The Student Room Group
Students researching, Cardiff Metropolitan University (UWIC)
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Visit website

Cardiff Met (potential 2021 student)

Hi :smile:
I am thinking of applying to this uni for 2021 to study international hospitality and tourism management. I would be staying at the Plas Gwyn campus.
If anyone goes/is going to go to Cardiff Met and has any advice or feedback it would be much appreciated!
What is the uni like as a whole?
What is the night life like?
Is it worth it?
How is the accommodation?
If you do or are thinking of doing this course what is it like?
Thank you :smile:
Hi I’m planning on going to Cardiff met. My older sister goes and she says it’s not all serious. The university itself is quite laid back and the professors are open about anything lol
Students researching, Cardiff Metropolitan University (UWIC)
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Visit website
Original post by Has578854
Hi I’m planning on going to Cardiff met. My older sister goes and she says it’s not all serious. The university itself is quite laid back and the professors are open about anything lol

Hi! what year would you be starting at cardiff met? does your sister enjoy it? thanks x
I’m currently in y12 so would be going in 2020. She enjoys it. But I have to say it’s quite laid back. Like the lecturer would apparently openly talk like they’re friends and have a laugh. That’s the reason I’m going and it’s close to home :tongue: I know the other big unis are serious. But this uni will prob happily accept any grades and me not being a high achiever like 3A*s and stuff I think this unis right for people who are just average like C and B grade students
I’m currently in y12 so would be going in 2020. She enjoys it. But I have to say it’s quite laid back. Like the lecturer would apparently openly talk like they’re friends and have a laugh. That’s the reason I’m going and it’s close to home :tongue: I know the other big unis are serious. But this uni will prob happily accept any grades and me not being a high achiever like 3A*s and stuff I think this unis right for people who are just average like C and B grade students

ahh okay thank you!

As for accomadation not sure because were quite close to the uni and wouldn’t know anything for nightlife as we don’t drink. If you go on Facebook groups and pages on Cardiff met you’ll find other ppl their views hope this helps :-)
As someone who spent 3 years there and went back for a masters (5 years later-hey, it was a lot cheaper than other places and I think I romanticised my undergrad experience in my head) I would say that Cardiff Met is **** and whatever you do, do not waste your money on going there. I'm not even biased as everyone I know, both on my undergrad course and on my MA course, absolutely hate it and regret choosing it. If it wasn't for the friends I made in undergrad, I'd have dropped out. As for accommodation, I lived off campus for all 3 years of undergrad in a private house and it was so much better compared to my friends who hated living on campus and in the student halls not on campus. I paid £250 a month for the first year, then when I moved it was £265 for the next 2 years. Baring in mind, I was at the Cyncoed campus and did different subjects to you. Therefore, I can't comment on the teaching from that side of things.
Original post by Anonymous
As someone who spent 3 years there and went back for a masters (5 years later-hey, it was a lot cheaper than other places and I think I romanticised my undergrad experience in my head) I would say that Cardiff Met is **** and whatever you do, do not waste your money on going there. I'm not even biased as everyone I know, both on my undergrad course and on my MA course, absolutely hate it and regret choosing it. If it wasn't for the friends I made in undergrad, I'd have dropped out. As for accommodation, I lived off campus for all 3 years of undergrad in a private house and it was so much better compared to my friends who hated living on campus and in the student halls not on campus. I paid £250 a month for the first year, then when I moved it was £265 for the next 2 years. Baring in mind, I was at the Cyncoed campus and did different subjects to you. Therefore, I can't comment on the teaching from that side of things.

But no, I would 100% say it's not worth it. People on my undergrad course collectively agree that we all graduated in spite of the university, not because of it. There were so many issues at undergrad, but as I blocked them out since then, I'll focus on the MA. There is zero guidance and you feel lost every single day. We're talking no marking criteria, being laughed at when you ask for clarification. Zero replies to emails. Additionally, you know Boris Johnson's speech where he was saying "do this but don't do this", that's Cardiff Met. You aren't clear on anything. The only saving grace is the other staff. The ict people, the library people etc.
omg okay, right that’s different to what lots of people are saying😂 is there any particular reasons that made it so bad? and why did you go back for masters if you found it so bad?
But no, I would 100% say it's not worth it. People on my undergrad course collectively agree that we all graduated in spite of the university, not because of it. There were so many issues at undergrad, but as I blocked them out since then, I'll focus on the MA. There is zero guidance and you feel lost every single day. We're talking no marking criteria, being laughed at when you ask for clarification. Zero replies to emails. Additionally, you know Boris Johnson's speech where he was saying "do this but don't do this", that's Cardiff Met. You aren't clear on anything. The only saving grace is the other staff. The ict people, the library people etc.

Other than no guidance what else made it a bad experience ? Everyone’s experience of uni is different so I just want to clarify that it’s just not your personal choice of course or accommodation or anything like that.
I went back because alumni discount meant it was £2250 cheaper. I could travel from home. The tutors had changed so I thought, oh, well maybe it has improved.
Original post by sophiexnolan
Other than no guidance what else made it a bad experience ? Everyone’s experience of uni is different so I just want to clarify that it’s just not your personal choice of course or accommodation or anything like that.

Exactly. as I said, I was on cyncoed campus :smile: I have no idea about the other campuses or the teaching from that side. Tbh, it's difficult to put down exactly what it is. I mean, the very fact that they "threatened" us when we did the undergrad review at the end says it all...saying that whatever was said would be passed onto any future employer so don't say anything bad. I mean, if it was only my experience of it then I probably wouldn't have applied. But we are talking about 18 people on the undergrad course and 22 on the masters and I don't know a single one of them who is happy with their experience. It's a lot of different reasons. But then, it's up to you and what your expectations are and what you are hoping to get out of it. No guidance has a pretty big impact though. It messes with you both mentally and academically. 2 girls who got 76 and 78 altogether for their undergrad degrees barely scraped a pass at a masters module because of it (btw this wasn't even a new module). So I guess it's just what you want out of the experience. I never heard sports students complain during undergrad but then again when I was on the bus to uni to register for my MA I heard some of them say they couldn't wait for it to be over and they called the place **** basically. I had forgotten how **** undergrad was tbh, but then looking through my facebook memories and likes, I found so many posts from people about how **** ti was.
But yeah, there's a reason it's like above 90 in the university rankings
Oh, additionally, the drama students also hated it
Exactly. as I said, I was on cyncoed campus :smile: I have no idea about the other campuses or the teaching from that side. Tbh, it's difficult to put down exactly what it is. I mean, the very fact that they "threatened" us when we did the undergrad review at the end says it all...saying that whatever was said would be passed onto any future employer so don't say anything bad. I mean, if it was only my experience of it then I probably wouldn't have applied. But we are talking about 18 people on the undergrad course and 22 on the masters and I don't know a single one of them who is happy with their experience. It's a lot of different reasons. But then, it's up to you and what your expectations are and what you are hoping to get out of it. No guidance has a pretty big impact though. It messes with you both mentally and academically. 2 girls who got 76 and 78 altogether for their undergrad degrees barely scraped a pass at a masters module because of it (btw this wasn't even a new module). So I guess it's just what you want out of the experience. I never heard sports students complain during undergrad but then again when I was on the bus to uni to register for my MA I heard some of them say they couldn't wait for it to be over and they called the place **** basically. I had forgotten how **** undergrad was tbh, but then looking through my facebook memories and likes, I found so many posts from people about how **** ti was.

*replied to your post not 'applied'
Agreed with above, Cardiff Met is ridiculously bad. I hated my 3 years there. I studied psychology at Llandaff campus but lived on Cyncoed for the first 2 years. I got really bad sixth form grades and they basically only took me in on clearing day to fill up the course. I was a part of the tennis group for 2 years, horrible people and made me feel like a right outsider because i wanted to compete seriously as opposed to going out on the lash with them. I will give them credit that Llandaff is a real nice campus with really nice facilities but quite small and never anywhere to sit at peak times. I can't comment on the luxury of plas gwyn halls but i think it's much easier to get along with people there than what it is on cyncoed because they are more open and friendly type people. The lecturers on my course were ok, a real mixed bag, most were good at lecturing and delivering the content but terrible when it came to asking about assignments or asking more in depth past the lecture material. I always felt i never made enough use of their office time or asking them questions but it was because they never actually answered my question or gave me the wrong answer which meant i got penalised in my assignments. I chose my favourite lecturer as my dissertation supervisor and he ended up being really cold with me and gave me no help at all, I was definitely his least favourite. Something to bare in mind I guess but obviously every course is different. One thing I did find which really annoyed me was that most students were very babyish and started drama all the time. Living on cyncoed i found that it was really hard to make any friends on that campus past freshers, everyone had congregated into cliques by the end of it and were very stand off ish to new people. I would say it's not a uni that's kind to those who don't drink or party often, you might feel quite isolated. as for the nightlife i found it quite expensive and repetitive, but the shopping centre was always good. I wouldn't say it's one of the worst unis but it definitely isn't the best and i found that the people involved within the uni and the people i met were the ones that really made it a horrible place to be. There are definitely better unis out there, the normal cardiff uni is even much better. it's also dubbed a 'sporting' uni but it's really bad for sports and we always lost varsity to bath
Original post by sophiexnolan
Hi :smile:
I am thinking of applying to this uni for 2021 to study international hospitality and tourism management. I would be staying at the Plas Gwyn campus.
If anyone goes/is going to go to Cardiff Met and has any advice or feedback it would be much appreciated!
What is the uni like as a whole?
What is the night life like?
Is it worth it?
How is the accommodation?
If you do or are thinking of doing this course what is it like?
Thank you :smile:

Hi, i am also hoping to study here in september 2021, possibly at Plas gwyn :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending