The Student Room Group

Anyone do a CS Foundation year?

I am 21 and I screwed up my A Levels and I am trying to figure out if its worth it to do a foundation year in CS to then go into year 1 of the course after that.. its like another 9k and another year of my life so I am really not sure if it's worth it or not but I don't really have many other options
Reply 1
Original post by MelonHeadSeb
I am 21 and I screwed up my A Levels and I am trying to figure out if its worth it to do a foundation year in CS to then go into year 1 of the course after that.. its like another 9k and another year of my life so I am really not sure if it's worth it or not but I don't really have many other options

Hey, I did a Computer Science foundation degree - in my opinion, it was worth it.

I learned a new programming language (C/C++), learned how to write reports and do presentation work and create a project from scratch (which was good practice for a dissertation as we got to have a look at actual third-year final project reports and essentially create a final individual project of our own).

If you've done Computer Science at A level probably there's a lot of redundancy in the first semester, so you might find it boring. As for me, I never did Computer Science (was always an Art person) so I found it to be very helpful learning the basics from scratch. From semester two it will start to pick up and get more difficult.

Either way, I personally recommend doing a foundation degree! You get to see if you actually like the course, and will meet new people. I'm still friends with people from the foundation year and it's been nice having a group of us who went through foundation year together, it's like having a community of your own.

I think people who went through foundation year perform better later on, as we are used to the stress of handing in things last minute (not encouraging you to do this :wink2:), running around to find a printer haha so there's definitely an advantage. You will be better equipped to handle things compared to a fresher 1st year. I don't feel like I've wasted my money at all :cute:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending