The Student Room Group

Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Welcome to the GEM 2025 entry thread.

Other useful threads
Medical Schools Index 2025 entry (for specific med school entry discussions): (not made yet)
Undergrad Medicine 2025 entry discussion: (not made yet)
UCAT 2025 entry discussion: (not made yet)
BMAT 2025 entry discussion: (not made yet)
GAMSAT 2025 / 2026 entry discussion: (not made yet)

Previous GEM threads
GEM 2024: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7126853
GEM 2023: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6655172
GEM 2022: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6100344
GEM 2021: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5332212
GEM 2020: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4894790
GEM 2019: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4678924

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, mention or advertise group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I’m looking to apply for GEM medicine after doing Biomedical science at York. My A-levels are BBB, should I bother resitting them or will it not affect my application so much? I have tons of work experience and I have a 1st class degree but my Alevels are just a bit messed up cos I have struggling with mental health issues at the time which I’m still annoyed about lol. I just want the best chance of entry as I know GEM is extremely competitive
Thanks for any advice given
Yeah basically I got BBB at Alevels and I really wanted to take a gap year so it would be easier however I was going through some domestic abuse which meant I couldn’t stay at home and therefore the best course of action personally for me was to go to University work on my mental health and apply to GEM. Are you sure most of the GEM unis don’t look at Alevels? I’ve seen they have entry requirements but I’m not sure whether they mean like “If you get higher I will look upon you more favourable” I just really wanna get in lol
Thank you so much for the link
But I’m sadly advised by my GP and sixth form to just get away from my family as soon as I can I can’t really just move out I would if I could but I’m in such a controlling south Asian household they wouldn’t let me move out, it’s hard to even for a undergrad degree. But I really really need to but I’m just hoping to get into graduate entry medicine as crazy as that sounds
Hi, for which ones does it state you dont get additional points for?
I’m really sorry this is hard to believe but even for Oxbridge even if you only get the minimum grades
Also would they shortlist using gsces
So would they even look at the 6 in Gsce German or the fact theoretically I only had AAB or AAA
Thank you I’m so sorry for all the questions, just so much going on I kinda want to take a gap year but I can’t find a job and it’s just all too much tbf lol
Original post by Abigail.alex
Yeah basically I got BBB at Alevels and I really wanted to take a gap year so it would be easier however I was going through some domestic abuse which meant I couldn’t stay at home and therefore the best course of action personally for me was to go to University work on my mental health and apply to GEM. Are you sure most of the GEM unis don’t look at Alevels? I’ve seen they have entry requirements but I’m not sure whether they mean like “If you get higher I will look upon you more favourable” I just really wanna get in lol

I’m very sorry about what you’re experiencing. I understand, as I went through something similar.

The easiest route into medicine is standard entry. GEM will be much harder.

I agree with ecolier that you should try to take a gap year if you can. Is there any way you can put up with your circumstances at home for another year? Bearing in mind it’s just one year v potentially lifetime of regret from not being able to get into GEM.

Your well-being comes first though, if you absolutely cannot stay at home and can’t move out due to the constraints placed by some south Asian families, then GEM could be an aspirational backup. But keep in mind if will be extremely competitive. Make sure to get as much work ex as you can during your degree and work much harder on UCAT/ GAMSAT as well as interviews. You’ll have to make peace with the fact that it may not happen regardless of your best efforts though.

I wish you the best.
Original post by micholate9
I’m very sorry about what you’re experiencing. I understand, as I went through something similar.

The easiest route into medicine is standard entry. GEM will be much harder.

I agree with ecolier that you should try to take a gap year if you can. Is there any way you can put up with your circumstances at home for another year? Bearing in mind it’s just one year v potentially lifetime of regret from not being able to get into GEM.

Your well-being comes first though, if you absolutely cannot stay at home and can’t move out due to the constraints placed by some south Asian families, then GEM could be an aspirational backup. But keep in mind if will be extremely competitive. Make sure to get as much work ex as you can during your degree and work much harder on UCAT/ GAMSAT as well as interviews. You’ll have to make peace with the fact that it may not happen regardless of your best efforts though.

I wish you the best.

Thank you for the condolences,
It is a very hard decision to make even if I have any decision on it at all, I’m so so horribly depressed I used to be an A star student aiming for A stars in all my Alevels then my mental health got so bad I ended up blanking out in most of my exams if you understand and now I really really want to resist my alevels but then again at the back of my mind idk if I can risk myself getting any worse than I already am. If I was to do GEM what would be your biggest tips for getting in other than work experience and getting a really good UCAT/BMAT/GAMSAT cos honestly I need all the chance i can get
Thank you for the condolences,
It is a very hard decision to make even if I have any decision on it at all, I’m so so horribly depressed I used to be an A star student aiming for A stars in all my Alevels then my mental health got so bad I ended up blanking out in most of my exams if you understand and now I really really want to resist my alevels but then again at the back of my mind idk if I can risk myself getting any worse than I already am. If I was to do GEM what would be your biggest tips for getting in other than work experience and getting a really good UCAT/BMAT/GAMSAT cos honestly I need all the chance i can get

I’m afraid I don’t have any more advice than what ecolier mentioned. I didn’t get an offer for GEM, just a place on a waitlist so I’m off to do standard entry medicine. I have had 8 years to save up for it though and an incredibly supportive husband, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to do it.

I understand what you mean about mental health. If you stay it might get worse, making it impossible to deal with A level resits let alone medicine application. Are you getting help for this? Think carefully about whether you can make it through with the right support and medication in place. If not, It might be worth considering physician’s associate as a career. It’s usually a postgraduate course but I believe Reading do a 4 year undergraduate course. It might be easier to get into compared with medicine. You could then try for GEM, and if it doesn’t work out, you’ll still have a career similar to medicine.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by micholate9
I’m afraid I don’t have any more advice than what ecolier mentioned. I didn’t get an offer for GEM, just a place on a waitlist so I’m off to do standard entry medicine. I have had 8 years to save up for it though and an incredibly supportive husband, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to do it.

I understand what you mean about mental health. If you stay it might get worse, making it impossible to deal with A level resits let alone medicine application. Are you getting help for this? Think carefully about whether you can make it through with the right support and medication in place. If not, It might be worth considering physician’s associate as a career. It’s usually a postgraduate course but I believe Reading do a 4 year undergraduate course. It might be easier to get into compared with medicine. You could then try for GEM, and if it doesn’t work out, you’ll still have a career similar to medicine.

Do u think I could privately message u the whole story lol
Do u think I could privately message u the whole story lol

Yes of course :smile:
Hi i just wanted to ask some advice!!
what would be better to work hard and go for GEM or to take a gap year and resit my Alevels since i got BBB, i thought that med schools dont like resitting alevels? Especially since I would have to resit all of them
Reply 15
Hey everyone,

I spent a lot of year 12 and year 13 on here lol. Long story short thoroughly debated applying to medicine, but I did. Got 3 offers, but was still very unsure whether to take them all of year 13. I did accept offers, but ended up underperforming in my exam do to so many reasons I won't get into.

I knew I'd missed my offer from my second chemistry exam haha, while you can never be completely sure I was a solid 99%. So I had all summer to think about that to do when what I thought would happen on results day did happen. I strongly considered resitting and reapplying, because I know all of the warnings about grad med etc, but in the end I decided to go to uni this year and do a life science degree. This is because my life was very in flux through sixth form, which I think contributed to a huge amount of indecisiveness and worrying about my future, I do not think this would've improved with another year at home, secondly my home life isn't great and I was really keen to leave for uni, and finally I genuinely love biology and did not mind studying that (and related subjects). My thinking was essentially "I have no idea if I eventually want to do medicine, but for now I'm happy to do this"

Now 5 weeks into my Bsc Biology, I won't say I regret that decision, because I am so happy where I am. I love all my flatmates and friends, I love what I'm learning, I love my city, and I know I made the right decision with regards to my mental health. Staying in my home situation to resit and reapply would not have been good for me, here I am happier than I have ever been. Having said that, as time goes on I'm more sure that I do in fact want more than just biology, and that I want to pursue medicine.

Of course though, it is too late to sit the UCAT or BMAT for this year. Which is kind of where my dilemma is. If I could apply this year I probably would resit and reapply, but that is not an option. I see these two routes at the moment:

1) Drop out and do whatever this year (2022-2023) and resit my a-levels. Then sit UCAT in 2023 summer for standard entry in 2024.

2) Continue with my biology degree, put my all into it, and simultaneously be thinking about a grad med application ( in terms of work experience and UCAT/GAMSAT etc), Apply in 3rd year (oct 2024) for entry into grad med in 2025.

Time wise (if I were to get into both first time), both routes are the same, would graduate both in 2029. But of course grad med is much more competitive and would likely take longer to get a place if at all. Financially of course I'd be better off with the first route. But I guess my concern around that is not really quantifiable, as it's all mental. Route 1, requires me to drop out of a situation I'm happy in, to return home and basically work full time and do a-levels for 2 more years, with the hope of getting into undergrad medicine first time. And considering how indecisive I've been in the past, I'm worried I'll take this huge risk and halfway through end up having the same doubts I had in year 13. I'm leaning towards finishing my Bsc for these reasons, I'll be older, more mature, and hopefully more secure in my thinking and comfortable in my life. But the higher competition does concern me, and I don't know how I'd begin to fund undergrad as a grad. I've come on here, because I've received so much great advice in the past, and I'm well aware of the anti-grad-med-where-possible, attitude shared here.

Sorry this was so long, and if you got to the end thank you so much lol. If anyone has advice and input I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you x
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Salome.7256
I’m looking to apply for GEM medicine after doing Biomedical science at York. My A-levels are BBB, should I bother resitting them or will it not affect my application so much? I have tons of work experience and I have a 1st class degree but my Alevels are just a bit messed up cos I have struggling with mental health issues at the time which I’m still annoyed about lol. I just want the best chance of entry as I know GEM is extremely competitive
Thanks for any advice given

heyy

I did my undergrad at drama school and I have 2 A levels (BC) and a BTEC in non- science subjects .
I've managed to get interviews for all 4 of my choices this application cycle (not to say they will necessarily like me in person lol ).
Honestly from my experience so far A level grades are not an issue as long as you apply strategically, have a strong reason as to why you want to do medicine and have work experience. Just smash the UCAT and look into GAMSAT

sounds like you are more than qualified to apply, go for it
I’m a current GEM student and I have noticed a lot of people saying that GEM is harder to get into than standard medicine. I don’t feel that they are directly comparable and I’m not sure how true it is to say that one is harder than the other. The student demographics applying are very different.

For standard medicine, most people have been working towards their application in some form for several years. With that in mind, only the people that are very well prepared and expecting good grades are going to apply. There’s not a lot to differentiate the students who are applying, as they’re all top students. So they have to look at things like personal statements and work experience more.
for GEM the applicant demographic is really different. People may be coming straight from uni, a lot of people are working, some people have had a whole other career before they apply. I think for that reason, people apply to GEM with far less preparation than would be needed to get into a standard course which might make it look like competition ratios are higher. It’s easy to differentiate between GEM applicants, because there is a lot more variation between them. GAMSAT score and work experience can count for a lot when it comes to securing an interview. Personal statements and A levels are barely used at all. At interview, the best applicants really stand out for their insight, experiences and soft skills that are developed more from life experience than anywhere else.

I didn’t do a single science a level, so there’s no way I could have got in from school, but GEM was accessible. I had 5 unis I could have to applied to that accepted my background, but if you have science a levels there’s a lot more options. I focussed on GAMSAT, did some varied work experience and reflected a lot. That helped a lot when it came to interviews.

As a side note, GEM students are typically better regarded by clinicians. We are trusted more and given more responsibility earlier. Life experience can count for a lot.

Rather than approaching GEM vs standard medicine as being harder, just think about which is the better fit for your position in life. It would have been impossible for me to go standard route and for a lot of people without the right grades, it would be the same, but GEM can be much easier if you’ve got some life experience behind you.
Original post by GEMStudent94
I’m a current GEM student and I have noticed a lot of people saying that GEM is harder to get into than standard medicine. I don’t feel that they are directly comparable and I’m not sure how true it is to say that one is harder than the other. The student demographics applying are very different.

For standard medicine, most people have been working towards their application in some form for several years. With that in mind, only the people that are very well prepared and expecting good grades are going to apply. There’s not a lot to differentiate the students who are applying, as they’re all top students. So they have to look at things like personal statements and work experience more.
for GEM the applicant demographic is really different. People may be coming straight from uni, a lot of people are working, some people have had a whole other career before they apply. I think for that reason, people apply to GEM with far less preparation than would be needed to get into a standard course which might make it look like competition ratios are higher. It’s easy to differentiate between GEM applicants, because there is a lot more variation between them. GAMSAT score and work experience can count for a lot when it comes to securing an interview. Personal statements and A levels are barely used at all. At interview, the best applicants really stand out for their insight, experiences and soft skills that are developed more from life experience than anywhere else.

I didn’t do a single science a level, so there’s no way I could have got in from school, but GEM was accessible. I had 5 unis I could have to applied to that accepted my background, but if you have science a levels there’s a lot more options. I focussed on GAMSAT, did some varied work experience and reflected a lot. That helped a lot when it came to interviews.

As a side note, GEM students are typically better regarded by clinicians. We are trusted more and given more responsibility earlier. Life experience can count for a lot.

Rather than approaching GEM vs standard medicine as being harder, just think about which is the better fit for your position in life. It would have been impossible for me to go standard route and for a lot of people without the right grades, it would be the same, but GEM can be much easier if you’ve got some life experience behind you.

hi! I am a 1st-year biomedical science student and aspiring to study GEM. How can I prepare well enough to get into it? What sort of work experience do I need? How can I prepare for the UCAT?

Can you please tell me what was your experience with applying to GEM?
Original post by Mabellax
hi! I am a 1st-year biomedical science student and aspiring to study GEM. How can I prepare well enough to get into it? What sort of work experience do I need? How can I prepare for the UCAT?

Can you please tell me what was your experience with applying to GEM?

It’s great that you’re planning ahead. In your situation, I would approach a few local GP practices and see if you can have a regular shadowing placement with them or if they would have you for a few days in one of your holidays. Try to get a shadowing experience in a hospital as well. There’s usually standard routes to apply for these, but you may be able to get the opportunity by reaching out to individual members of staff (if your uni has a medical school, consider approaching staff with connections to the medical school - you should be able to find their contacts on your uni website). If you have any personal connections in medicine, make use of them. Voluntary work is also good. A lot of people do St John Ambulance (I did), but it’s not very hands-on a lot of the time, so something like volunteering in a care home may prove to be more valuable.
As you have lots of time, something that could really help you stand out, is if you get some work as a health care assistant. You can usually fit this in around your studies and it shows a lot of good things: you’re not afraid to get your hands dirty, you work as part of a team and you have incredibly good insight into working in healthcare, because you’ve actually done it. It would also give you a bit of extra money which is nice too.
For UCAT just use the books and if you’re slow at reading, use some speed reading software to help you get faster. In both GAMSAT and UCAT being slow at reading can hold you back.

I actually didn’t get into GEM first time. With hindsight, I wasn’t very well prepared. I had work experience in a top specialist hospital, but that ultimately didn’t give me insight into the rest of the NHS with all its funding problems. I got experience in a district hospital with a lot of problems and I had much better insight after that. It’s good to see the mistakes that were made and to think about why they were made and the effect on the patient.

For work experience, keep a reflective diary every day where you write about the cases you saw or any interesting conversations you had. You can read this again just before your interview and everything will be fresh in your mind.

As you have a science background, I’d definitely recommend considering taking the GAMSAT. It’s a big exam, but it’s never too early to start preparing for that, so have a look into it and what it involves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending