The Student Room Group
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website

LPC online/distance learning!

Has anybody studied the LPC online via distance learning?? I’m thinking of studying it part time and working as a paralegal full time. Could anybody give me some insight to their experience and how the course is delivered? (I.e. just powerpoints or podcasts and videos??) thank you so much!!
Hi!

I'm currently studying the BPTC part time at the Birmingham campus and thought I might be able to help with some aspects of your question.

You have various part time study options with the LPC. You can study the course 1 day a week over 2 years, 2 evenings a week over 2 years or one weekend a month (Saturday and Sunday between 9 - 5) over 2 years.

With the Online LPC, the part time option is over 22 months. At the start of the course, there is a compulsory 4 day induction which takes place in either the Birmingham, Manchester or London Bloomsbury campuses. During the course you'll also have to attend two study skills weekends and any oral skills assessments must be taken on campus. I thought this would be important to highlight to you as if you're planning to work alongside the course, you'll need to factor this in so you can take leave, arrange days off etc.

I'm currently working 5 days a week alongside the course while attending classes on campus one weekend a month. My experience so far is that time management is key. When you're studying part time and working full time it can be hard to catch up once you've fallen behind because the physical hours that you can devote to the course is usually less than if you were devoting all your time to the full time course. Have a system of staying on top of everything and you should be fine.

With that being said, Paralegal experience is invaluable and being able to show that you juggled such an intense course with work commitments (legal work or otherwise) will do you well when it comes to interviews for training contracts etc. If you can cope with juggling both, do it!

I can't comment on the delivery of the online course as I'm not studying it myself. However, I have forwarded your query to the relevant people so somebody should come back to you with some information in that regard soon.

Hopefully I've helped you understand a bit more about the demands of part time studying, good luck!

Shehraz
(Student Ambassador, BPTC Student, Birmingham)
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website
Reply 2
This is really helpful, thank you!
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi!

I'm currently studying the BPTC part time at the Birmingham campus and thought I might be able to help with some aspects of your question.

You have various part time study options with the LPC. You can study the course 1 day a week over 2 years, 2 evenings a week over 2 years or one weekend a month (Saturday and Sunday between 9 - 5) over 2 years.

With the Online LPC, the part time option is over 22 months. At the start of the course, there is a compulsory 4 day induction which takes place in either the Birmingham, Manchester or London Bloomsbury campuses. During the course you'll also have to attend two study skills weekends and any oral skills assessments must be taken on campus. I thought this would be important to highlight to you as if you're planning to work alongside the course, you'll need to factor this in so you can take leave, arrange days off etc.

I'm currently working 5 days a week alongside the course while attending classes on campus one weekend a month. My experience so far is that time management is key. When you're studying part time and working full time it can be hard to catch up once you've fallen behind because the physical hours that you can devote to the course is usually less than if you were devoting all your time to the full time course. Have a system of staying on top of everything and you should be fine.

With that being said, Paralegal experience is invaluable and being able to show that you juggled such an intense course with work commitments (legal work or otherwise) will do you well when it comes to interviews for training contracts etc. If you can cope with juggling both, do it!

I can't comment on the delivery of the online course as I'm not studying it myself. However, I have forwarded your query to the relevant people so somebody should come back to you with some information in that regard soon.

Hopefully I've helped you understand a bit more about the demands of part time studying, good luck!

Shehraz
(Student Ambassador, BPTC Student, Birmingham)
Reply 3
Original post by chloec16
Has anybody studied the LPC online via distance learning?? I’m thinking of studying it part time and working as a paralegal full time. Could anybody give me some insight to their experience and how the course is delivered? (I.e. just powerpoints or podcasts and videos??) thank you so much!!

How did you find the online LPC whilst working full time as a paralegal. Do you think you could have managed the full time course as well as working?
Reply 4
Original post by GeorgePW1
How did you find the online LPC whilst working full time as a paralegal. Do you think you could have managed the full time course as well as working?

Hi! So I ended up doing the LPC with LLM over the course of two years, and worked 4 days a week as a paralegal. I was fortunate enough to be given a day leave each week as a study day. I personally was glad I decided to study part time as it took the pressure off slightly and meant I was able to focus on work as well as study. However I worked with someone who completed it full time and worked 4 days a week and managed fine. I would say a lot of it will go to your personality type and how well you manage stress and intense workloads as doing it full time is double the work as part time. Feel free to drop me a message if you have any questions :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by chloec16
Hi! So I ended up doing the LPC with LLM over the course of two years, and worked 4 days a week as a paralegal. I was fortunate enough to be given a day leave each week as a study day. I personally was glad I decided to study part time as it took the pressure off slightly and meant I was able to focus on work as well as study. However I worked with someone who completed it full time and worked 4 days a week and managed fine. I would say a lot of it will go to your personality type and how well you manage stress and intense workloads as doing it full time is double the work as part time. Feel free to drop me a message if you have any questions :smile:

Hi Chloe,

Thank you for your response to my message. I think I have decided to do the course part time, as I am slightly conscious about taking too much attention off of my work, as this is due to progress into a training contract over the next few months. When you were studying online, did you have any live lectures, like over Zoom or Teams, or was all the content pre-recorded. And finally, with uploading your work, did you find the allocated tasks to be manageable, or did you sometimes feel overwhelmed with the amount of set work?

Sorry for the multiple questions, and thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending