The Student Room Group

Is it possible to become a nurse?

I have 4 years experience of being a NHS Healthcare support worker, but always had an ambition to become an adult trained nurse. I have worked in both Mental Health and adult nursing and really enjoy both. What makes me doubt myself though, is the fact I can get a bit panicky and pass out when I have had blood taken or the sight of a lot of blood . This hasnt happened at work more so when I was younger. I do think I have somewhat gotten over it, however fear it's always there. I pushed myself and successfully complete the phlebotomy course amd I do this whilst at work when required and I do it successfully. Question is, do you think this is something I can get over to become a qualified adult nurse?
Reply 1
you draw blood. your question is answered. now get a sponsored ou place. you will make a geat nurse. you know the job go for it and good luck
Original post by Brycela11
I have 4 years experience of being a NHS Healthcare support worker, but always had an ambition to become an adult trained nurse. I have worked in both Mental Health and adult nursing and really enjoy both. What makes me doubt myself though, is the fact I can get a bit panicky and pass out when I have had blood taken or the sight of a lot of blood . This hasnt happened at work more so when I was younger. I do think I have somewhat gotten over it, however fear it's always there. I pushed myself and successfully complete the phlebotomy course amd I do this whilst at work when required and I do it successfully. Question is, do you think this is something I can get over to become a qualified adult nurse?

Hello @Brycela11

By the sounds of it, it sounds like you've already got over this fear! Well done for completing your phlebotomy course. You have already trained, which is a huge advantage and the more you do it, the more you will get used to it so don't worry!

Best of luck,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending