The Student Room Group

Student finance - mature student - second degree - nursing

Where to start?!

41 almost, first degree and post graduate in law, looking to move into nursing. Married, two young children, and don’t know where to start! I need some certainty on my position before I can take the leap as have the children, childcare and financial responsibilities but am so worried and don’t know where to start.

1. Husband earns 55k (loaded up with debt though) - I would need drop my job to study and pick up bank shifts after 6 months. On SFE I see it estimates 6k approx maintenance and tuition in full. Plus the NHS4/5k plus the 2k NHS bursary for those with dependents (or whatever it is called). So circa 11/12k p/a. By my reading at this early stage there is no entitlement to childcare help as my husbands “household income”. Am I correct in this? I read if household income for over 2 children is around 27/28k there is no entitlement. My childcare costs at present working doe 3 days and with the free hours entitlement - stretched to 22 hours a week - child aged 3 now - still costs me £500 a month and my other (6) in wrap around care weekly costs me £200 a month. I can’t live on the maintenance - there is no way - and my husband will not support me. Am I missing something? Is there any form of childcare help? There are also half terms and placement times when further costs will be incurred. I’m at a loss as to how it is possible. If my husband wasn’t in his own financial position maybe.
Hi there,

The best thing to do in this situation is to call Student Finance and also the NHS Learning Support Fund teams, and discuss this with them, as they’ll be able to advise more knowing your personal circumstances.

Also check the GOV.UK website:
https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/support-while-you-study

Good luck

Nat
LJMU Student Nurse and Ambassador
Thank you Nat. I have tried and was provided to links to what I have already read. Maybe I will try again - from what I have read though it is the 5k and 2k NhS bursaries and the 5/6k SLC entitlement. I do want to end by saying I am not at all being ungrateful here or unappreciative of the help we can and do get in this country and for the availability of bursaries! I just need know I can survive on the minimum and that bank work would be do able after 6 months of study.

Actually, that would be a good question too - bank work for new student nurses. Has anyone had experience of this and how have they found it? I love the idea of getting experience on site as soon as possible, plus some pocket money so to speak, but the experience notably.
Original post by Seeseeseeagain
Thank you Nat. I have tried and was provided to links to what I have already read. Maybe I will try again - from what I have read though it is the 5k and 2k NhS bursaries and the 5/6k SLC entitlement. I do want to end by saying I am not at all being ungrateful here or unappreciative of the help we can and do get in this country and for the availability of bursaries! I just need know I can survive on the minimum and that bank work would be do able after 6 months of study.

Actually, that would be a good question too - bank work for new student nurses. Has anyone had experience of this and how have they found it? I love the idea of getting experience on site as soon as possible, plus some pocket money so to speak, but the experience notably.

That must be really frustrating, hopefully some people in a similar situation may be able to shed some light and give more tailored advice

Bank work is usually arranged via NHS Professionals, and can be signed off by someone from placement (I asked a Sister) and lots of students do this. You’ll be provided with training and will get more preference if you’re a student nurse.

I applied for additional funding from SFE and mine is just short of £12k a year. There is an option to do this at one of the last stages of applying. This is not including the £5k from the NHS LSF, however I private rent and have no children, so I can manage on my finances. I also work part-time to top up my money, some universities work with Unitemps, and provide temporary work for students alongside their studies, but most student nurses opt to work on the bank in a hospital

Fingers crossed everything gets sorted for you

Nat
Original post by LJMUStudentReps

That must be really frustrating, hopefully some people in a similar situation may be able to shed some light and give more tailored advice

Bank work is usually arranged via NHS Professionals, and can be signed off by someone from placement (I asked a Sister) and lots of students do this. You’ll be provided with training and will get more preference if you’re a student nurse.

I applied for additional funding from SFE and mine is just short of £12k a year. There is an option to do this at one of the last stages of applying. This is not including the £5k from the NHS LSF, however I private rent and have no children, so I can manage on my finances. I also work part-time to top up my money, some universities work with Unitemps, and provide temporary work for students alongside their studies, but most student nurses opt to work on the bank in a hospital

Fingers crossed everything gets sorted for you

Nat

Life is expensive so I do wonder how a lot of people do it even without kids! So this additional funding from SLC - I guess it’s household income/parents income assessed? I don’t anticipate I’d be entitled to more - on paper it looks like I should have all I need but the detail of it is so not straight forward! Definitely as easy as when I studied 15 odd years ago with no kids!

New to this website sorry - have I put my post in the right place? Can people see/search and find it?
Original post by Seeseeseeagain

Life is expensive so I do wonder how a lot of people do it even without kids! So this additional funding from SLC - I guess it’s household income/parents income assessed? I don’t anticipate I’d be entitled to more - on paper it looks like I should have all I need but the detail of it is so not straight forward! Definitely as easy as when I studied 15 odd years ago with no kids!

New to this website sorry - have I put my post in the right place? Can people see/search and find it?

It will be assessed on an individual basis as far as I can remember, I was assessed on my own income due to being over the age of 25

And yes, other people can view and comment on this ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending