The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough University Undergraduate Accommodation 2023 - FAQs

Hello

This thread is for all 2023 applicants who have questions about our accommodation here at Loughborough. Here are the most common FAQs answered in the drop downs below.

There are a lot of answers on the University Accommodation webpages too, but feel free to ask here if you can't find what you need. Don’t forget this is just a guide. The most up to date information is on our website, but this will give you a good idea of what to expect.

The Accommodation Centre has a great list of FAQs that are worth looking at here.

Firm Offer Holders Applying for Accommodation

Insurance/Clearing Offer Holders Applying for Accommodation

What's in the rooms

Catered or self-catered – choosing a hall type

Room Options – what they mean

A quick guide to each hall

Extra Fees

Private Accommodation

If any other questions come up regularly, we'll add them to this thread.

Hope this answers the majority of your questions, but as always, if there is anything else, please just ask :smile:

Vicky
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can I ask - DC has an offer and its his first choice. Is there any advantage to firming immediately - does that mean you get an earlier slot for the accommodation choice when it goes live? Many thanks
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Parenttotwo
Can I ask - DC has an offer and its his first choice. Is there any advantage to firming immediately - does that mean you get an earlier slot for the accommodation choice when it goes live? Many thanks

Hi @Parenttotwo,

I've been speaking to the accommodation team here at Loughborough in relation to your question. I recommend that you visit our FAQs for more helpful information on accommodation with regards to choices and our halls of residence: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/accommodation/faq/applying/

Furthermore, you are welcome to request more information by emailing the accommodation team at [email protected].

I hope I have helped! As always, if you have any further questions, let me know!

- Lindsay :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Has anyone with a deferred place heard anything about accommodation yet?
Original post by Kirstinroberts
Has anyone with a deferred place heard anything about accommodation yet?

Hi @Kirstinroberts,

Great to hear from you! If you have any queries about accommodation, please do feel free to use the contact details at the bottom of this webpage to request more information.

Hope this helps :smile:

- Lindsay
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Hello,

I was wondering if you could give me any more information on quiet rooms please? I am not quite sure what this means.

Thank you
Original post by Emily_W_4
Hello,

I was wondering if you could give me any more information on quiet rooms please? I am not quite sure what this means.

Thank you

Hi @Emily_W_4,

It's great to hear from you.

I would recommend emailing [email protected] for more details about this.

Hope this helps!

- Lindsay
Reply 7
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi @Emily_W_4,

It's great to hear from you.

I would recommend emailing [email protected] for more details about this.

Hope this helps!

- Lindsay

Thank you
After getting A-level results, being successful at securing a place at Loughborough Uni, the accommodation experience has left throughly disappointed.

We logged into the accommodation hub spot on the start time for my son's slot at 10:00, and when attempting to select a hall we only had choices of room type, and not specific halls as we thought should be the case, but as it's first our experience of the hub we were not sure what to expect. When collecting results from school, we mentioned this to one of my son's friends who had a later slot, he phoned us after he made his application to let us know he was able to select a hall, had it confirmed and accepted. We immediately rechecked our submission but still did not have a choice of hall, my wife then phoned the accommodation office, who we were unable to rectify the situation and will look into it, with no indication when we'll hear. We are now very worried that we only have a 'preference' saved despite being on the hub the moment it opened, when other applicants are selecting a hall, and our son might be allocated a room that is not ideal for him, so starting his Loughborough experience at a disadvantage.

This has spoilt results day for us, our celebration has gone flat. We hope to hear soon.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
We had a similar situation, we could see the halls but when we selected our choice it selected it as a preference and when we called they said they couldn't revert it back to hall selection.

It's very frustrating and hopefully they can rectify it soon, like you say, it puts a damper on the celebrations
Hi Gavin, thanks for the comment, and congratulations for getting the place at Loughborough.

Interesting to know we're not alone, hopefully they can rectify the issue, and our children are not disadvantaged by a failure of their IT system. After the wait for result, more stress when we should be winding down, and thinking/planning of our children's next 'adventure'.
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi @poetic-odyssey and @Gavin_M,

I wanted to start by saying congratulations on securing a place at Loughborough!

As soon as I read these messages this morning, I spoke to the Accommodation Centre as I wanted to try and help.

They have informed me that they are aware of this, and they will be in touch in the coming days to support you.

I know you have been in touch, but if you do have any other queries about accommodation, please direct them to the Accommodation Centre in the meantime.

Also, please do let me know if you have any questions about life at Loughborough and I will be happy to answer them :smile:

- Lindsay
Reply 12
I applied for accommodation today in my 4pm slot and there was literally nothing left. None of my 4 top choices were there and I dont feel comfortable sharing a bathroom but there was no other option. Why have other people been given priority to select whatever room/hall. Really disappointed with this after being excited to join yesterday
Reply 13
Original post by Gdihg
I applied for accommodation today in my 4pm slot and there was literally nothing left. None of my 4 top choices were there and I dont feel comfortable sharing a bathroom but there was no other option. Why have other people been given priority to select whatever room/hall. Really disappointed with this after being excited to join yesterday

This happened with me as well. I was ready at 4 and straight away there was no option for the en suite rooms I wanted, luckily got a shared en suite, was pretty sad, but i guess there’s not much we can do with a first come first serve situation
A positive experience here, logged onto the portal at 4pm, full list of halls were showing, scrolled to hall, clicked choice and confirmed there and then. Did read advice not to refresh page if there was a pause, just waited. All done in 3 to 4 minutes.
Original post by poetic-odyssey
After getting A-level results, being successful at securing a place at Loughborough Uni, the accommodation experience has left throughly disappointed.

We logged into the accommodation hub spot on the start time for my son's slot at 10:00, and when attempting to select a hall we only had choices of room type, and not specific halls as we thought should be the case, but as it's first our experience of the hub we were not sure what to expect. When collecting results from school, we mentioned this to one of my son's friends who had a later slot, he phoned us after he made his application to let us know he was able to select a hall, had it confirmed and accepted. We immediately rechecked our submission but still did not have a choice of hall, my wife then phoned the accommodation office, who we were unable to rectify the situation and will look into it, with no indication when we'll hear. We are now very worried that we only have a 'preference' saved despite being on the hub the moment it opened, when other applicants are selecting a hall, and our son might be allocated a room that is not ideal for him, so starting his Loughborough experience at a disadvantage.

This has spoilt results day for us, our celebration has gone flat. We hope to hear soon.

I also had an issue with booking accommodation, where I managed to put down my top choice of hall and room but the website froze and then I had to re login very quickly. I was on the site at exactly my time slot which was 4pm and after the hub froze none of the rooms were showing and instead all I saw was the general hall areas rather than specific room options. I did email about this and got a reply but I am confused because some seem to already know where they are staying but I haven't heard anything about my accommodation yet. Just want to know if there are others who also don't know what accommodation they been assigned yet and I'm not the only one haha.
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous
I also had an issue with booking accommodation, where I managed to put down my top choice of hall and room but the website froze and then I had to re login very quickly. I was on the site at exactly my time slot which was 4pm and after the hub froze none of the rooms were showing and instead all I saw was the general hall areas rather than specific room options. I did email about this and got a reply but I am confused because some seem to already know where they are staying but I haven't heard anything about my accommodation yet. Just want to know if there are others who also don't know what accommodation they been assigned yet and I'm not the only one haha.

You're not the only one, we're still waiting as well. Sounds like the system crashed in the same manner for you and you could just pick preferences
Original post by Gdihg

Hi @Gdihg,

I have read your message and wanted to say that if you have any concerns about accommodation, please do contact the Accommodation Centre (contact details can be found here) for further information as they are the best team to help.

- Lindsay
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there,

I know I've responded to this same message elsewhere, but I also wanted to post my reply here in case you don't see it :smile:

I'm sorry to hear that you faced issues. In relation to your question, I would recommend reviewing the FAQs here for some more information in the meantime. If anything is unclear or you have any concerns, please do feel free to ask the Accommodation Centre (contact details are here) for more information again.

- Lindsay
I don't know if it is clear, but Loughborough treated insurance place students less than clearing students in regards to accommodation. Obviously firm students that follow the rules/deadlines are guaranteed a room in halls. However Loughborough then guarantees a place in hall for clearing students, but not for insurance students.

This seems unfair, with no obvious reason as to why are insurance students treated less than clearing except for a marketing reason. For future applicants it maybe beneficial to not use your insurance place up on Loughborough and just use clearing. My daughter firmed Bath, but really liked Loughborough and Exeter. As Exeter was the same offer as Bath and Loughborough was one grade lower, she firmed Bath and selected Loughborough as the insurance as the rational decision. In fact it might of been better to firm Bath, select Exeter as insurance and rely on clearing for Loughborough.

As it was she missed Bath by 1 grade and was offered Loughborough as her insurance, however because the missed grade was in her best subject, we wasted a lot of time on the morning of the results investigating a remark instead of considering her options. Exeter did have her course in clearing, and she may have received an offer from Exeter as she was really close to the offer requirement.

If that hadn't happened, then her course was in clearing for Loughborough and she had met their per-clearing course requirements so could have still gone to Loughborough and would also be guaranteed accommodation in halls as she would be coming via clearing.

Incidently Loughborough are not the only university to guarantee accomodation to clearing students, I know at least Uni of Reading also guarantees accommodation to those coming via clearing, so it may be a startegy that would work for other applicants, aim very high on firm and insurance and get guaranteed accommodation via clearing if not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending