The Student Room Group

Is becoming a nurse allowed in Islam?

Is becoming a nurse allowed in Islam? the reason I'm asking this question is that I have been told that it's not allowed in Islam as you will have to clean opposite gender patients.

Is it true that if you feel uncomfortable dealing with opposite gender patients (not like helping them but like washing them and stuff where there naked) you can say this to the hospital and they will acknowledge this and they will allow you to swap jobs in certain situations with other nurses
Reply 1
If you have to ask this question then you shouldn't even consider becoming a nurse.

Nursing is a caring profession and you have a duty towards all your patients regardless of gender. It's unprofessional to ask to be exempted from treating male patients. If you know this is going to be a problem for you, don't become a nurse. Simple.
I can sense this thread will turn into an argument

In regards to your question and before you jump to 'haram', if you continue to have these doubts about what you would be doing then you can try asking friends or family who are nurses and see what they can help i.e. clarify these doubts or either you can ask a respected scholar on this issue because of the circumstances you've mentioned.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ManLike007

In regards to your question and before you jump to 'haram', if you continue to have these doubts about what you would be doing then you can try asking friends or family who are nurses and see what they can help i.e. clarify these doubts or either you can ask a respected scholar on this issue because of the circumstances you've mentioned.

Thank you very much
Reply 4
Original post by asif007
If you have to ask this question then you shouldn't even consider becoming a nurse.

Nursing is a caring profession and you have a duty towards all your patients regardless of gender. It's unprofessional to ask to be exempted from treating male patients. If you know this is going to be a problem for you, don't become a nurse. Simple.

Thank you very much
Reply 5
Original post by ManLike007

In regards to your question and before you jump to 'haram', if you continue to have these doubts about what you would be doing then you can try asking friends or family who are nurses and see what they can help i.e. clarify these doubts or either you can ask a respected scholar on this issue because of the circumstances you've mentioned

I don't believe it is haram as you are helping people. But if you are doing nursing yourself I want to hear your say, and if you are Muslim as well I want to hear your say on that side as well. i am very well considering nursing as a career.
It might not be okay to become a nurse when believing in Islam.

You know where I can read the Qur'an, though? So I can confirm with my own two eyes and reading capacity.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't believe it is haram as you are helping people. But if you are doing nursing yourself I want to hear your say, and if you are Muslim as well I want to hear your say on that side as well. i am very well considering nursing as a career.

Sorry I'm not a nurse and I don't study it either. I am a Muslim yes but I'm not in the position to give Islamic advice, it's out of my knowledge.

You may find valid Islamic websites that offers advice, these I breifly researched and found this,

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/286/ruling-on-muslim-women-working-as-nurses-and-doctors
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/201892/he-works-as-a-nurse-which-means-that-he-may-do-some-things-that-are-not-acceptable-according-to-shareeah

These are things you should consider, maybe ask people who are nurses (try asking family or friends, nursing students on a university open day or something) to get an idea of what roles a nurse exactly does and if you can choose alternative roles in a work place that doesn't go against Islam.

Again, I'm not saying you should or shouldn't pursue a nursing career but you should think about it
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Is becoming a nurse allowed in Islam? the reason I'm asking this question is that I have been told that it's not allowed in Islam as you will have to clean opposite gender patients.

Is it true that if you feel uncomfortable dealing with opposite gender patients (not like helping them but like washing them and stuff where there naked) you can say this to the hospital and they will acknowledge this and they will allow you to swap jobs in certain situations with other nurses

Surely god would see the good you are doing by helping those who cannot help themselves? Rather than see the gender of the person?
Reply 9
Thank you
Original post by Pseudo Intellect
Surely god would see the good you are doing by helping those who cannot help themselves? Rather than see the gender of the person?

true and thank you
next up on TSR: "is breathing allowed in Islam?"
according to Islam, you are just a bagged breeding machine...so no :biggrin:
I wouldn’t say it’s haram. Maybe ‘frowned upon’. But then again, these are people who are probably in no right condition to wash themselves. I would worry more about trying to help these people.
Reply 14
Wtf

Ofc it's allowed, there are many muslim nurses. It's a caring prefession. Whoever "frowns upon it" can choke on a halal sausage gosh
How would it work the other way around, then?
If you are a Muslim, and you are a patient and there was only one nurse or doctor on the ward and there were intimate procedures to be done pre or post surgery, would you permit contact, or do the rules change conveniently when your life is in the balance?
And people wonder why the West appears to be anti Islam
Amazing that some people think it’s forbidden and that people like the OP actually have to ask this question. Thank Thor I wasn’t born into a Muslim family or country.
Reply 18
A lot of people have rather negative things to say. I think in the Muslim community there needs to be a greater discussion on what 'free-mixing' actually means. As a nurse, you are a health care professional. In the UK, this is heavily emphasised and is one of the statements as part of the Code (NMC). This would not be considered free-mixing. The free-mixing that Islam prohibits is the same free-mixing that the NMC board would be against. Flirting, excessive and unnecessary touching, etc. As a nurse if this happens I would be concerned regardless of religion and spirituality.

So, yes. It is 'halal' to be a nurse. Islam is not there to make life complicated. There are times you will have to work with male patients, this is fine unless you personally feel uncomfortable for any reason (which does happen especially in adult nursing where some male patients get 'excited' by nurses who are majority female (but even in these situation, as hard as it is try your best to keep professional unless it gets out of hand, and then escalate).

Saving one persons life is like saving all of mankind. Nursing has given me such stress sometimes but the empathy and beauty of the world that I've picked up make me appreciate life, nursing practices, mankind and God more. It is crazy how much the human body can compensate when something is wrong and it is crazier how far we've come with us medical technology and as a society caring for individuals.

Trust me, our Muslim community here in the West need a lot more discussing and education regarding simple things like 'free-mixing' but I would say if there's any career that enraptures what it means to biologically be a woman, it is nursing. That's not to say its a 'woman's job', Hell no! We need more male nurses! In the same way that women may feel uncomfortable with a male providing care, male patients may also feel uncomfortable with a female providing care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending