The Student Room Group

The Official English Personal Study / Dissertation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I'm hoping that was just a typo and you meant to write Dickens :biggrin: I stared at that for five minutes knowing something was wrong before I realised, so I'm one to talk really!

Thanks for all the input guys, keep 'em coming :smile:
Reply 81
Acaila
I'm hoping that was just a typo and you meant to write Dickens :biggrin: I stared at that for five minutes knowing something was wrong before I realised, so I'm one to talk really!

Thanks for all the input guys, keep 'em coming :smile:

Haha. Darwin :p:

I'm doing higher English in 6th year, so I think I'll do The Catcher in the Rye.
Reply 82
You know, that happens ALL the friggin time. Luckily no fault during the exam. The scientist I am...

Amended now. You can read my post without any confusion (hopefully) :smile:
Reply 83
I actually did in one of my Higher essays (not in the exam thankfully) the following:
"Hotel Room 12th Floor is a play in which...." (it's a poem for anyone lucky enough not to have studied it). Drama on the brain me! :biggrin:

Have copied questions and such into the first post, if people even know what friends are doing or anything like that it's still handy :smile:
Reply 84
if anyone did it was it difficult to do i really need to get an A in this any help
Reply 85
A personal study isn't graded - so technically, you can't get an A in it :P

A few people in our class did it - most of them took a few times to pass it, but I don't think that was due to the book :P
Reply 86
I'm sure you could probably do it, although I'm not sure how strong a piece of "literature" it is.

I'd check with your teacher as well, cos some are really old school and won't let you do something really controversial like that.
Reply 87
we got given a list the waterstones top 100 books of the century and it was 10th
Reply 88
True. But that doesn't automatically mean it's a fantastic piece of literature to do a personal study on; the BFG and Matilda are on the list too.

I'm sure you could probably get a pass with it though.
What book you chose? 1984, by george orwell
Any comments on it - maybe overdone, but there is loads to write about.
What the question you decided on was? What techniques does Orwell use to evoke the effect of Big Brother on Winston's character.
Any advice to others doing their personal studies? Do NOT go for something which you think will be really easy, and do not treat it like a quick pass and then you can forget about it. The PS is important for appeals, and a poor PS will result in extra nerves, and less confidence when it comes down to the final exam. You need as much essay practice as you can get. And practice the PS under timed conditions teh night before.
Reply 90
im realy confused about what to do and we have till monday to start reading it im a guy and dont like all the love crap any suggestions
Jekyll and Hyde. Not finished it, but I'm really enjoying it and there's loads to talk about so far. It's really short as well, like 60-70 pages or something.
db1234
im realy confused about what to do and we have till monday to start reading it im a guy and dont like all the love crap any suggestions

Dulce Et Decorum Est, not too much "love crap" in there :p:
You sure like that poem :P
It's more that if someone just wants to get a personal study done, it's infinitely easier to do a poem :smile: And yeah, it is very good :p:
Reply 95
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori!
Reply 96
db1234

A Streetcar Named Desire...rape, prostitution, domestic violence and macho-ism...if you like all that sort of thing.
kiwi-93
A Streetcar Named Desire...rape, prostitution, domestic violence and macho-ism...if you like all that sort of thing.

We are doing that right now for our AH English :biggrin:

Here's mine:
What book you chose? Equus by Peter Shaffer
Any comments on it - An unconventional and controversial play that has lots of themes about humanity under its facade of violence.
Questio - An analysis on how Peter Shaffer effectively created an atmosphere of tension throughout his play "Equus"
Any advice to others doing their personal studies? You may wish to consider picking a play, as it is normally less laden with meaning than a poem but more manageable and easier to read than novel-length prose. Also for a play you can focus entirely or partly on stage directions, dramatic techniques, costume and prop setting and lighting which can only be found in drama.
I did Carrie by Stephen King last year, I think my english teacher was a bit worried about me (if you haven't read/seen it, it's basically a messed up bloodbath from start to finish). However, there was lots of symbolism and themes to talk about and I passed the NAB.

Moral of the story, you don't have to do a classic or a really well known piece, as long as there's something in particular you can write about - and you enjoyed it, that's probably the most important part.

Meteorshower

It's more that if someone just wants to get a personal study done, it's infinitely easier to do a poem :smile:

Not neccessarily, I always found poems too restrictive to write about, I'd rather write about a longer book.
Bassmonkey

Not neccessarily, I always found poems too restrictive to write about, I'd rather write about a longer book.

You might not prefer it but effort wise it's a lot less

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending