell him I have my test booked or wait until he asks me? Also he didn't ask to see my license should I be worried?
Reply 1
Talk with your instructor, they will know you and how you drive much better than we do.

From what you've mentioned, you should keep doing lessons until you can drive almost flawlessly and without your instructor's help. If you need more lessons to fix those small mistakes, do them. If you realllyyyyy want to take a break i'd suggest restarting lessons more than a month before the test so you have enough time to get used to the car again
Reply 2
Original post by SirSarlacc
Talk with your instructor, they will know you and how you drive much better than we do.

From what you've mentioned, you should keep doing lessons until you can drive almost flawlessly and without your instructor's help. If you need more lessons to fix those small mistakes, do them. If you realllyyyyy want to take a break i'd suggest restarting lessons more than a month before the test so you have enough time to get used to the car again

I'm not going to stop lessons with only a few months to the test, if I leave them for a month before I wont be prepared and will fail or will have to reschedule and I don't know when that'd be as tests are always fully booked 5 months ahead, I'm just not sure if I need to take more now or more closer to the test but I'll talk to my instructor thanks, he doesn't know my test is booked , I've only had 1 lesson with him and he didn't ask he just said at the end that my driving was good but I just need a bit of work in a few areas and get used to the car
Reply 3
Have a lesson every week or two up until your test. Regular practice over a longer period is likely to be best. Ask your instructors for advice too, they will be able to tell you how test ready you are now. A good rapport with your instructor really helps and hopefully you have found someone you are comfortable with now. As to the driving license, I’d say it’s a bit unusual not to check it at the first lesson, but not a huge concern.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
He was more watching and to see what you needed improvement on, I'm sure he will ask to see licence.
Original post by Zarek
Have a lesson every week or two up until your test. Regular practice over a longer period is likely to be best. Ask your instructors for advice too, they will be able to tell you how test ready you are now. A good rapport with your instructor really helps and hopefully you have found someone you are comfortable with now. As to the driving license, I’d say it’s a bit unusual not to check it at the first lesson, but not a huge concern.

Not asking to see a licence is most definitely a huge concern, this instructor (are they even qualified?) could actually be allowing someone to drive illegaly without even knowing it. Did the instructor check your eyesight before allowing you to drive? Extremely unprofessional and I would be very wary of this person.
Reply 6
Original post by slartibartfast4
Not asking to see a licence is most definitely a huge concern, this instructor (are they even qualified?) could actually be allowing someone to drive illegaly without even knowing it. Did the instructor check your eyesight before allowing you to drive? Extremely unprofessional and I would be very wary of this person.

No, he didn't check my eyesight either, many other instructors haven't either, I think most do it when you're near the test idk or they just don't check they assume that you can if they ask and you say you can but I can read car plates so it's ok if they don't
Reply 7
Original post by slartibartfast4

Fair point.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymusy
So I've got my practical test in a few months and I've had about 11 lessons on and off due to not finding the right instructor and car and mostly I've only been having a 1hr lesson weekly, my driving is ok just keep making little mistakes cos of constantly changing instructors and having to get used to a new car. Should I take more lessons now that there's a few months for the test left or wait until like the last month? The current instructor I've only had 1 lesson with and he didn't ask me if I had done my theory or booked my practical which I have done. Should I ask him in the next lesson if I need more lessons and tell him I have my test booked or wait until he asks me? Also he didn't ask to see my license should I be worried?

If you don't feel ready you can ask your instructor to change the test dates, I think they can sell them for another date

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending