The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King’s College London entry requirements

Hi I have an offer for Kings for BBB, will I still get in if I get ABC? or even AAC? Basically how lenient are they with missing an offer
If you miss the offer you won't get a place. It's simple. They give out more offers than there are places on the course as they expect a few people to not achieve their offers. So no they are not lenient.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by scarlettstar6
Hi I have an offer for Kings for BBB, will I still get in if I get ABC? or even AAC? Basically how lenient are they with missing an offer

Hello, thank you for your question.

While I neither work nor study at King's College, based on my experience of working for University Admissions, I would say that AAC or ABC would be fine, as long as it is not specified that you must score a minimum grade of B in any of the subjects. AAC is equivalent to ABB and hence it is one grade above what you are expected to achieve. ABC is equivalent to BBB, so that should be enough as well. However, as I already mentioned, do make sure to check the specifics of your offer and whether you are asked for a minimum grade of B in any of the subject/s.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad)
(edited 3 years ago)
Not necessarily. An offer of BBB could be construed by the uni as being "three A-levels offered, with no grade less than a B" - which ABC does not meet. University admissions staff don't "average" A-levels like that in general, unlike what the above suggests. They could reject you on results day if you got ABC, or AAC while your offer was BBB; whether they would is another question entirely, but it would be up to the uni entirely if they wanted to take you with those grades or not, whereas if you got BBB (or ABB, or AAB, etc, etc) they would be required to take you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Caz1234567
If you miss the offer you won't get a place.

All Unis will accept some applicants as 'near miss' - problem is that you can never predict this in advance, and no-one will have a clue at this stage which subjects, how many places and what grades they might accept. Therefore there is an element of risk - depends on how badly you want to go to KCL and what your Insurance is. Only you can judge this one.
Basically they're more likely to reject you for not getting the grades than accept you.
Reply 6
I don’t know how helpful this may be as I will be a mature student. I got BBC in my A levels. All creative subjects and an A at AS in an academic subject. I got an unconditional offer from King’s a week after my interview. Granted, I applied for mental health nursing, however I was also quite concerned about applying in general as I didn’t believe I had a chance. If you really want to go to King’s and worst case scenario you can’t this year, why not try work experience in your chosen field or in a field that requires skills transferable to what you want to study?
Original post by Listix.
I don’t know how helpful this may be as I will be a mature student. I got BBC in my A levels. All creative subjects and an A at AS in an academic subject. I got an unconditional offer from King’s a week after my interview. Granted, I applied for mental health nursing, however I was also quite concerned about applying in general as I didn’t believe I had a chance. If you really want to go to King’s and worst case scenario you can’t this year, why not try work experience in your chosen field or in a field that requires skills transferable to what you want to study?

I don’t really want to take a gap year. Kings have given me quite a reduced offer (the course is originally AAB or AAA I believe) so BBB is easy in comparison. I really want to go but I’m worried I won’t get a B in one of my subjects!! But I know I’ll get higher than a B in at least one of the other two- just stressing rn really !!
Reply 8
I don’t really want to take a gap year. Kings have given me quite a reduced offer (the course is originally AAB or AAA I believe) so BBB is easy in comparison. I really want to go but I’m worried I won’t get a B in one of my subjects!! But I know I’ll get higher than a B in at least one of the other two- just stressing rn really !!

So for my course it required BBB as well. But I had the equivalent in UCAS points although I know they say that the equivalent doesn’t mean anything, you just have to get the grades. When are your exams? A couple of months? And what has given you the impression you won’t meet the grades? Your predicted grades?
Original post by Listix.
So for my course it required BBB as well. But I had the equivalent in UCAS points although I know they say that the equivalent doesn’t mean anything, you just have to get the grades. When are your exams? A couple of months? And what has given you the impression you won’t meet the grades? Your predicted grades?

My predicted grades are AAB but I just don’t know about that B in maths because it’s such a hit or miss subject for me. My alevels are taking the form of a series of little exams over the next few months and the first exam just went really badly for me and I doubt I even got a C. I’m just working out how the turns would table if I ended up missing the grade for maths but getting a better grade in one of my other subjects.
My predicted grades are AAB but I just don’t know about that B in maths because it’s such a hit or miss subject for me. My alevels are taking the form of a series of little exams over the next few months and the first exam just went really badly for me and I doubt I even got a C. I’m just working out how the turns would table if I ended up missing the grade for maths but getting a better grade in one of my other subjects.

I appreciate that can be off putting. But while I’m attempting not to sound like a broken record as I have no doubt you’ll have heard all of this before.
We often tend to focus on the negative and forget the positive, so for example i focused on the negative after I showed up for my gcse physics exam and realised it was actually my written French exam. I was convinced I’d fail. I mean, what would I be using my calculator or geometry set for in a French exam... However I still got better than predicted. Sometimes you really have to believe in yourself. Give yourself the best chance to succeed, ask questions when you’re unsure and KEEP asking until you totally understand. But also remember your mind is like a sponge during your formative years, and you’d be surprised how much knowledge you retain and can call upon when it’s essential.
And lastly, have faith in yourself, but don’t pressure yourself. The societal, governmental and environmental pressures to have a time frame regarding education affect everybody in their final year of schooling prior to higher education. But please, don’t stress, this isn’t the be all and end all. There are always options. Do your best but not to the detriment of your health.
Also, I realise we’re talking A levels and not GCSE’s or the equivalent.
(edited 3 years ago)

were you predicted ABB?

Quick Reply

Latest