The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

worried about the ground floor for student accom

basically im a bit dumb so the problems of staying on the ground floor didn't occur to me until now and im stressing out a bit, everyone says to avoid the ground floor but i was randomly allocated it and im pretty sure im in the first room...

it was first come first serve so i applied quickly to get a decent accom / room, but i didn't get either of those and now i have to also stay on the ground floor, i just really wish i waited a bit before applying because i feel like people who applied after got a nicer room on floors higher up

i won't know how it is until i move there but im generally worried about the noise from both outside and upstairs, the privacy issues like having to keep extra safe, keeping curtains and windows closed etc... which seems like such a pain :frown:

im lucky to have accom at least and will probably just have to get used to it, but there doesn't seem to be many benefits for being on the ground floor or it's not like im paying any less for staying there, i just feel really unlucky despite my efforts

i know i could email to swap asking if there is any space, which i really doubt at this point, but i also wonder if it would be worth trying to change without even seeing the accom yet

im not the first person who has to deal with it so i wanted to see how it was for anyone else who has stayed on the ground floor, in particular a room close to the entrance, i guess i just need some reassurance about it
I've had 3 ground floor halls rooms now, and it really isn't a problem. Often the windows don't open very far, so it's secure regardless (although of course they still recommend you lock them when you're not in). My uni also provides an extra privacy netting for all ground floor windows, so nobody can see in properly. If your uni doesn't provide this it should be easy enough to get your own. The only way anyone is easily getting into your room is if you don't lock the door, which is poor practice regardless of your floor!

Often noise comes from the surrounding rooms, so you actually have less noise in that sense, since you'll only have a neighbour above, rather than above and below. (And you don't need to worry about being that stomping upstairs neighbour that everyone hates :biggrin:) I did get more noise in my corridor last year, but that's just because I lived on the route to the launderette, so all the flats at my end of the block had that problem no matter what floor they were on.

You'll probably appreciate being on the ground floor once you're coming back with a heavy batch of shopping, or after sports or something where you don't want to be doing a ton of stairs. I definitely do when we have 2am fire alarms and everyone else has to do all those flights of stairs! (Also slightly more niche case, but I was super grateful for it once I made a few friends who are wheelchair users, as I was able to invite them into my flat just like all my other friends.)
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
I've had 3 ground floor halls rooms now, and it really isn't a problem. Often the windows don't open very far, so it's secure regardless (although of course they still recommend you lock them when you're not in). My uni also provides an extra privacy netting for all ground floor windows, so nobody can see in properly. If your uni doesn't provide this it should be easy enough to get your own. The only way anyone is easily getting into your room is if you don't lock the door, which is poor practice regardless of your floor!

Often noise comes from the surrounding rooms, so you actually have less noise in that sense, since you'll only have a neighbour above, rather than above and below. (And you don't need to worry about being that stomping upstairs neighbour that everyone hates :biggrin:) I did get more noise in my corridor last year, but that's just because I lived on the route to the launderette, so all the flats at my end of the block had that problem no matter what floor they were on.

You'll probably appreciate being on the ground floor once you're coming back with a heavy batch of shopping, or after sports or something where you don't want to be doing a ton of stairs. I definitely do when we have 2am fire alarms and everyone else has to do all those flights of stairs! (Also slightly more niche case, but I was super grateful for it once I made a few friends who are wheelchair users, as I was able to invite them into my flat just like all my other friends.)

Were you in any Taly Halls on the ground floor!?
Original post by Anonymous
basically im a bit dumb so the problems of staying on the ground floor didn't occur to me until now and im stressing out a bit, everyone says to avoid the ground floor but i was randomly allocated it and im pretty sure im in the first room...

it was first come first serve so i applied quickly to get a decent accom / room, but i didn't get either of those and now i have to also stay on the ground floor, i just really wish i waited a bit before applying because i feel like people who applied after got a nicer room on floors higher up

i won't know how it is until i move there but im generally worried about the noise from both outside and upstairs, the privacy issues like having to keep extra safe, keeping curtains and windows closed etc... which seems like such a pain :frown:

im lucky to have accom at least and will probably just have to get used to it, but there doesn't seem to be many benefits for being on the ground floor or it's not like im paying any less for staying there, i just feel really unlucky despite my efforts

i know i could email to swap asking if there is any space, which i really doubt at this point, but i also wonder if it would be worth trying to change without even seeing the accom yet

im not the first person who has to deal with it so i wanted to see how it was for anyone else who has stayed on the ground floor, in particular a room close to the entrance, i guess i just need some reassurance about it

Hi there!

Can I ask what accommodation you are in? It can vary a lot. Generally, there are no major issues but if it's a louder accommodation then that may bother you more.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending