The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Uni of York firmers 2020

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Omega01
Accepted to York for psychology. Ended up with Halifax for accomodation but oh well. Still got my ensuite.

Same! accepted for psychology and put in halifax (not my first choice but not complaining)
University of York
York
Original post by Liv_P
Same! accepted for psychology and put in halifax (not my first choice but not complaining)

I'm also doing psychology, in Goodricke for accommodation though
Original post by Omega01
Accepted to York for psychology. Ended up with Halifax for accomodation but oh well. Still got my ensuite.

Hi im also doing psychology, but living in Goodricke
Original post by Liv_P

Yeah, it must be meant to be haha. On the plus side, it has its own shop, cashpoint and parking so moving in should be easier.
Original post by Gemmakerridge1
Hi im also doing psychology, but living in Goodricke

Hey, I wouldn't want to risk missing the bus in the mornings haha
I’m studying Biochemistry. What about you?
Original post by Omega01

haha fair enough, im quite an early riser so hopefully wont be a problem, but after a night out who knows lol. Do you have instagram? I dont have fb so not in any of the chats on there
Original post by Omega01

haha fair enough, im quite an early riser so hopefully wont be a problem, but after a night out who knows lol. Do you have instagram? I dont have fb so not in any of the chats on there

Apologies for jumping into your conversation. I'm going into my second year in September.

Just wanted to say, that you should definitely leave extra time if you're travelling between campuses (it's free on the 66 and 66a) because during the peak hours, the buses will be packed and you're likely to wait for the next one. Having said that, they do run extra buses during peak hours (66X which serves the train station and only serves limited stops including the campuses). Alternatively, you could invest in a bike and cycle between the campuses (there should be a dedicated cycle path) and definitely spaces to lock your bike. Hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Apologies for jumping into your conversation. I'm going into my second year in September.

Just wanted to say, that you should definitely leave extra time if you're travelling between campuses (it's free on the 66 and 66a) because during the peak hours, the buses will be packed and you're likely to wait for the next one. Having said that, they do run extra buses during peak hours (66X which serves the train station and only serves limited stops including the campuses). Alternatively, you could invest in a bike and cycle between the campuses (there should be a dedicated cycle path) and definitely spaces to lock your bike. Hope this helps. :smile:

thank you so much that's very kind of you to offer advice. Something I hadn't thought about especially with social distancing and stuff that buses will be a lot busier/ have lower capacity!! Will have to look into how it all works when I get there I guess, again thank you! While you're here , opinion on York? Don't worry you can't scare me off now haha
thank you so much that's very kind of you to offer advice. Something I hadn't thought about especially with social distancing and stuff that buses will be a lot busier/ have lower capacity!! Will have to look into how it all works when I get there I guess, again thank you! While you're here , opinion on York? Don't worry you can't scare me off now haha

No worries. :smile:

Just to clear up on the teaching and learning plans for at least the autumn term of 2020/21, the uni has said that they aim to deliver as much face-to-face teaching where possible. All large lectures will be pre-recorded and available online but there will be some face-to-face teaching in the following forms: seminar, workshops, tutorials, etc. Should you need to travel between campuses, the buses can get busy quick especially with social distancing but I think extra capacity will be provided in some way - tbh, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
-> Info on Autumn Term 2020/21

Yes, happy to comment on my opinions of York. In short, York was one of my five choices for UCAS and I heavily regret not making York my firm choice, I actually firmed Leeds and got rejected in the end due to missing the grades I needed. I ended up here having declined my place at my insurance (Essex) so basically came here through Clearing. In terms of the uni, my favourite place to wind down and relax would be Courtyard on Campus West (Derwent) because they have an excellent selection of food and drink and large TV screens so you can watch the footie or any other sports events live. Also, we have a well-known and well-liked BNOC in Long Boi whose an Indian runner duck/mallard - he's since been joined by two other Indian runner ducks/mallards though they aren't as tall as Long Boi. Hope this helps! Very happy to answer any additional questions. :smile:
No worries. :smile:

Just to clear up on the teaching and learning plans for at least the autumn term of 2020/21, the uni has said that they aim to deliver as much face-to-face teaching where possible. All large lectures will be pre-recorded and available online but there will be some face-to-face teaching in the following forms: seminar, workshops, tutorials, etc. Should you need to travel between campuses, the buses can get busy quick especially with social distancing but I think extra capacity will be provided in some way - tbh, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Hope you don't mind @CoffeeAndPolitics but was just wondering where I could find specific guidance for the Politics department about arrangements for September. Had my place confirmed there now:biggrin:
I'm going to be studying business management and have been allocated James college. Anyone have any insight on James Hall?

I've also heard the York Management School is moving from East to Campus West to near the science park and Alcuin College, but not sure if it will happen in January - see article below. Has anyone heard any more information on the timings?

https://www.york.ac.uk/campus-investment/current/york-management-school/
Original post by JOSH4598
Hope you don't mind @CoffeeAndPolitics but was just wondering where I could find specific guidance for the Politics department about arrangements for September. Had my place confirmed there now:biggrin:

https://coronavirus.york.ac.uk/for-students/autumn-term-2020 - General information about the Autumn term 2020/21.

I don't know any specific guidance and information from the Politics department regarding Covid arrangements for September I'm afraid. Given that you're a new student joining in September, you should hear from them soon and do check out their Twitter (uniyorkpolitics) and Instagram (uniofyorkpoliticsdept) as well for updates.

Btw, are you doing straight politics or joint honours such as history/politics? I'm currently studying Social and Political Sciences and will be going into my second year in September. Hope this helps! :smile:
https://coronavirus.york.ac.uk/for-students/autumn-term-2020 - General information about the Autumn term 2020/21.

I don't know any specific guidance and information from the Politics department regarding Covid arrangements for September I'm afraid. Given that you're a new student joining in September, you should hear from them soon and do check out their Twitter (uniyorkpolitics) and Instagram (uniofyorkpoliticsdept) as well for updates.

Btw, are you doing straight politics or joint honours such as history/politics? I'm currently studying Social and Political Sciences and will be going into my second year in September. Hope this helps! :smile:

Thanks. I'm guessing we'll get an email about it sometime soon - hoping all goes ahead ok in September! I'm doing Politics and IR so similar course. How do you find studying SPS at York? Quite interesting times to study it:s-smilie:
Original post by JOSH4598
Thanks. I'm guessing we'll get an email about it sometime soon - hoping all goes ahead ok in September! I'm doing Politics and IR so similar course. How do you find studying SPS at York? Quite interesting times to study it:s-smilie:

No worries. You should get a welcome email from the Politics department at some point with information about course induction and other information. I would also keep an eye on Covid-19 updates from the uni (https://coronavirus.york.ac.uk/for-students/autumn-term-2020). Nice, both of my housemates are doing Politics and IR as well and yes, it's a very similar course to SPS.

Originally, I've applied to study History and Politics so I guess SPS is a slight shift but I had a change of heart near to last A-level results day thinking that perhaps studying history at undergraduate level wasn't for me. TL;DR I didn't actually make York my firm or insurance which I regret as I got into my insurance (Essex) but didn't want to go there so I declined my place and ended up here via Clearing. Back to the question... SPS is definitely an interesting course which involves different disciplines: politics, social policy, and sociology (+philosophy if you do the other SPS course) and there's a lot of choice in your second and third year. First years no longer get an optional module choice as there will be a new module called Contemporary Issues in Social and Political Sciences (title of module may change) and it will look at issues like BLM, Grenfell, etc. and there's a minor change for second years as we're now doing the research methods module with SPSW (Social Policy and Social Work) because they use SPSS whereas the Sociology Department uses STATA which is less useful for a multidisciplinary degree.

Yes, it's definitely quite an interesting time to study given the current situation with Covid but if you click on the link about arrangements for Autumn term, you can find out what the uni is doing to keep people safe. As for teaching and learning arrangements, the aim is to provide as much face-to-face teaching as possible, i.e. large lectures will be pre-recorded and available online with seminars, tutorials, workshops, etc. taking place face-to-face across campus. Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest