The Student Room Group

Did I mention York Uni too much in my personal statement?

In my personal statement, I talk about both completing a MOOC and a summer school at the Uni of York in seperate paragraphs, but would this suggest to my other uni choices that I'm probably just going to York and therefore reduce my chances of an offer? I'm also applying to Oxford and I don't want this to affect my application.
They won't care one way or another.
Original post by Admit-One
They won't care one way or another.

Thank you!
Original post by Rowanthepotato
In my personal statement, I talk about both completing a MOOC and a summer school at the Uni of York in seperate paragraphs, but would this suggest to my other uni choices that I'm probably just going to York and therefore reduce my chances of an offer? I'm also applying to Oxford and I don't want this to affect my application.

i would include them both in the same paragraph. technically they won't care either way but it may lead to suspicion that you're not properly engaged with the subject and more interested in the uni choice... which isn't even their uni

i dont even know why you need to mention york uni, just wasted characters tbh

Hello,
As much as the universities probably won’t care if you mention York, I wouldn’t waste the character space on your statement name dropping the university you want to go to.

The uni admissions won’t consider your application over others for just mentioning their university; they’ll still want to see a quality statement with the fundamentals and who you are as an individual (not to mention getting the grades).

Other universities might see York mentioned multiple times and immediately think you’re not as invested in them, offering the place to another student with a less biased and ambiguous statement. I would recommend being unbiased in your application to get the best chances of being accepted, in case your firm doesn’t accept you!

Hope this helps,
Dom
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello,
As much as the universities probably won’t care if you mention York, I wouldn’t waste the character space on your statement name dropping the university you want to go to.

The uni admissions won’t consider your application over others for just mentioning their university; they’ll still want to see a quality statement with the fundamentals and who you are as an individual (not to mention getting the grades).

Other universities might see York mentioned multiple times and immediately think you’re not as invested in them, offering the place to another student with a less biased and ambiguous statement. I would recommend being unbiased in your application to get the best chances of being accepted, in case your firm doesn’t accept you!

Hope this helps,
Dom

Thank you so much for your help! I've gone through my personal statement and removed the mentions of York, thank you again! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending