The Student Room Group

How do I know computer science(degree) is for me?

Hi
I want to know how do I know if studying Computer science as a degree is for me?
Do I have to like programming?

What skills do I need?
For example good math skills
Original post by User_3012
Hi
I want to know how do I know if studying Computer science as a degree is for me?
Do I have to like programming?

What skills do I need?
For example good math skills

Look at the entry requirements for different universities that offer a computer science course at degree level.
Have you done a btec in computer science?
Have you done GCSE Information Technology?
Do you enjoy working with technology? If yes why?
Do you have background knowledge of programming vocabulary/ spreadsheets/ computer functions etc. ?
These are the types of questions you should ask yourself and then come to a conclusion.
Computer science is very different from just programming. It is called a science for a reason. It's also quite broad. You should have some maths skills but the amount you need depends on what you wanna do, if you are interested in things machine learning/ai/data science, robotics(the software side) then you will need a fair bit of maths, most they will teach you but a level maths is a must as a prerequisite , especially if you wanna go into the research side.
If you just wanna do software eng then it's usally not as much maths. But computer science is more about problem solving and programming is usually the language you express your problem solving skills in.
Yes, you should like programming, but the projects you make should be more complex, such as using complex algorithms, messing around with arduinos... As oppose to just doing something relatively repetitive like web development.
More general things that might give you more of an idea about problem solving are things like graph theory and discrete mathematics(which is different from the style of maths you are probably used to)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by thagirlhanna
Look at the entry requirements for different universities that offer a computer science course at degree level.
Have you done a btec in computer science?
Have you done GCSE Information Technology?
Do you enjoy working with technology? If yes why?
Do you have background knowledge of programming vocabulary/ spreadsheets/ computer functions etc. ?
These are the types of questions you should ask yourself and then come to a conclusion.

Have not done a BTEC in CS or a GCSE in informations technology

However I have done coding, but I have learnt it from YouTube on YouTube vids
I actually like coding, I find it interesting
Have not done a BTEC in CS or a GCSE in informations technology

However I have done coding, but I have learnt it from YouTube on YouTube vids
I actually like coding, I find it interesting

You could maybe do a foundation year since you don't have experience in CS.
I'm positive there are ways for you to get into a uni doing a CS degree despite your lack of experience :smile:
Reply 5
You could maybe do a foundation year since you don't have experience in CS.
I'm positive there are ways for you to get into a uni doing a CS degree despite your lack of experience :smile:

Yeah it’s possible
In fact you don’t even need coding experience to do a CS degree.
I’m just asking how can I know if this is the right degree for me?
Yeah it’s possible
In fact you don’t even need coding experience to do a CS degree.
I’m just asking how can I know if this is the right degree for me?

I think if you have a strong passion or just passion in general for CS then it is definitely right for you.
What career are you hoping to get into? Any preferences?
Reply 7
I think if you have a strong passion or just passion in general for CS then it is definitely right for you.
What career are you hoping to get into? Any preferences?

I don’t fully know but it is maybe a Aerospace engineer or a software engineer.
But I don’t know completely
Reply 8
I don’t fully know but it is maybe a Aerospace engineer or a software engineer.
But I don’t know completely

I am deciding between CS or engineering
But hard to decide

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending