The Student Room Group

careers with bursary

Hi, so my question is that what career opportunities are out there that also offer bursary during training. For instance, teaching offer bursary depending on the subject and some social work programmes too like Frontline and think ahead. I work in a school at the moment and do not like to be a teacher so I decided to look into Frontline, after a rigorous application and interview process I was accepted only to last minute be informed that the council I was allocated was suddenly not taking anymore students, so they have deferred me for next year. I am at a stage in my life where I eagerly want to start a career and have been applying to different jobs but it is very competitive out there. I think the best way is through a programme and as I am a single mum only with a bursary would I be able to train in a certain career.
Most NHS degrees offer the Learning Support Fund (put that term into google to find the website) which offers a £5000 grant on top of your student loans, as well extra finance for parents.
Reply 2
Original post by Mev385
Hi, so my question is that what career opportunities are out there that also offer bursary during training. For instance, teaching offer bursary depending on the subject and some social work programmes too like Frontline and think ahead. I work in a school at the moment and do not like to be a teacher so I decided to look into Frontline, after a rigorous application and interview process I was accepted only to last minute be informed that the council I was allocated was suddenly not taking anymore students, so they have deferred me for next year. I am at a stage in my life where I eagerly want to start a career and have been applying to different jobs but it is very competitive out there. I think the best way is through a programme and as I am a single mum only with a bursary would I be able to train in a certain career.

Do you have a degree? If not, then university might be an option for you. The student finance is quite generous regarding childcare, covering the vast majority of any childcare costs you might have. Given you are investing in yourself, do not see the student loan as a loan (it isn't), but as a graduate tax that can enable you to gain higher levels of employment.

However, I can't help feel you are looking at this the wrong way around. Rather than ask the question "what options pay me to apply and the end job will do whether I like it or not", ask yourself what you enjoy doing and will thrive at in a place of work? Then work backwards and work out how you can achieve that goal. It might be hard at first, but will pay off in the long run because you will be doing something you enjoy.

This amazing website allows you to search jobs by preference of what you like and then gives details on how to become qualified.
https://careers.startprofile.com/page/home-page

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by mackers_ire
Most NHS degrees offer the Learning Support Fund (put that term into google to find the website) which offers a £5000 grant on top of your student loans, as well extra finance for parents.

NHS degrees include medicine degree?
Original post by cvcvcvcdxs
NHS degrees include medicine degree?

No, that was a somewhat misleading phrasing of it. The LSF is for allied health professions courses (e.g. nursing, radiography etc).

Medicine gets an NHS bursary for tuition fees and some contribution to maintenance for the final year of the degree (or 2 years if doing a 6 year course). The maintenance amount is very limited and counts against your maintenance loan entitlement so functionally it just means you get the same amount total, you just end up repaying slightly less in the long run.

I'd also note that for all degrees if you are entitled to SFE funding, the fact it's a "loan" is kind of a non-issue as most don't fully repay it and the amount is written off 40 years after you take it out (or when you reach state pension age, whichever happens first). Read here for more information on student loans and why the "debt" is not like other kinds of debt that might be taken on (and why it's effectively a graduate tax more than anything else in practice): https://www.gov.uk/government/news/8-things-you-should-know-about-your-student-loan--2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending