The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
medschoolsonline is a good place to start...

are you sure you dont want to reapply next year? graduate entry is uber competitive and many (like me!) end up doing a five year course anyways.

why did it not work out?
If I were you I'd try doing a gap year, getting better A-Levels and reapplying. Get work exp as well. Seriously, I really wish I'd done that...I'd be going into my 5th year now instead of just starting out! :p: You can only give it your best :smile:
Reply 3
clank

are you sure you dont want to reapply next year? graduate entry is uber competitive and many (like me!) end up doing a five year course anyways.

why did it not work out?

How much are you paying/where?
Reply 4
paying?? what exactly? fees, rent what i get as a loan etc?
Reply 5
clank
paying?? what exactly? fees, rent what i get as a loan etc?

lol, fees for your Med School; anything you get a loan etc...do you get an NHS bursary for Grad Medicine?

I'm thinking of doing Grad School too, but your earlier post saying that Grad School is very expensive wasn't the most motivating post ever :p:
Reply 6
well im doing a 5 yr so i have to pay fees for 4yrs
they're £3,145 a year (on gep you only have to pay for 1 yr and NHS bursary or something for the rest)

as a graduate you cant get a student fees loan or maintenance grant
BUT you can get a student maintenance loan. this is income assessed from around £3000 a year basic to ~£4500 (£4500-£6500 for london)

to cover fees and costs you can also apply for specific bank loans, career development, graduate etc and also apply for bursaries from charitable funds
Reply 7
DeSiFiEd
I'm thinking of doing Grad School too, but your earlier post saying that Grad School is very expensive wasn't the most motivating post ever :p:
Grad school? You want to be an american postgraduate?
Reply 8
Renal
Grad school? You want to be an american postgraduate?

LOL there's WAAAY too many Canadians in my current Course so I'm picking up all there crap!

Postgraduate here.
Reply 9
actually even gep is undergraduate...but is 'graduate entry'
Reply 10
clank
actually even gep is undergraduate...but is 'graduate entry'
Had to spoil it and give away the punchline. :p:
Reply 11
clank
well im doing a 5 yr so i have to pay fees for 4yrs
they're £3,145 a year (on gep you only have to pay for 1 yr and NHS bursary or something for the rest)
Sorry if I'm telling you what you already know, but its not technically £3145 a year.. it's going up with inflation..

In 2006 - £3000
In 2007- £3070
In 2008- £3145
And in 2010 it's whatever they want it to be! I hear £6000/year being thrown around :s-smilie:
Reply 13
£6k will be cheap - the most commonly banded about figure I've heard is £10k pa, which is tres ridiculous!!!
Reply 14
clank

why did it not work out?

Someone in the family passed away i missed a few exams. :frown:

I wanna go uni...don't want a gap year. :no:
Reply 15
Someone in the family passed away i missed a few exams. :frown:

I wanna go uni...don't want a gap year. :no:

sorry to hear that :frown:

But seriously, what do you want more - to be a med student and then doctor or to be a student on any degree? Only you know the ins and outs of your particular case, but why make it harder for yourself (assuming that you are of course :wink: )
Reply 16
Fluffy
sorry to hear that :frown:

But seriously, what do you want more - to be a med student and then doctor or to be a student on any degree? Only you know the ins and outs of your particular case, but why make it harder for yourself (assuming that you are of course :wink: )

I was so close Kings said yes! Offered me a place....i could almost touch it then....argh!

I really really wanna do Medicine but i really don't wanna take a year out, I am specualting my grades but i work them out to be BBC or BCC.....

Also this has lead to me speculating that maybe Medicine was not meant to be for me....
Reply 17
just going back to fees
will the hike in cost in 2010 effect people already there? or will it only effect people starting that year like when top up fees came in?
Reply 18
I was so close Kings said yes! Offered me a place....i could almost touch it then....argh!

I really really wanna do Medicine but i really don't wanna take a year out, I am specualting my grades but i work them out to be BBC or BCC.....

Also this has lead to me speculating that maybe Medicine was not meant to be for me....

I was reading this thread initially assuming you had no offer!!

Have you not contacted Kings explaining the situation? You need to do this before results day and as soon as possible. It is impossible to predict their response but it would certainly worth a phone call.

Finally, am sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully the exams went better than you predicted. You may even get the grades you need. :smile: Good luck.
Reply 19
Yes - also dd you inform your exam boards etc.

I know weve taken family death in to account before - I was on the interview panel of a candidate, whose fathers death certificate was in with the form bundle we had to base our interview on... I'm not saying it would have got them in on its own, but was taken as part of a bigger picture.

As ataloss has said, if you haven't contacted Kings yet, then do so - it's gotta be worth the fight.

x

Latest

Trending

Trending