The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering and Imperial

Is it really competetive to get into? I know that the minimum a-level's would likely need to be AAA, and i'm probably going to acheive AAAA in chemistry, physics, maths and further maths. Would that stand me a decent chance?

And, for anyone that's been to an interview or knows a bit more, are they really picky over your GCSE results or extra cirriculars etc.
Reply 1
Competitive yes, but then again you know your A Levels are competitive

Your GCSEs are fine and unless your extra curriculars are shop lifting then they arn't bothered.
Reply 2
Jooeee
I know that the minimum a-level's would likely need to be AAA, and i'm probably going to acheive AAAA in chemistry, physics, maths and further maths. Would that stand me a decent chance?

what do you think? Do you want a reassuring pat on the back, and a "it'll be ok"?

Jooeee
are they really picky over your GCSE results

..."GCSE's : A*A*A*A*AAAAAA (+ 0.5 A)"

few uni's are GCSE nazi's, but even if they were picky, I see no problem here.

Jooeee
extra cirriculars etc.

From what I've heard its purely academic these days.
Sorry to hijack the thread but what are the chances of getting in without further maths?

i know from searching some people get in without it but roughly speaking is anybody able to give me an idea of how important further maths is when trying to get a place on a chemical engineering course at the top unis.

thanks.
Reply 4
I want to apply for chemical engineering too... but I'm not doing further maths :s-smilie:
Reply 5
RestrictedAccess
Sorry to hijack the thread but what are the chances of getting in without further maths?

i know from searching some people get in without it but roughly speaking is anybody able to give me an idea of how important further maths is when trying to get a place on a chemical engineering course at the top unis.

thanks.

Handy but not a requirement.
So say you were trying to get into cambridge or imperial would you say that due to the lack of further maths they would be requesting an A* for maths at a-level? Also i know its quite a long way away yet, but for cheical engineering at cambridge would you go through the natsci or eng route, as without further maths you wouldnt stand much of a chance, and along the natsci route you face even more intense competition from all the other natsci guys that have like 11A*s at gcse's...my grades are in the spolier below btw.

Thanks
Reply 7
I'm starting Chem Eng at Imperial this October, I got in with 3A's in Maths, Chemistry & Physics. Further Maths is not a requirement, but obviously it would be good anyway since the 1st year of course involves some 'further maths', i'm confident the admissions tutors would look favourably upon it though :wink:. I don't know how picky they are about GCSE results, mine were a mix of A* and As. Extra-curriculars are always a nice thing to have on your personal statement, but the way they see it.. they want to know if you can cope with their course, which is very work-intensive... so naturally I think they'd be more interested in your academic profile, extra-currics only formed like 5 mins of my interview. As for competitiveness there's over 6 applicants per place, I don't know how many are rejected after interview but I doubt it's many, nor do I know how many offers they give out.

You should address these questions to the admissions tutor :p:.
Reply 8
I got a place for that course for 08 entry, my gcses aint exactly all As, i have 1 A*, 2As and 5Bs and 3Cs and i got offered a place so i dont think they are too strict. As far as im concerned the interview wasnt too bad, they did ask my some questions from a level chemistry but nothing super intense.

Hope this helps
Reply 9
I got 5a's and 7b's for my gcse's. Do you think i still can study chemical engineering with these grades???
Reply 10
are these predicted grades enough for me to get into Imperial for chemical engineering. If i do get these grades will they be al right. here are my grades:
biology-a*
chemistry-a*
physics-a*
maths-a*
computer science-a*
Business studies-a*
Religious studies-a
History-b
French-b
English language-b
English literature-b
Reply 11
Original post by ICL
are these predicted grades enough for me to get into Imperial for chemical engineering. If i do get these grades will they be al right. here are my grades:
biology-a*
chemistry-a*
physics-a*
maths-a*
computer science-a*
Business studies-a*
Religious studies-a
History-b
French-b
English language-b
English literature-b

wow 11 A Levels with six A*s. Yeah you should be fine with that!

Quick Reply

Latest