The Student Room Group

chem eng

is taking further maths really necessary for chemical engineering? if i were to drop it by the end of year 12 and only take chem, physics and maths, will this lower my chances of getting into universities? (im planning to apply to imperial, UoM, birmingham, edinburgh, newcastle/bath)
Original post by adeline.g
is taking further maths really necessary for chemical engineering? if i were to drop it by the end of year 12 and only take chem, physics and maths, will this lower my chances of getting into universities? (im planning to apply to imperial, UoM, birmingham, edinburgh, newcastle/bath)

No, FM is not necessary. Also, not taking it wouldn’t put you at a disadvantage (But for imperial, it could be easier to get in as if you take 4, your grade requirement goes from A*A*A* to A*A*AA, and you would probably perform better on the ESAT).
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by adeline.g

Hi @adeline.g

Usually further maths isn't required but it depends on the university so I would recommend doing some research about the entry requirements for chemical engineering at the universities you have listed before dropping it.

Here at Lancaster University, the required A-level subjects are Mathematics and a Physical Science: Chemistry, Physics or Biology with ABB for BEng & AAA for MEng variation of Chemical Engineering.

Hope this helps!
Izzy (Lancaster University Engineering Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest