The Student Room Group

What area should i do work experience in?

Hi :smile: Well, i don't know whether i should do work experience or not, because i really can't make up my mind what course i want to do at university. As, if i was to do some medicine w.e would it not be a waste of time if i decided to go into dentistry after? or, if i did pharmacy w.e and decided to go into medicine after? etc. i want to go into either Medicine, Dentistry or Pharmacy, but not sure which. And time is running out and it's also difficult in getting w.e. So, what area should i do work experience in ? thanks for any replies. :biggrin:
Reply 1
Just get Work experience in a hospital. Cant remember the name of it but there are departments to do with teeth there so you could ask for a day there and maybe do another 4 days in other places. I dont think its that important really you just need some kind of work experience preferably ina hospital or caring role
Isn't the idea of work experience finding out if you like it or not?
What about in a chemist, an old peoples' home (caring role), day centre for children
Reply 4
just try to get general hospital work exp. You could go round and see pharmacy, maxillo facial and general stuff so you woul dhave something no matter what you choose.
But it would be useful to get some work exp in each area specifically, to decide which career you want, so go to a chemist and dentist as well
Reply 5
For all of those courses some volunteering would look good and it is essential for medicine so I was recommend getting in touch with some old peoples homes and seeing if you can volunteer there. As far as I know you don't really need any work experience for pharmacy. Just try and organise one week in a hospital/GP for medicine and one week with a dentist and see which one you like the most. Then you can organise further work experiences related to that field.
Reply 6
im so academic
What about in a chemist, an old peoples' home (caring role), day centre for children
None of that's work experience, how the **** do you find out about a medical career by serving tea to gerries?
Reply 7
Renal
None of that's work experience, how the **** do you find out about a medical career by serving tea to gerries?

According to the universities I went to open days for volunteering in a caring environment teaches you more about whether you are suited to a career in medicine than watching doctors for a week. I'd be inclined to agree; I have learnt much more during voluntary work in A&E/care home than I did on my work experience with a GP. I can't comment on whether hospital work experience is useful as I'm doing some for the first time next week.
Reply 8
x.beth.x
According to the universities I went to open days for volunteering in a caring environment teaches you more about whether you are suited to a career in medicine than watching doctors for a week. I'd be inclined to agree; I have learnt much more during voluntary work in A&E/care home than I did on my work experience with a GP. I can't comment on whether hospital work experience is useful as I'm doing some for the first time next week.
The OP wants, needs infact, work experience.

While I did very little specific work experience I did have the required knowledge and appreciation of the nash, medical careers and junior doctors working conditions.

Having the required knowledge and appreciation of caring, illness and death is something else as is having some general life experience and that this can help you discover if medicine is something you could do, but I don't think that you can judge this without knowledge of how that 'caring' is applied.
Reply 9
LittleMissTwinkle
Hi :smile: Well, i don't know whether i should do work experience or not, because i really can't make up my mind what course i want to do at university. As, if i was to do some medicine w.e would it not be a waste of time if i decided to go into dentistry after? or, if i did pharmacy w.e and decided to go into medicine after? etc. i want to go into either Medicine, Dentistry or Pharmacy, but not sure which. And time is running out and it's also difficult in getting w.e. So, what area should i do work experience in ? thanks for any replies. :biggrin:

You've only just finished your GCSEs, you still have over a year left! Go do some hospital WE and that will give you an idea of whether or not medicine is for you.

Latest

Trending

Trending