The Student Room Group

Anyone else still use Windows XP or Windows 7?

So I'm bit of an old school guy. I've got a desktop and a laptop running Windows 7, and on the laptop I've also got a virtual machine running Windows XP, which I use occasionally to play Simcity 4 (a city buliding game), as well as other old games that won't run on Windows 7. I also use it for casual internet browsing and doing college work.

In some ways, I prefer using it to my host machine because it's nice and quick with no distractions and no slowdowns (as on my host machine I have a lot of tabs and other programs open which slows things down to a crawl usually).

I also love the simplicity of Windows XP and love the way it looks with it's bliss background (remember the green hill anyone) which reminds me and my mum of tellytubby land (anyone remember watching that as a youngster?). :wink: Also the green start menu, blue task bar, good looking icons and the user-friendly interface.

Also it's sooooooooo much faster than my host machine even though I'm only running XP on 512MB of RAM, whereas my host machine has got 3GB of RAM but about three times as slow lol. :tongue:

WIndows XP runs really smoothly on just 1/2 GB RAM with not many background applications installed. Try running Windows 7 or (god forbid) Windows 10 on 1/2 GB RAM and see if you get the same results (spolier: you will not!).

Another reason I use it is for nostalgia reasons. I used Windows XP from Year 4 in Primary School until Year 10 in high school (when my school sadly upgraded to Windows 7). I also used it as my host machine from 2009 - 2014. The startup sound, the Please Wait, Windows is starting up, preparing network connections, applying computer settings, loading your personal settings etc messages at bootup and logon and shutdown.

I also use Microsoft Office 2003 on my Windows XP VM to do my college work on. It is still one of the best versions of Office in my opinion as it is simple and easy to use and was the last version to use pull-down menus before they brought in the ribbon interface in Office 2007.

I also love the areo interface on WIndows 7 as well, and both WIndows XP and Windows 7 are both superior to Windows 10 in my opinion.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
It’s really not advisable to use XP for internet browsing. That OS hasn’t been supported for years and all browsers are therefore out of date.
Original post by ROC10
It’s really not advisable to use XP for internet browsing. That OS hasn’t been supported for years and all browsers are therefore out of date.

It's still usable if you use Google Chrome. You can't get the latest version of Chrome in Windows XP but the latest version compatible with XP is still compatible with YouTube and most other sites.

And I don't use it to login to sites like eBay or Amazon or online banks etc.
Original post by ROC10

It's still usable if you use Google Chrome. You can't get the latest version of Chrome in Windows XP but the latest version compatible with XP is still compatible with YouTube and most other sites.

And I don't use it to login to sites like eBay or Amazon or online banks etc.
Yes.
I'm using Windows 7 and Vista.
Windows is pretty crap imo. Was a user since it all began and Win 95 still was the best one.
CP/M
Reply 7
My laptop came with windows 10 but I always used windows 7 on my pc till it p*ssed me off (the pc not the os).
Original post by londonmyst
Yes.
I'm using Windows 7 and Vista.

Vista is pretty crap really. XP is better.
Original post by CollegeStudent99
So I'm bit of an old school guy. I've got a desktop and a laptop running Windows 7, and on the laptop I've also got a virtual machine running Windows XP, which I use occasionally to play Simcity 4 (a city buliding game), as well as other old games that won't run on Windows 7. I also use it for casual internet browsing and doing college work.

In some ways, I prefer using it to my host machine because it's nice and quick with no distractions and no slowdowns (as on my host machine I have a lot of tabs and other programs open which slows things down to a crawl usually).

I also love the simplicity of Windows XP and love the way it looks with it's bliss background (remember the green hill anyone) which reminds me and my mum of tellytubby land (anyone remember watching that as a youngster?). :wink: Also the green start menu, blue task bar, good looking icons and the user-friendly interface.

Also it's sooooooooo much faster than my host machine even though I'm only running XP on 512MB of RAM, whereas my host machine has got 3GB of RAM but about three times as slow lol. :tongue:

WIndows XP runs really smoothly on just 1/2 GB RAM with not many background applications installed. Try running Windows 7 or (god forbid) Windows 10 on 1/2 GB RAM and see if you get the same results (spolier: you will not!).

Another reason I use it is for nostalgia reasons. I used Windows XP from Year 4 in Primary School until Year 10 in high school (when my school sadly upgraded to Windows 7). I also used it as my host machine from 2009 - 2014. The startup sound, the Please Wait, Windows is starting up, preparing network connections, applying computer settings, loading your personal settings etc messages at bootup and logon and shutdown.

I also use Microsoft Office 2003 on my Windows XP VM to do my college work on. It is still one of the best versions of Office in my opinion as it is simple and easy to use and was the last version to use pull-down menus before they brought in the ribbon interface in Office 2007.

I also love the areo interface on WIndows 7 as well, and both WIndows XP and Windows 7 are both superior to Windows 10 in my opinion.

I still use windows 7 until now but my favorite OS is Windows XP because it is faster and smoother but sad to say Google Chrome does not support it.
Windows 10 on desktop and Ubuntu on laptop.
Original post by vladsuvorov1523
I still use windows 7 until now but my favorite OS is Windows XP because it is faster and smoother but sad to say Google Chrome does not support it.

You can still use Google Chrome on windows XP though and YouTube still supports it at the moment. Actually the old version of Google Chrome has a simple interface and looks cleaner than the new one.
Reply 12
Original post by CollegeStudent99
You can still use Google Chrome on windows XP though and YouTube still supports it at the moment. Actually the old version of Google Chrome has a simple interface and looks cleaner than the new one.

What about security though? Besides, many websites will soon (if not already) stop working on it. I think some people need to accept that XP is a 19-year-old OS. Regardless of how much you like it, it’s very much had it’s day.
Original post by ROC10
What about security though? Besides, many websites will soon (if not already) stop working on it. I think some people need to accept that XP is a 19-year-old OS. Regardless of how much you like it, it’s very much had it’s day.

People said that 5 or even 10 years ago but XP still goes on! Just get a decent antivirus (AVG, Avira, Avast, Kaspersky) and don't go on any dodgy websites or do online shopping, online shopping etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending