The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Uni of York firmers 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kalina17
Hey everyoneee!!
when did you apply for accommodation? Also, is there anyone here planning on studying Politics or Ir ?

I'm planning on studying Economics and Politics
University of York
York
Reply 81
I applied as soon as it was open, wasn't taking any chances, first come first served ya know
Original post by Lauren_W03
Biochemistry :smile:

Original post by kingcreole
I’ve formed York for Biochemistry, conditional offer of AAB and chosen Vanbrugh, Alcuin snd Derwent as my top 3!

Hey, I am currently a second year biochemistry student at UoY and I was in Vanbrugh catered accommodation in first year. If you have any questions about ANYTHING before you start let me know!

I've also trained as a student buddy and so I have a role in helping first years settle into university life. If you apply for one you are paired up with a current student who will be in contact with you from the beginning of September until you finish first year, and they are basically a friend / familiar face who can answer any questions you have and provide support. I would strongly recommend signing up for a student buddy, especially since you might not have the same experience as other years due to coronavirus (you'll find out more info about student buddies in August or could find more info on the UoY website).
Original post by CHELSter17
Hey, I am currently a second year biochemistry student at UoY and I was in Vanbrugh catered accommodation in first year. If you have any questions about ANYTHING before you start let me know!

I've also trained as a student buddy and so I have a role in helping first years settle into university life. If you apply for one you are paired up with a current student who will be in contact with you from the beginning of September until you finish first year, and they are basically a friend / familiar face who can answer any questions you have and provide support. I would strongly recommend signing up for a student buddy, especially since you might not have the same experience as other years due to coronavirus (you'll find out more info about student buddies in August or could find more info on the UoY website).

I like the idea of having a buddy to help me settle in. Will info be sent to me about this or do I need to contact someone.
Original post by Bluebells602003
I like the idea of having a buddy to help me settle in. Will info be sent to me about this or do I need to contact someone.

Here's a link to the UoY student buddy page. You can request for the buddy to have a similar background/circumstances, similar interests, and be in the same department as you. Your buddy will initially contact you a couple weeks before you start at York and you'll meet them in person at a social during your first couple of days, although personally I would try meeting with your buddy on move in day (other students will be on hand to help moving in but it's reassuring to have someone there you already know and is there to specifically help you). Your buddy will email you personally every 1-2 weeks throughout the year to check you're okay (everything is confidential), answer any questions, provide advice / point you in the right direction, and notify you of any events happening you might be interested in.

Once you have formally accepted your offer (on results day) and followed the instructions to set up your UoY email account you can complete the Student Buddy Request form which will be on that student buddy website and may even be emailed to you as well (I'm not entirely sure the scheme wasn't around when I started uni). If you have any questions about the scheme or uni don't hesitate to ask, or you can always email [email protected].
Original post by CHELSter17
Here's a link to the UoY student buddy page. You can request for the buddy to have a similar background/circumstances, similar interests, and be in the same department as you. Your buddy will initially contact you a couple weeks before you start at York and you'll meet them in person at a social during your first couple of days, although personally I would try meeting with your buddy on move in day (other students will be on hand to help moving in but it's reassuring to have someone there you already know and is there to specifically help you). Your buddy will email you personally every 1-2 weeks throughout the year to check you're okay (everything is confidential), answer any questions, provide advice / point you in the right direction, and notify you of any events happening you might be interested in.

Once you have formally accepted your offer (on results day) and followed the instructions to set up your UoY email account you can complete the Student Buddy Request form which will be on that student buddy website and may even be emailed to you as well (I'm not entirely sure the scheme wasn't around when I started uni). If you have any questions about the scheme or uni don't hesitate to ask, or you can always email [email protected].

Thank you that’s great as I’m a bit anxious so think this would help me
I'm conditional offer (AAB) holder of Computer Science BSc
Original post by IzzyS2
Computer science
AAB
Constantine, Langwith, Goodricke - basically all the accommodations that would be near my faculty lol

OH MY GOD
What a coincidence
I'm also firmed for Computer Science, and my condition is also AAB
When you know you’ve met your conditions but York haven’t updated track yet... pls confirm soon.🥴
It’s official - going to york
Original post by Anonymous

Congrats!! :woo: doing anything to celebrate?
Reply 91
Original post by Anonymous

Congratulations! What are you doing to celebrate? Also what course are you doing? :smile:
Accepted to York for psychology. Ended up with Halifax for accomodation but oh well. Still got my ensuite.
h

Original post by Omega01
Accepted to York for psychology. Ended up with Halifax for accomodation but oh well. Still got my ensuite.

how do you know about your accommodation? I was under the impression all that was going to be sorted next week.
Original post by Tinders
h

how do you know about your accommodation? I was under the impression all that was going to be sorted next week.

I got an email from accommodation at half eleven, they can usually get it sorted pretty quicky once they know who's going. I don't know about block or flat yet, just college. It says I'll get room number by 11th September.
Original post by Omega01
I got an email from accommodation at half eleven, they can usually get it sorted pretty quicky once they know who's going. I don't know about block or flat yet, just college. It says I'll get room number by 11th September.

ah okay thank you!
Original post by Tinders
ah okay thank you!

No worries, good luck
Got my accommodation offer
Got an accommodation offer for Alcuin (second choice). Congratulations everyone
Original post by Lauren_W03
Got an accommodation offer for Alcuin (second choice). Congratulations everyone

I also got second choice Alcuin. What are you going to study?

Quick Reply

Latest