The Student Room Group

Is an EPQ worth it?

I've just finished my GCSE's. I've always been under the impression that universities love EPQ's, but now I'm not so sure... Is it worth doing one - is this a great way of standing out from others? How long does it take to complete on average? Does it take a lot of time and hard work?

Also, does the EPQ have to be related to what you want to do? I want to have a career with something computer and coding-based, but I wanted to do something about the history of LGBTQ+ Discrimination - would this be ok?

Cheers,

- Taylor :danceboy:
(edited 9 months ago)
I did an EPQ this year so here we go,

If you have a specific degree in mind and you want to write an EPQ relating to it, plus you think you can find the time to properly do it then it's worth it (imo). Some universities will give you a reduced offer if you achieve a certain grade in the EPQ, plus you can talk about it in your personal statement.

However, it takes a considerable amount of time. Lots of people dropped out of it in my classes. You also have to realise its not just the dissertation/report, you also have to complete evaluations, source evaluations, a log of what you do each week, referencing and do a presentation. My college did it from September till April.

It doesn't have to be related to what you wanna do but imo it'll only really be useful and worth it if it related
Original post by thrivingfrog
I did an EPQ this year so here we go,

If you have a specific degree in mind and you want to write an EPQ relating to it, plus you think you can find the time to properly do it then it's worth it (imo). Some universities will give you a reduced offer if you achieve a certain grade in the EPQ, plus you can talk about it in your personal statement.

However, it takes a considerable amount of time. Lots of people dropped out of it in my classes. You also have to realise its not just the dissertation/report, you also have to complete evaluations, source evaluations, a log of what you do each week, referencing and do a presentation. My college did it from September till April.

It doesn't have to be related to what you wanna do but imo it'll only really be useful and worth it if it related

How much time a week would you say it takes up?
Original post by taylor2317
How much time a week would you say it takes up?

We had 1 1hr15 lesson a week and then you were meant to do another hour or two on top of that at home. I ended up doing quite a lot of it in the final month tho which took up a lot more time than 2 hours :lol:
Original post by thrivingfrog
We had 1 1hr15 lesson a week and then you were meant to do another hour or two on top of that at home. I ended up doing quite a lot of it in the final month tho which took up a lot more time than 2 hours :lol:

ty!!!
Reply 5
In my experience working in universities, most universities don't care too much for them.
Original post by gjd800
In my experience working in universities, most universities don't care too much for them.

what do they favour instead?
Reply 7
what do they favour instead?

They'd generally rather you just met the A Level requirements. It isn't held against you or anything but I've never been in a single department that is excited by the EPQ.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by gjd800
They'd generally rather you just met the A Level requirements.

hmm... seems doable :rofl:
I've just finished my GCSE's. I've always been under the impression that universities love EPQ's, but now I'm not so sure... Is it worth doing one - is this a great way of standing out from others? How long does it take to complete on average? Does it take a lot of time and hard work?

Also, does the EPQ have to be related to what you want to do? I want to have a career with something computer and coding-based, but I wanted to do something about the history of LGBTQ+ Discrimination - would this be ok?

Cheers,

Most unis couldn’t care less if you did an EPQ or not. Though a handful have reduced offers if you take an EPQ and obtain at least a specified grade in it - provided the topic of the EPQ is relevant to the subject you intend to study at uni. UEA is one such uni: https://www.uea.ac.uk/course/undergraduate/BSc-computing-science/2023-24?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ug2024_enquirers_pr&utm_content=courseportfolio&gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzdOlBhCNARIsAPMwjbxbPhrjzOLBEr6YeJ7WNiqqQgumMREvHlndotkwN-wBNRXxEqyxEXsaAqFcEALw_wcB

If you want to do an EPQ on LGBTQ+ discrimination, then fair enough. But the likelihood is that it’ll likely neither count in your favour or against you if you do apply to do CS at uni.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Most unis couldn’t care less if you did an EPQ or not. Though a handful have reduced offers if you take an EPQ and obtain at least a specified grade in it - provided the topic of the EPQ is relevant to the subject you intend to study at uni. UEA is one such uni: https://www.uea.ac.uk/course/undergraduate/BSc-computing-science/2023-24?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ug2024_enquirers_pr&utm_content=courseportfolio&gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzdOlBhCNARIsAPMwjbxbPhrjzOLBEr6YeJ7WNiqqQgumMREvHlndotkwN-wBNRXxEqyxEXsaAqFcEALw_wcB

If you want to do an EPQ on LGBTQ+ discrimination, then fair enough. But the likelihood is that it’ll likely neither count in your favour or against you if you do apply to do CS at uni.

Another thing to consider - how many A levels are you taking?

Remember three A levels is already more intense than however many GCSEs you did, but an EPQ can be perfectly manageable on top of three A levels. Supposing you decide to take four or five A levels, an EPQ is perhaps not worth trying.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Another thing to consider - how many A levels are you taking?

Remember three A levels is already more intense than however many GCSEs you did, but an EPQ can be perfectly manageable on top of three A levels. Supposing you decide to take four or five A levels, an EPQ is perhaps not worth trying.

I'm thinking of doing three - maths, english lit and computer science
I'm thinking of doing three - maths, english lit and computer science

Fair enough. You could balance an EPQ on top of that, but having mentioned you were looking at something related to coding/compsci, there was always the possibility you could have been looking at taking a fourth A level in something like physics or further maths so it was worth checking.
(edited 9 months ago)

Cheers,

As above my impression is that unis see it much the same as they see DofE - something most students do mindlessly as personal statement fodder which isn't of much interest or relevance to them. If you have a specific project/essay in mind that you want to work on to explore that topic, and it happens to fit the EPQ marking scheme, it's not a bad thing to consider as a structured way to explore that interest.

However it's not worth doing just for the sake of doing it though, as it doesn't confer much real benefit. Best case scenario, some unis may give you a reduced offer if you get a top result in the EPQ. Anything less than that and it doesn't count for anything even at those however. Outside of that scenario the only real value is as something to discuss in your PS, but you could just as well do wider reading in that case.
Reply 15

Cheers,

Yes! EPQ would be ideal. It takes a lot of hard work.

LGBTQ+ discrimination - what area of discrimination? You would need to have a robust research plan and hypothesis that you are testing. What 'population' would you test? That will impact ie skew the research. Might be better to do something tech related rather than that, as you are trying to show that you love technology. Hyper-personalisation and LGBTQ+ community would be far better. You could bring into your research the concept of bias, and how it may affect outcomes.
I found it worth it for my own personal development but not for applying to university.
Reply 17

Cheers,

It depends, Im doing an EPQ as well as a longer physical research version just because im interested in the topics. I honestly think that people stress way too much over EPQs, if u want they can be done pretty quickly to a good standard, as long as you know ur stuff. Unis might see it as u being independent, but it honestly wont make much of a difference. I would also suggest that doing it in what u want to do shows constant dedication to the subject, but that is just me speculating so I cant be for certain

Cheers,

It really depends what unis you want to apply to - 3 of my 5 options gave me lower entry requirements because of my EPQ (including what are now my firm and insurance choices), so for me it was worth it. However, I know other people who's unis didn't care at all about it. It could be a good thing to put in a personal statement (assuming they are still around when you apply), but it's definitely not necessary and I didn't even bother mentioning my EPQ in my personal statement because there was other stuff that was more relevant. I will also say that even for the universities that give a lower offers, sometimes they will stipulate that your EPQ needs to be relevant to your degree, but others don't so make sure you double check that in advance before putting a lot of effort into an EPQ. And, of course, you usually need to get an A or above in your EPQ to qualify for any lower offers (I have seen some unis asking for B or above as well but most of the ones I looked at wanted an A)

As for the work load, I personally did not find it that much, but I think I am in the minority here. At my school, over half the people who started an EPQ dropped out at some point. The good thing about the fact so many people end up dropping it is that schools expect this, so it is usually easy to drop it if it gets too much, so in that sense it is worth starting it anyway as there is always that option. My advice is to always stay on top of the work your school asks of you, and if possible get ahead in terms of your reading log and planning in the first few weeks when the A level workload may not be so intense, as this might give you some breathing room later. Most important: DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Any scrap paper with a plan on, any book/article/report you read, documentary you watch, whatever sources you use - record the date you read it somewhere with some notes on its content and some way of being able to access it again. This will help so much when it comes to writing and referencing, yet so many people left they read out of their reading log which meant they had to spend hours trying to locate it again to find quotes or to reference it.

When it comes to the actual writing stage, you need to be very strict on yourself to allow plenty of time for second and third drafts and so on. I spaced my writing out over 4 weekends and was the first one in my year to finish (this planning process actually really helped me later with history and I was the first one in my year to finish my history coursework as well). Obviously it is not a race and finishing first gives you no bonus points, but having a completed draft before Easter allowed me to show my supervisor and get some feedback to help me improve. It also just allowed me to enjoy my Easter lol which is always a bonus.
I enjoyed it though I often forget that I did it and it didn't leave a huge impression on me. It's the only real opportunity you get to write something for credit that is entirely in your hands.

Universities often don't consider it directly but it might be good to show interest in a particular area.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest