The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

New Medlock vs Ocean vs Victoria Vs Student Village

I have to apply to private accomodation cos i was too late for mmu halls.
Apart from Medlock these are all roughly the same price, and im kind of favouring student village just bcos evryones said its a lot of fun, but it looks a bit dingy and apparently the kitchens are a bit poor for windows etc.

The other thing is i want to be as much on campus (all saints) as possible. if anyones got any insight/experience of any of these it wld b much appreciated.
Reply 1
New Medlock is across the road from Student village and its very expensive but nice to live in. Student village is much more laid back and sociable but its nothing spectecular to look at, its basic, but its worth the money. The kitchens have no windows. You don't really notice though.

Student village is 2 min walk from all saints.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
im stayin in new medlock - its across the road, but looks alot nicer than student village, its ENSUITE!
as the guy above me said... student village is a 2 min walk... as is new medlock
personally, id go for new med. just cause im there and it looks nice - we even have a court yard with a bbq :smile:
Reply 3
im stayin in new medlock - its across the road, but looks alot nicer than student village, its ENSUITE!
as the guy above me said... student village is a 2 min walk... as is new medlock
personally, id go for new med. just cause im there and it looks nice - we even have a court yard with a bbq :smile:
Having stayed in New Medlock and Student Village I can assure you NMH is better!

I honestly didn't mind MSV that much when I was there but being at NMH made me realise how poor it was. Unless you have a kitchen diner, which I imagine are now sold out, you will have no communal space. I remember my room there was used as the lounge which wasn't ideal as the room wasn't that big. There are no windows in the kitchen and the kitchen itself i small compared to NMH.

The social aspect of NMH is far, far better. You'll often find people sitting outside on the benches having a bbq or drinking before a night out so get chatting! The rooms are much of a muchness although you can get ensuite if you like. The lounge makes a massive difference in all honesty.

Another problem with MSV is the smell. Lack of windows around the place means it often gets quite stuffy and smells are hard to get rid of. Not good if you're near a refuse chute.
Reply 5
I am in exactly the same situation, my man met halls expired because i was away, so i have to go private accomodation!
I am so stuck!
basically my campus is at hollings, is that far away from new medlock? i dont mind getting buses etc.

...i seem to be swaying more for new medlock now.
i really want somewhere social and ensuite.

ahh x x
Reply 6
Bastards arent they!ridiculous system, they should ring you or pigeon post you or something. anyway thanks very much, im going for medlock!forum success!
Reply 7
ill see ya there :smile:
Reply 8
fraggle_rock
Having stayed in New Medlock and Student Village I can assure you NMH is better!

I honestly didn't mind MSV that much when I was there but being at NMH made me realise how poor it was. Unless you have a kitchen diner, which I imagine are now sold out, you will have no communal space. I remember my room there was used as the lounge which wasn't ideal as the room wasn't that big. There are no windows in the kitchen and the kitchen itself i small compared to NMH.

The social aspect of NMH is far, far better. You'll often find people sitting outside on the benches having a bbq or drinking before a night out so get chatting! The rooms are much of a muchness although you can get ensuite if you like. The lounge makes a massive difference in all honesty.

Another problem with MSV is the smell. Lack of windows around the place means it often gets quite stuffy and smells are hard to get rid of. Not good if you're near a refuse chute.

I lived near the refuse chute, the block of flats next, didn't really notice it though.

The lack of windows in the kitchen is awful when you cook fish.

Anyway if you want ensuit and somewhere with a communal place dont go to MSV. I don't mind not having either of those because I didn't use the communal area in the last place I lived so it didn't bother me at all.
Alicia_
I am in exactly the same situation, my man met halls expired because i was away, so i have to go private accomodation!
I am so stuck!
basically my campus is at hollings, is that far away from new medlock? i dont mind getting buses etc.

...i seem to be swaying more for new medlock now.
i really want somewhere social and ensuite.

ahh x x

There's MSV in Rusholme, really close to Hollings. It's ensuite as well and £78 a week :smile:
Xx Tomásíona - Mháire xX
There's MSV in Rusholme, really close to Hollings. It's ensuite as well and £78 a week :smile:

Sorry to be picky, but it's £76 :smile:
Friendly_cow
Sorry to be picky, but it's £76 :smile:

Heh, I haven't been in Manchester for a while. I thought I seen it advertised for £78. Ah well.
Reply 12
Does New medlock house have a motorway right next to it?
if so, is it noisy etc??
Depending on which side you're on you might have a view of the mancunian way from your window. It's not noisy though.
Reply 14
I have a view of a wall....
but its on the side nearest nandos :P
Reply 15
fraggle_rock
Depending on which side you're on you might have a view of the mancunian way from your window. It's not noisy though.

okk thanks, sorry one more question, how far a walk/bus is it to hollings?
i bet itll take me aages.

and i hope everyone is sociable and ready for a party!

x
Alicia_
okk thanks, sorry one more question, how far a walk/bus is it to hollings?
i bet itll take me aages.

and i hope everyone is sociable and ready for a party!

x

I dunno where Hollings is!
Reply 17
I live in Student Village for the first year and the sharing a bathroom and shower with two other guys and sharing the windowless kitchen was ok (it wasn't ideal but you live with it).

In my second year I moved to New Medlock House and the location is almost the same. I have now been in New Medlock for just under a year and am staying for my final year as well. New Medlock in my opinion is the best of the best and totally different to MSV. Some blocks of New Medlock are over looking to Mancunion Way which is why I choose F block, giving better views of the city and no traffic noise. It is well worth the money if your can get an en-suite.
Reply 18
ahh thats reassuring, does anyone have any idea of what D block is like??
Hi everyone, i lived at MSV last year and it felt like a prison the walls are thin, i lived in the basement and with not very nice people although i did meet some great ones too! I looked around most of the halls early to find the best ones and i found Parkway Gate which is brand new, next to New Medlock house and run by Unite, but its alot nicer then new med but still has all the great living space and everything. Its on there website, im moving down to Bristol now and have a room there, so if anyone wants to take over my contract they can do, as im looking for someone, its sold out aswell, so its a one off opportunity! Take a look on unites website!

Latest

Trending

Trending