The Student Room Group

NHS Job Taking AGES To Start...

I received a conditional offer of employment in the beginning of June this year to be an Apprentice Healthcare Support Worker at a hospital. My DBS check came back clear, I provided all the paperwork for my ID check, my references are completed and I also attended an occupational health appointment at the end of June to have my Hepatitis vaccination. I have no health problems that would prevent me from working.

After my OH appointment, I emailed the HR department asking when my start date will be and which ward I will be assigned to. They replied saying that all of my pre-employment checks are complete and they're just waiting for my ward allocation before they can give me a start date. It has now been nearly a month and I have heard nothing. I did receive an email in June saying that there is delay with my ward allocation due to Coronavirus, as the hospital was affected by Covid-19.

I was just wondering if it is normal to be waiting ages for a start date in the NHS after your pre-employment checks have been completed? I'm thinking of emailing HR again but in their last email, they said they'll let me know as soon as they hear anything, so idk what to do...
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
I received a conditional offer of employment in the beginning of June this year to be an Apprentice Healthcare Support Worker at a hospital. My DBS check came back clear, I provided all the paperwork for my ID check, my references are completed and I also attended an occupational health appointment at the end of June to have my Hepatitis vaccination. I have no health problems that would prevent me from working.

After my OH appointment, I emailed the HR department asking when my start date will be and which ward I will be assigned to. They replied saying that all of my pre-employment checks are complete and they're just waiting for my ward allocation before they can give me a start date. It has now been nearly a month and I have heard nothing. I did receive an email in June saying that there is delay with my ward allocation due to Coronavirus, as the hospital was affected by Covid-19.

I was just wondering if it is normal to be waiting ages for a start date in the NHS after your pre-employment checks have been completed? I'm thinking of emailing HR again but in their last email, they said they'll let me know as soon as they hear anything, so idk what to do...

Suggest not to panic over it as they are busy remember, most of NHS services throughout UK are starting to get back to some sort of normality and it takes time to reset things into place .

Have you done NMC checks as those are the ones who take time to complete the paperwork and decide if you are able to work as a nurse/ healthcare worker.

I wouldn't keep contacting them lots of times as to give them time and perhaps say phone them up in few days or so and ask for a update but you can send a email as well as phoning them and hopefully you will get a dates to start.

Sometimes they start people at beginning of a month but others starts anytime.
I know you keen to start but patience is also required okay .
Welcome to the NHS where it takes forever for anything simple to be done.

Recruitment can move very slowly, it’s a busy time for them at the moment with black Wednesday just round the corner, they’ll be processing loads of junior doctors to get them started.
Reply 3
Hiya, how long did it eventually take until your first day? I'm currently going through this just now.
Reply 4
I am going through the same thing I have been waiting for 3 months now still nothing
Reply 5
I've now got a start date :smile: which from my interview to start will be 4months
Reply 6
I waiting for allocation too but there a delay
Reply 7
I'm going though same rn there a delay with allocation team
Reply 8
Original post by NB9265
I've now got a start date :smile: which from my interview to start will be 4months

Lucky I'm waiting bc there a delay with allocation team sigh 😕

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending