The Student Room Group

What should I do about this eBay mess?

I ordered lots of stuff from a reputable seller on Ebay as it was about to sell out and I knew that I could resell it for more afterwards. They marked the stuff as dispatched last week so it should have been here by now, and in the meantime I sold lots of it over the weekend to various buyers on Ebay and stated a dispatch time of up to 4 working days as I was sure that I would receive the stuff that I bought this week.

The tracking numbers from the seller who sold me the stuff show that the items have still not been collected from them and they are not replying to my emails. Meanwhile, I have lots of buyers and some of them are asking me when I will dispatch their stuff.

What should I do? And if the stuff I ordered never comes, will Ebay make sure that I'm not penalised if I let all my buyers down since this is the fault of the seller that I ordered the stuff from?

Scroll to see replies

ebay will penalise you for that, its dropshipping and ebay don't like dropshippers. you can get a refund from the seller possibly, but you will probably have it on your record that you cancel the buyers orders as its your fault
Reply 2
Original post by Gent2324
ebay will penalise you for that, its dropshipping and ebay don't like dropshippers. you can get a refund from the seller possibly, but you will probably have it on your record that you cancel the buyers orders as its your fault

But surely Ebay should be happy as it means that they get the fees twice?

And one of the reasons that I did this was to raise money for charity - I made 10% of the sale price go to charity so it will be so upsetting if this backfires.
Reply 3

Also I don't think it is dropshipping as I am having the stuff sent to me and then resending it.
Original post by Anonymous
Also I don't think it is dropshipping as I am having the stuff sent to me and then resending it.

you are selling items to people that you dont hold stock of. ebay classes that as dropshipping.

But surely Ebay should be happy as it means that they get the fees twice?

And one of the reasons that I did this was to raise money for charity - I made 10% of the sale price go to charity so it will be so upsetting if this backfires.

not really, they dont let scammers off because they are getting money from the fees.
the charity donations are irrelevant here.
Reply 5
you are selling items to people that you dont hold stock of. ebay classes that as dropshipping.

not really, they dont let scammers off because they are getting money from the fees.
the charity donations are irrelevant here.

In what way does this make me a scammer?
And why is it not relevant that I am raising money for charity?
In what way does this make me a scammer?
And why is it not relevant that I am raising money for charity?

youre selling items that you cant deliver. ebay will say thats a scam.
ebay wont excuse you because you are donating to charity.
Reply 7
youre selling items that you cant deliver. ebay will say thats a scam.
ebay wont excuse you because you are donating to charity.

But they should have been delivered to me sooner than I need to dispatch them. So this is only a problem because I've been let down. For what it's worth, I've ordered the items from an outlet or a well-known high street chain on Ebay so didn't expect any problems.
I ordered lots of stuff from a reputable seller on Ebay as it was about to sell out and I knew that I could resell it for more afterwards. They marked the stuff as dispatched last week so it should have been here by now, and in the meantime I sold lots of it over the weekend to various buyers on Ebay and stated a dispatch time of up to 4 working days as I was sure that I would receive the stuff that I bought this week.

The tracking numbers from the seller who sold me the stuff show that the items have still not been collected from them and they are not replying to my emails. Meanwhile, I have lots of buyers and some of them are asking me when I will dispatch their stuff.

What should I do? And if the stuff I ordered never comes, will Ebay make sure that I'm not penalized if I let all my buyers down since this is the fault of the seller that I ordered the stuff from?

Ebay isn't to blame, they could still penalize you since you are reselling hand and this is going against the government advice!
i know it's hard for everyone,especially people like me who need the support!
but it's the only way to stop other families or even your own from having to deal with loss due to this virus, which i shall not name for my mental health!

check your spellling. 1) Penalize
Original post by GSCEstudent2020
Ebay isn't to blame, they could still penalize you since you are reselling hand and this is going against the government advice!
i know it's hard for everyone,especially people like me who need the support!
but it's the only way to stop other families or even your own from having to deal with loss due to this virus, which i shall not name for my mental health!

How am I going against government advice? I'm not leaving my home, the stuff will be delivered to me and then I will book a courier to collect it.
How am I going against government advice? I'm not leaving my home, the stuff will be delivered to me and then I will book a courier to collect it.

oh, sorry! didn't understand that bit! lol

check your spelling, its "spelling" not "spellling"

But they should have been delivered to me sooner than I need to dispatch them. So this is only a problem because I've been let down. For what it's worth, I've ordered the items from an outlet or a well-known high street chain on Ebay so didn't expect any problems.

no, its a problem because you have been let down, and you sold items you don't have. its your fault for not selling the items after you recieved them. if you cancel it ebay will blame you for it. they always side with the buyers. they will side with you when with the item you bought, but not with you with the items you sold.
check your spelling, its "spelling" not "spellling"

no, its a problem because you have been let down, and you sold items you don't have. its your fault for not selling the items after you recieved them. if you cancel it ebay will blame you for it. they always side with the buyers. they will side with you when with the item you bought, but not with you with the items you sold.

Fair enough that they will be understanding towards my buyers. But as I did it all through Ebay, mightn't they understand my situation and ensure that any negative feedback for me is removed?
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
It is not dropshipping. He is not sending it directly from another source, he will be sending it from within his possession.

He is doing what a lot of resellers do, and buying things to sell for more.

The only mistake he made was listing them before he had them. But that's not dropshipping. Also, I don't know what you mean by 'eBay don't like drop shippers', as it is allowed, providing the goods arrive with the buyer within a reasonable timeframe. I know this because I did it for a few months last year. Amazon don't like it, but eBay don't have an issue.

I would suggest you contact your buyers and state that you've had problems and offer a refund.

Should I be brutally honest with my buyers? What if I get lots of negative feedback?

At the moment I'm still HOPING that the stuff will come so I'm hoping that if I keep quiet to my buyers, it will be ok. But best case scenario, I'm probably going to have to send the orders out late which would still piss my buyers off.
Fair enough that they will be understanding towards my buyers. But as I did it all through Ebay, mightn't they understand my situation and ensure that any negative feedback for me is removed?

no. you are selling items that you dont have possession of, thats against the rules. ebay wont sympathize with you
no. you are selling items that you dont have possession of, thats against the rules. ebay wont sympathize with you

Please can you point to the bit of the rules that says that.

I have so much feedback and am 100% positive so can't allow this to be messed up by one company.
Please can you point to the bit of the rules that says that.

I have so much feedback and am 100% positive so can't allow this to be messed up by one company.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/drop-shipping?id=4176
"listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay."
https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/drop-shipping?id=4176
"listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay."

Ok thanks but I did purchase the items first and only listed them for sale once my seller had marked them as dispatched, so I don't think that clause really applies?
Reply 19

This is a British English forum where -ise is preferred over -ize. Don't criticise someone's spelling without being absolutely sure you're correct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending