The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Accommodation FAQ's

We have compiled the most frequently asked questions about accommodation at the University of Plymouth so that they are in one place for you to see them!

Which is the best halls?

I'm looking at studying medicine. Where is best to live if my lectures aren't on the main campus?

I can't decide between university-managed halls and privately-owned halls. What are the main differences and which should I choose?

Is it possible to get to know my flat mates before I move into halls?

I'm wondering whether to live in a house in first year. What areas are best? Will I get the same social experience as halls?

Are some halls more popular with international students?

When will accommodation offers be sent?

How do I select my hall preferences?

When can I apply for accommodation?

I have disabilities or require specific requirements.

Which Halls are based on Campus?

Is there parking available?

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask them here :smile:
Laura - University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So I am waiting to be sent a link to set my password for the accommodation portal but I know I have to wait 72 working hours for the link to be sent(as I’ve just firmed Plymouth).
I’m just worried that I’m not going to get a choice for the halls I want ,or a place at all.
Should I be worried and do you think a lot of places have been taken up already?
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
So I am waiting to be sent a link to set my password for the accommodation portal but I know I have to wait 72 working hours for the link to be sent(as I’ve just firmed Plymouth).
I’m just worried that I’m not going to get a choice for the halls I want ,or a place at all.
Should I be worried and do you think a lot of places have been taken up already?

Hi there,

Hopefully you have received the link by now. If you haven't give us a message and I can give the accommodation team an email :smile:

Laura - University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
Hello Everyone,

If you are going to be studying with us this September, congratulations on securing a place! If you still need to sort out your accommodation and find flatmates you can do this online via the university website https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation.

You can access the dedicated website for further information about clearing accommodation here - https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation/clearing-accommodation.

Don't forget the University also offers postgraduate accommodation for those of you who will be studying for your graduate degrees! I stayed in university-managed halls and had such an amazing time! I had some really brilliant flatmates that were exactly what I wanted - I was after a more chilled out, quiet vibe and that's exactly what I got. You can enquire about spaces via the link provided https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation/applicants/specific-requirements.

Let me know if you have any questions about accommodation!

Yasmin ~ University of Plymouth Postgraduate Student Rep
Studio room for rent!😍🙌🏼78ae890d-1430-41b2-aac0-ba9e6c3b0675.JPG

Change in circumstances mean that I no longer need this room so I am looking for a new tenant to occupy the room

Beckley Point is in the centre of Plymouth and located close to both Universities in Plymouth

Beckley Point is a stunning, modern building that has EVERYTHING within it that you will need. It is located extremely close to local shops too

Room details

-51 week contract (£161/week)
-First rent fee has been paid by myself
-standard studio apartment
-kitchen
-Breakfast bar
-en suite
-double bed
-move in date 12th September 2020
-Leave date 4th September 2021

I am gutted to no longer be moving to Plymouth as this room is PERFECT

ANY ENQUIRES please drop me a as soon as possible 🤞🏼
AVAILABLE ROOM FOR RENT

Anyone looking for a room this September? Due to unfortunate circumstances I will be dropping out of University of Plymouth and therefore need a new tenant to occupy my room.

I stayed at Central point my last yr(my first year 19-20) and I can tell you Central Point is at a great location being right in the city centre with 2 Poundland shops right next to it, there’s a Pizza Hut, McDonald’s n KFC within 3 n 5 minutes of the accommodation each so great for coming back from a night out or Just eating out. It’s 5 minutes away from Drake Circus the shopping centre and 8-10mins away from the University. It’s a very ideal location with everything within walking distance😍.

Room details:

8 person flat
Classic en-suite
Double bed
Rent: £4085.00😱
Tenancy period: 12/09/20-10/07/21

Anyone interested please message thanks👌
(edited 3 years ago)
Hello Student Reps, Which is the best accommodation for postgraduate mature students as I'm looking for the same chilled out quiet vibe, alcohol-free, cheap and cheerful? I just need some insider information and firsthand experiences, to point me in the right direction, please? Kind Regards, Harry.
Original post by harry.bhatoa
Hello Student Reps, Which is the best accommodation for postgraduate mature students as I'm looking for the same chilled out quiet vibe, alcohol-free, cheap and cheerful? I just need some insider information and firsthand experiences, to point me in the right direction, please? Kind Regards, Harry.

Hello @harry.bhatoa,

I stayed in Robbin's standard postgrad halls, which meant I didn't have an ensuite and shared the toilet and shower room with my housemates. Luckily, I only had 2 other girls in my flat even though the flat had 8 rooms in total. As I stayed in the university-managed accommodation, I got to fill out a survey before I moved in, which basically let me suggest the type of atmosphere I'd like. For example, I said I go to bed quite early, don't go out much and I like things to be extremely clean. My housemates were amazing, and we were always the cleanest flat in the block (our cleaner gave us a box of doughnuts as a thank you for always keeping our communal areas clean and tidy). I could not fault the flat, apart from the fact that it is located close to undergrad flats so on the odd occasion you may hear people being loud before they go out, but this is quite normal considering you are close to some bars and lots of other student properties. With the university managed halls you can also state you are after an alcohol-free flat and they are really good at accommodating for this.

As for the other postgraduate accommodations, I never visited any so I cannot personally comment on this. If you don't mind sharing a house, you can always have a look on Spareroom.co.uk which has various rooms in a houseshare, usually, they will state if they are a professional house which caters to mature and/or postgraduate students which might also be a good option. On the other hand, you could go for the student shared housing which is usually stated in the description box on the website, however, if you're after a quiet environment I'd check what the current housemates are like and what ages they are, this can sometimes give you a good idea about the atmosphere.

I hope this helps! Happy house hunting.

Original post by University of Plymouth Postgraduate Student Rep
Hello @harry.bhatoa,

I stayed in Robbin's standard postgrad halls, which meant I didn't have an ensuite and shared the toilet and shower room with my housemates. Luckily, I only had 2 other girls in my flat even though the flat had 8 rooms in total. As I stayed in the university-managed accommodation, I got to fill out a survey before I moved in, which basically let me suggest the type of atmosphere I'd like. For example, I said I go to bed quite early, don't go out much and I like things to be extremely clean. My housemates were amazing, and we were always the cleanest flat in the block (our cleaner gave us a box of doughnuts as a thank you for always keeping our communal areas clean and tidy). I could not fault the flat, apart from the fact that it is located close to undergrad flats so on the odd occasion you may hear people being loud before they go out, but this is quite normal considering you are close to some bars and lots of other student properties. With the university managed halls you can also state you are after an alcohol-free flat and they are really good at accommodating for this.

As for the other postgraduate accommodations, I never visited any so I cannot personally comment on this. If you don't mind sharing a house, you can always have a look on Spareroom.co.uk which has various rooms in a houseshare, usually, they will state if they are a professional house which caters to mature and/or postgraduate students which might also be a good option. On the other hand, you could go for the student shared housing which is usually stated in the description box on the website, however, if you're after a quiet environment I'd check what the current housemates are like and what ages they are, this can sometimes give you a good idea about the atmosphere.

I hope this helps! Happy house hunting.

How likely is it for postgrads who apply to receive accommodation? Do the spots usually fill up?
QUALITY STUDENT ACCOMMODATION https://adpropertysolutions.wordpress.com

Hi all,

Hope you're well, if you’re considering a private student home for 2021 then please do get in touch? I’m currently looking for a student to replace me, to occupy a CLEAN, quiet and comfy student house (RENT FREE until 1st Jan 2021 if you wanted to move-in sooner), with two lovely housemates, and a good professional landlord, just off campus on North Road East, in a single room at £79 per week (cheapest student price in Plymouth), as unfortunately I've had to withdraw from postgrad study this year due to a change in circumstances. Please let me know if you are interested? Here’s the link again for room details No 59: https://adpropertysolutions.wordpress.com

Kind Regards, Harry 🙂
Attachment not found
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sierragr95
How likely is it for postgrads who apply to receive accommodation? Do the spots usually fill up?

Hi @sierragr95,

From my experience, not all of the rooms in my flat were occupied and people never moved in during the year. I will email the accommodation team to find out more about this and let you know.

Best,
Hi @sierragr95,

From my experience, not all of the rooms in my flat were occupied and people never moved in during the year. I will email the accommodation team to find out more about this and let you know.

Best,

Hi @sierragr95,

I have just heard back from the accommodations team. I have been informed that they will usually always be able to offer a post-graduate room; however, your preferred room type may not be available. E.g. Large en-suites usually sell out first. This was the case for me and I had to move into a standard room where I shared a bathroom. This wasn't an issue for me as we had a cleaner once a week and I found it was always spotless.

If you have any more questions about accommodation you can send an email to [email protected] to discuss their availability.

I hope this helps!

Hi @sierragr95,

I have just heard back from the accommodations team. I have been informed that they will usually always be able to offer a post-graduate room; however, your preferred room type may not be available. E.g. Large en-suites usually sell out first. This was the case for me and I had to move into a standard room where I shared a bathroom. This wasn't an issue for me as we had a cleaner once a week and I found it was always spotless.

If you have any more questions about accommodation you can send an email to [email protected] to discuss their availability.

I hope this helps!

Thanks!!
Hi Everyone :smile:,

I hope you are having a great week so far. I just thought I would talk about my experience in halls as many of you may want to know. I was in Robbins Hall, a university-managed hall. It was a great experience. The management team and the cleaners are all super friendly. They run events and competitions which are always great fun and often give away free food! My flatmates became like family and we often had flat cooking nights that are some of the best memories I have.

As usual, if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Continue to stay safe.

- Tsian Undergrad Rep
Hi Everyone,

Our Accommodation Portal is open for halls this September! :danceboy:

We guarantee a place in halls either University-managed or from accredited private providers to all undergraduate first-year students who make Plymouth their firm first choice and apply before 18 June 2021.

Once you've made us your firm first choice, you can enter our portal and make choices about your new home!

Follow our Residence Life Team on social media to see the latest updates and ask questions.

~ Catherine, University of Plymouth
Hi!

I know this is usually the time that decisions about accommodation and halls tend to take place now so here’s my experience of halls!

I was based in Radnor, which is right opposite the university and at the heart of the student village, as there were around two or three halls around Radnor as well, which meant that it was an area where you are surrounded by fellow students, and it certainly made it easier to make friends!

There were plenty of cafes nearby for an early breakfast on the weekend, such as Mrs. Browns, which also made delicious cakes to provide a sugar rush for late night study sessions! The area was incredibly sociable as well, as there were nearby pubs that were certainly lively on the weekend, and again provided another area to make friends with the people in your halls!

The layout of Radnor was also great as there was a courtyard in the centre, which meant that most mornings you could see people having a cup of tea under the sun, catching up on the night before. Because of how close it is to other halls as well, it meant that you were not limited to the people that were just in your halls, as it was certainly not isolated or separate from the university.

Because of how close it was to the university as well, it meant that there were no fears about having a late night study session at the library as it was a quick walk back, and because it’s such a student based environment, it feels much safer than if the halls were in an isolated area, away from campus!

- Alys, undergraduate rep, University of Plymouth
Hi!

The difference between first year accommodation and second year accommodation is not that big at all! Most of the second year accommodation is just as close to the uni, if not just a little farther, but usually never more than 10 minutes away! One tip that I would recommend is to start looking around November, so you can view as many properties as possible, to see which one is best suited for you!

All the student letting agencies are close to the university as well, so you don't have to travel far to try and arrange viewings! Arguably, the main difference between first and second year accommodation is that you have the choice of who you decide to live with! I opted to remain with my flatmates from first year as we had all become really close, but because of how close all the student accommodation is, you don't have to worry about being too far away from anybody you decide not to live with!

One thing to carefully consider is whether you do want to remain with your flatmates from first year or move in with a different group of friends, as you want to make sure that you know you all get along and enjoy one another's company as you'll be living with them for another year, or whether living with a new group of friends might be different when you live with one another, as this was something that I also had to consider when I began looking for second year accommodation.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :smile:

- Alys, undergraduate rep of University of Plymouth :smile:
Hi everyone!
I’m thinking of applying for a studio apartment for first year.
I’m quite introverted and not the biggest partier in the world so thought that would be a good option for me.
But I’ve also heard that it might leave you isolated and lonely, so just wondering what you guys think.
Is it a bad idea to live in studios as a first year?
Any thoughts will be appreciated!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone!
I’m thinking of applying for a studio apartment for first year.
I’m quite introverted and not the biggest partier in the world so thought that would be a good option for me.
But I’ve also heard that it might leave you isolated and lonely, so just wondering what you guys think.
Is it a bad idea to live in studios as a first year?
Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Hi!

I think you have to make the decision that's best for you, especially if you prefer to be by yourself more! I'm the same, and for my masters I've made the decision to get a studio as well! You'll make friends with those that you see around the apartment building, so you won't feel completely isolated, but you'll also make friends with those on your course and if you join a society! Most of my friends that I've met have been through both of those and I don't live with any of them, so the main thing is that you do feel comfortable where you live, especially if you would prefer a studio but when I applied for university, there was a survey we had to fill out where it asked how much you go out, how much you like to stay, and I'm not 100% sure if they still ask this, but if you follow this link: https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation/applicants there's a live chat option where they can confirm this.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

- Alys, undergraduate rep of University of Plymouth :smile:
Reply 19
Hello!
I've been offered a conditional offer to Plymouth (hopefully I'll get it!) and I'm looking around the different halls. Any halls in particular to recommend considering I'll spend some time at the North Campus (Peninsula Allied Health Centre)?
Help much appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending