The Student Room Group

Nursing doubts

I really want to become a nurse and I am currently in my final year of a levels but I can't help the thoughts of me working so hard in my subjects to be given a **** pay and horrible working conditions. I know its a selfish reason but a lot of other degrees half half the term time as me and I have to do 12 hour shift placements for them to earn double the amount I would in the end.
You don’t go into nursing for the money, you go in because you want to help people and help make a difference. If you go in expecting to be rich you’ll be disappointed.
Reply 2
Original post by ella1902
You don’t go into nursing for the money, you go in because you want to help people and help make a difference. If you go in expecting to be rich you’ll be disappointed.

I know that but it's still a career you need to survive on with your family. Just because you want to care for people doesn't mean you should be poor and have horrible work conditions
Original post by Anonymous
I know that but it's still a career you need to survive on with your family. Just because you want to care for people doesn't mean you should be poor and have horrible work conditions

Look - the pay is rubbish to begin with - but you have to take the long term view. Unless you kill someone !?, you will never be unemployed, you can travel the world, there are so many areas you can work in and once you move up the ladder, the pay increases. My colleague is a nurse endoscopist and earns about £75000 per annum - not bad eh
What are the reasons you want to be a nurse? And are there other caring professions you are interested in?
Original post by Anonymous

Nursing on band 6 pays just under 40,000 a year. That is not a bad salary, most salaries will begin low and work up over years this is no different for nursing. It is not a job that will make you rich but it is still reasonable pay which you can raise a family on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending