The Student Room Group

Muslims in Healthcare

Asalamu'alaykum wa'rahmatullaahi wa'barakatuhu,

I would like to pursue an apprenticeship as i don't want to take a loan out. I wear the niqab where It is hard for me to find opportunities but I am stuck between 2 but I need a good paying opportunity as I may be getting married soon.

1. Diagnostic Radiography Level 6 apprenticeship which it's through university and pays really well, however downside is I will have to move to another city and find a place to rent for 3 years as well as I am not allowed to wear the niqab for obvious reasons but a mask will be allowed but has to be taken down for identification purposes as well as patient to patient contact which I understand.

2. Pharmacy Technician Apprenticeship which is a level 3 - to become a Pharmacy Technician I will need to do the level 2 dispensary course first which will both take 3 years but it is equivalent to an A level and the pay as an apprentice as well as qualified is low but gets a little better when qualified. Here I won't have to move out my city but i will be allowed to wear an abaya and a mask.

So what should I go for, or any other recommendations would be helpful- jzakillah khair
Reply 1
I'd say go for option 2
it really depends on what you like doing.
You could teach at an Islamic school because they would allow you to wear your niqaab.
You could also do a job where you just work from home.
idk tho
I shouldn't be giving you advice because I'm in the same boat as you I don't even know what I'm gonna do myself.
Reply 2
Original post by tandoori potatoe
Asalamu'alaykum wa'rahmatullaahi wa'barakatuhu,

I would like to pursue an apprenticeship as i don't want to take a loan out. I wear the niqab where It is hard for me to find opportunities but I am stuck between 2 but I need a good paying opportunity as I may be getting married soon.

1. Diagnostic Radiography Level 6 apprenticeship which it's through university and pays really well, however downside is I will have to move to another city and find a place to rent for 3 years as well as I am not allowed to wear the niqab for obvious reasons but a mask will be allowed but has to be taken down for identification purposes as well as patient to patient contact which I understand.

2. Pharmacy Technician Apprenticeship which is a level 3 - to become a Pharmacy Technician I will need to do the level 2 dispensary course first which will both take 3 years but it is equivalent to an A level and the pay as an apprentice as well as qualified is low but gets a little better when qualified. Here I won't have to move out my city but i will be allowed to wear an abaya and a mask.

So what should I go for, or any other recommendations would be helpful- jzakillah khair

Wa 'alaykum as-salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu. Maybe you should reconsider if these options are even necessary in the first place, especially if they would compromise your hijaab. Given that you mentioned that you will get married soon, then I am sure that you would look for someone who would provide for you so that you wouldn't need to work. That being said, I am not aware of your situation such as if you're responsible for providing for anyone at the moment so I can't answer for sure. However, If you see it so be a necessity then the second option seems better as you wouldn't have to move out by yourself. If it is not truly a necessity then you should really reconsider if you need to take this route as it would involve compromising your religion to some extent, such as free mixing and the likes.
Original post by 0000007
I'd say go for option 2
You could teach at an Islamic school because they would allow you to wear your niqaab.
idk tho
I shouldn't be giving you advice because I'm in the same boat as you I don't even know what I'm gonna do myself.

Asalamu'alaykum wa'rahmatullaahi wa'barakatuhu, i was thinking a work from home job but I cannot find anything at all - eveything requires experience. Regarding teaching at an Islamic school - I've just started my aalimiyah course and is no where near enough to teach in a masjid and I don't feel I will be able to do a good job even to small children. I have thought about a childcare apprenticeship but then again it requires 2 steps, a level 3 then progess further. The thing is I enjoy pharmacy but I need something that will pay good and fund towards my marriage. In'Sha'Allah it will be made easy for us ameen
Original post by I7V
Wa 'alaykum as-salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu. Maybe you should reconsider if these options are even necessary in the first place, especially if they would compromise your hijaab. Given that you mentioned that you will get married soon, then I am sure that you would look for someone who would provide for you so that you wouldn't need to work. That being said, I am not aware of your situation such as if you're responsible for providing for anyone at the moment so I can't answer for sure. However, If you see it so be a necessity then the second option seems better as you wouldn't have to move out by yourself. If it is not truly a necessity then you should really reconsider if you need to take this route as it would involve compromising your religion to some extent, such as free mixing and the likes.

Jzakillah khair for awnsering - I will be the one providing as the potential spouse is not in the same county as I am in, therefore I will need to work and provide for them to get here. Which is why I am struggling as I need a good paying job that fit in Islamic guidelines. Do you think I should progess into a career like childcare by taking the apprenticeship route. Or should I just apply for jobs online like customer service jobs and have a job without an actual career?
Reply 5
Original post by 0000007
I'd say go for option 2
idk tho

Asalamu'alaykum wa'rahmatullaahi wa'barakatuhu, i was thinking a work from home job but I cannot find anything at all - eveything requires experience. Regarding teaching at an Islamic school - I've just started my aalimiyah course and is no where near enough to teach in a masjid and I don't feel I will be able to do a good job even to small children. I have thought about a childcare apprenticeship but then again it requires 2 steps, a level 3 then progess further. The thing is I enjoy pharmacy but I need something that will pay good and fund towards my marriage. In'Sha'Allah it will be made easy for us ameen

Wa alaykumusalaam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu
Do istikhara
And ask the people who are close to you for their advice so you can see the different options you have
I hope you have a blessed marriage and everything works out for you
InshaAllah
Aameen:smile:
Reply 6
Jzakillah khair for awnsering - I will be the one providing as the potential spouse is not in the same county as I am in, therefore I will need to work and provide for them to get here. Which is why I am struggling as I need a good paying job that fit in Islamic guidelines. Do you think I should progess into a career like childcare by taking the apprenticeship route. Or should I just apply for jobs online like customer service jobs and have a job without an actual career?

In that case, I do not know.

Why not just focus on the Alimiyyah? Are you doing it part time/full time or weekends?
Original post by 0000007

Wa alaykumusalaam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu
Do istikhara
And ask the people who are close to you for their advice so you can see the different options you have
I hope you have a blessed marriage and everything works out for you
InshaAllah
Aameen:smile:
Everyone around me would like me to attend univeristy and take a loan out which involves riba unfortunately.

Jzakillah khair for the advice.
Ameen, In'Sha'Allah it works out for us all ameen
Original post by Mubeenur786
Why not just focus on the Alimiyyah? Are you doing it part time/full time or weekends?

I am doing it part time at the moment also, it is not in an institution or an academy it Is in a house masjid where I am the only student but one masjid time. So unfortunately I am not able to commit to it full time as I mentioned before I need a paid working job to fund towards my marriage In'Sha'Allah
I am doing it part time at the moment also, it is not in an institution or an academy it Is in a house masjid where I am the only student but one masjid time. So unfortunately I am not able to commit to it full time as I mentioned before I need a paid working job to fund towards my marriage In'Sha'Allah

Do you really want a career career? Like does it have to be in health care?
Iv got a few options for you as I’m in a very similar situation.
Personally Iv chosen (as of rn anyway it might change by September lol) go uni and do Alimiyyah part time with a Saturday only job
1) the NHS have quite a few degree apprenticeships going rn. You could try apply to all of them
2) go to uni with a guaranteed bursary, this bursary will cover 60 percent of ur fees you just need to fund the other 40 which can easily be done with a weekend job.
3) work any part time job and do Alimiyyah full time
4) work a any normal full time job and do Alimiyyah part time (I know a few that are good and flexible)

There’s loads of options if ur into computing or ict or coding though.
Do you really want a career career? Like does it have to be in health care?
Iv got a few options for you as I’m in a very similar situation.
Personally Iv chosen (as of rn anyway it might change by September lol) go uni and do Alimiyyah part time with a Saturday only job
1) the NHS have quite a few degree apprenticeships going rn. You could try apply to all of them
2) go to uni with a guaranteed bursary, this bursary will cover 60 percent of ur fees you just need to fund the other 40 which can easily be done with a weekend job.
3) work any part time job and do Alimiyyah full time
4) work a any normal full time job and do Alimiyyah part time (I know a few that are good and flexible)

There’s loads of options if ur into computing or ict or coding though.

No I do not want a career career, I need money - be realistic, everything runs around money and you need a stable income to live a life, have a roof over your head and to feed yourself.

I will strictly not attend university as I mentioned I am doing everything correctly via islamic standards and I will not take a loan out.

Not possible, as i would have to take my niqab of which is kinda fine because i can wear mask and niqab isn't fardh and I am supporting patients. There is only a nursing one near me and I do not want to do adult nursing as it involves catherters unfortunately and if I chose radiography which was my initial option, it is far away like I mention and I will have to live there which I will not.

I don't think I want to risk it it may be forgiven when I pass but I don't want to risk it at all. I am guaranteed bursary due to the area I live in however with regarding a weekend job is isn't impossible but I would have to find one that allows me to wear my niqab. If you understand, once I've worn and started the niqab I do not want to take it off.

This is an option I am considering however, aalimah is not full time I will be the same for me in the evening as the place I do it, I am the only student and it's not possible for the masjid aunty to teach me for long hours.

Yes this one will work - please can you send me any Jobs you know that support this as well as my niqab if not then mask please.

Regarding coding and all - the rhing is I'm not doing what I enjoy, I will do sowmthing that pays well and then I'll have a look if I'll enjoy it

However, can i say - jzakillah khair and thank you so so much ukhti you have helped tremendously. Alhamdullilah
No I do not want a career career, I need money - be realistic, everything runs around money and you need a stable income to live a life, have a roof over your head and to feed yourself.

I will strictly not attend university as I mentioned I am doing everything correctly via islamic standards and I will not take a loan out.

Not possible, as i would have to take my niqab of which is kinda fine because i can wear mask and niqab isn't fardh and I am supporting patients. There is only a nursing one near me and I do not want to do adult nursing as it involves catherters unfortunately and if I chose radiography which was my initial option, it is far away like I mention and I will have to live there which I will not.

I don't think I want to risk it it may be forgiven when I pass but I don't want to risk it at all. I am guaranteed bursary due to the area I live in however with regarding a weekend job is isn't impossible but I would have to find one that allows me to wear my niqab. If you understand, once I've worn and started the niqab I do not want to take it off.

This is an option I am considering however, aalimah is not full time I will be the same for me in the evening as the place I do it, I am the only student and it's not possible for the masjid aunty to teach me for long hours.

Yes this one will work - please can you send me any Jobs you know that support this as well as my niqab if not then mask please.

Regarding coding and all - the rhing is I'm not doing what I enjoy, I will do sowmthing that pays well and then I'll have a look if I'll enjoy it

However, can i say - jzakillah khair and thank you so so much ukhti you have helped tremendously. Alhamdullilah
If you don’t mind me asking what city are u from?

As for the second option. Google : NHS LSF. you will get a £5000 bursary per year if u study one of them degrees. You can use this to pay for the tuition, yes there will be about £4000 remaining for you to pay but a weekend job can cover that, any job tbh most will allow niqab or mask at least even if it’s retail or customer service.

I think you should find a full time alimah class and work part time, that way In’sha’Allah you can begin teaching at a higher level etc

Standard full time jobs that allow you to wear niqab are there too, I can help you find any but I’d need to know where you are to see what’s local.

My messages don’t work but

Wa Alaykum Salam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa barakatuh
Khair inshallah.
What id recommend is keep searching for:
Health care :
Band 3 Nhs jobs on indeed. These usually don’t require degrees and you can work ur way up the nhs
Pharmacy technician apprenticeships
Optical assistant apprenticeships
Keep checking the gov apprenticeship website and use the keyword NHS
Also keep checking the nhs careers website
Other jobs -
Customer service assistant.
Retail assistant
Hmrc jobs
Civil service jobs
Places usualy hire around March April time. Jan and feb is usually very dry
Just find them on indeed keep looking and Ofc make dua. Allah is the one that provides Rizq.
Personally I work at primark every weekend which is funding my alimiyah and studies alhamdulillah.
My messages don’t work but

Wa Alaykum Salam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa barakatuh
Khair inshallah.
What id recommend is keep searching for:
Health care :
Band 3 Nhs jobs on indeed. These usually don’t require degrees and you can work ur way up the nhs
Pharmacy technician apprenticeships
Optical assistant apprenticeships
Keep checking the gov apprenticeship website and use the keyword NHS
Also keep checking the nhs careers website
Other jobs -
Customer service assistant.
Retail assistant
Hmrc jobs
Civil service jobs
Places usualy hire around March April time. Jan and feb is usually very dry
Just find them on indeed keep looking and Ofc make dua. Allah is the one that provides Rizq.
Personally I work at primark every weekend which is funding my alimiyah and studies alhamdulillah.
Jzakillah khair for this information ukhti - I have applied to primark but haven't gotten a reposnse just yet however, if I may ask - do you also wear the niqab and if so, how do you manage at primark, do you wear a mask or take it of?

I'm most likely able to start anything for June time ish so that's when I'm willing to start. The only thing I'm hesitant about is taking my niqab of, like i really do not want to which is why I have to be carefull about the jobs I choose, if its in the NHS, they've made it clear that there shouldn't be face coverings as patient contact well conversation etc as well as I want to wear abayas to work not like trouers and etc even if they are baggy

But anyway, thank you so so much - In'Sha'Allah I'll have a further look into it and may contact you in the future.

Ameen♡

But let me get this correct, band 3 NHS jobs will hire you even if you don't have a degree, like with GCSE's and A-Levels would be fine?
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending