The Student Room Group

need help ASAP please

So i received an offer from GSK for a degree apprenticeship in digital and technology solutions. What is better, computer science at loughborough university(i already have an offer), or GSK for a degree apprenticeship in DTS?
You might have had to make your decision already by now but if it was me I'd choose the apprenticeship. You will get a load of work experience and come out the other end with no debt and a good chance of having a job. But it depends on how much you want the university experience, it's not going to be the same at an apprenticeship and it's not really something you can ever get again.
Reply 2
Original post by Jakson123
You might have had to make your decision already by now but if it was me I'd choose the apprenticeship. You will get a load of work experience and come out the other end with no debt and a good chance of having a job. But it depends on how much you want the university experience, it's not going to be the same at an apprenticeship and it's not really something you can ever get again.

nah i havent made made my choice yet. Yh i am set on the degree apprenticeship, but i just wanted to ask some questions, will me going to herts uni for the apprenticeship affect my future? And also will a dts degree and not a standard comp sci degree affect my future?
I'm doing a degree apprenticeship and DTS as well with New Buckinghamshire university - never heard of them before but I don't think anyone will care where you got your degree when you've also got 3 or 4 years of experience of working for a company. Also good chance I expect that the company will take you on at the end so you won't have to be job hunting as soon as you finish your degree. A few years later people are definitely only going to care about your experience and not where your degree came from. Everyone knows GSK so that is going to be much more important than where you got your degree. Just make sure you get a first or a 2.1 - that's more important than where it's from.
Reply 4
Original post by Jakson123
I'm doing a degree apprenticeship and DTS as well with New Buckinghamshire university - never heard of them before but I don't think anyone will care where you got your degree when you've also got 3 or 4 years of experience of working for a company. Also good chance I expect that the company will take you on at the end so you won't have to be job hunting as soon as you finish your degree. A few years later people are definitely only going to care about your experience and not where your degree came from. Everyone knows GSK so that is going to be much more important than where you got your degree. Just make sure you get a first or a 2.1 - that's more important than where it's from.

alr thanks, and i also wanted to ask about the degree. Most grad jobs ask for a degree in the computer science field. Since we dont have a standard computer science degree and instead a DTS one, can we still apply to those jobs?
Original post by jake102:)
alr thanks, and i also wanted to ask about the degree. Most grad jobs ask for a degree in the computer science field. Since we dont have a standard computer science degree and instead a DTS one, can we still apply to those jobs?

I'm not an expert but I don't see why not. It's certainly 'in the computer science field'. I'm doing my degree apprenticeship with the Science and Technology Facilities Council, they do a lot of work with CERN, are going to be opening the National Centre for Quantum Computing there and do all sorts of cutting edge stuff - and I think (hopefully) getting involved with that will be more interesting and more beneficial to me than anything I could get at uni. Maybe it would be worth finding out as much as you can about what you'll be doing with GSK and making sure it's the sort of direction you want to go in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending