The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
mfm89
McCains convention speech was bloody awful, so hopefully he won't get as big a bump in the polls as Obama did. All he said was he was a war hero. 'I'm an American patriot, I'm an American patriot'
I was really impressed with his speech and thought it was very refreshing- which he could really use right now. As far as him being a patriot, his past just shows how dedicated he is to this country. I have no doubt that McCain will always do what he thinks is best for the United States, that being said I also think Bush did what he thought was best and look what happened there.

edit: also keep in mind that in 2000 when McCain lost to Bush his service record was hardly brought up at all and in fact most people were totally unaware of it. Some people thought that if more people knew about it then he would have defeated Bush. So maybe that is why they are pushing it at the convention.
Reply 61
DiscoPirate
Obama made a mistake by not selecting Hilary as his Vice president. Many Hilary supporters believed that Obama was a very bad candidate and he would have gained their support if he had chosen to include her.

that would have been such a mistake, clinton would have been a really divisive choice - and her mud-slinging at obama during the candidacy race would have raised serious, and very legitimate concerns, about the unity of that ticket. A lot of Obama supporters don't like Hilary enough that they might change candidate, and not enough Hilary supporters like Obama to justify that loss. It would have been an unwise move both strategically, and politically.

tbh, I think Obama will still win. If McCain had picked a better VP choice (like Olympia Snowe?), maybe not, I think people might catch onto the fact that McCain might just pop his clogs before his term's over and that a world run by President Palin would be nightmarish.

I hate republicans constant bumming of John McCain's past as a "war hero" - if you love that so much, why didn't you vote for Kerry?!
Reply 62
mfm89
The same way non-kkk white people know?

jerry springer :yep:
Because obama is black.

That's it.

Thats the sum total of why he won't win the US election.

Anything else is naivety.
DeSiFiEd
Revolution has been tried, it has been censored. Ron Paul would have been an ideal candidate, I didn't see the media give him a minute of airtime at all the past 2years.

I found how the media silence Ron Paul to be very weird and fishy indeed, I thought he would be an amazing candidate for the republican party.
I hate that patriot ****. He was a lieutenant in the marines, he flew a plane above Vietnam and dropped bombs from 20,000ft on an enemy with virtually no air defences while he had an ejector seat. While he is a brave man and an actual American patriot unlike Bush - that doesn't make a low ranking pilot a good commander and chief, you can say that without denegrading someones service its pathetic.

Actually CAPTAIN McCain also commanded the largest aviation squadron in the Navy. (Captain is the navy equivalent of Colonel)
Reply 66
McCain>>> obama
King4eva
McCain>>> obama

Good one.

That post there just completely changed my mind.

How could I be so blind? It was so simple.

McCain is not just > than Obama but >>> than Obama.

Wow.
Reply 68
sunspoon
That second poll was done in March this year, so it a bit out of date.

Check again genius :p:

USA put their months first, innit.

I have spent the last hour compiling my own geeky state by state election predictor in Excel. I have Obama winning at the moment but not quite past that magic 270 mark.
PeeWeeDan
Actually CAPTAIN McCain also commanded the largest aviation squadron in the Navy. (Captain is the navy equivalent of Colonel)

My argument was that the fact he was a navy commander, infact an aviator, doesn't mean he will be a good commander and chief of the whole armed forces - which I hope you agree on.
Because Americans are proud of their heritage. A heritage which they don't think Obama is part of.
Reply 71
Who said the old scrote will win. :rolleyes:
My argument was that the fact he was a navy commander, infact an aviator, doesn't mean he will be a good commander and chief of the whole armed forces - which I hope you agree on.

I think it qualifies him more than a community organizer and junior senator who has spent as much time in senate running for president than not. What are you trying to say here? McCain is not qualified to be commander and chief? Even if he isn't he is certainly more qualified than his opponent.
Reply 73
Thomas McDowall
A better VP candidate? One decent speech, which was highly negative and hardly talked about the positive things the Conservatives will bring to the table, does not alter her past and change the fact that shes not got the capability to step up as president or the correct family situation to be able to focus on her job properly. I stick by my view that no woman with 5 children, one newborn, one teenager mother and one with downs syndrome has the time or energy to run a country, especially as she is more likely than any other VP to step into the Presidents shoes.

But it'd be fine for a father of 5 with one newborn with downs, one pregnant teenage daughter to stand for office????
Reply 74
ssk2
It wasn't spectacular, I'll give you that. It was however, something that hit all the boxes that McCain needs to. He was solid, dependable - someone the people can rely on.

I think the people of New Orleans once said this about FEMA.
I reckon the rest of the world should be allowed to vote on the American election since it has a big effect on us and Americans seem so incapable of voting for the right person. I want to check I am getting one thing right though, if McCain gets elected he probably won't last long due to his advanced years so Palin will become president and she doesn't believe global warming is caused by humanity so she will be quite happy to let her country keep pumping out CO2 destroying the planet for the rest of us?
I think Colorado will also have deep importance in this race.
Reply 77
Because he is experenced and a veteran (something often appreciated in the US).

Unfortunatly also in some cases, because he is white.
Reply 78
Macain won't win!!!
McCain might win it.... but im going for Obama!!
screenager
I reckon the rest of the world should be allowed to vote on the American election since it has a big effect on us and Americans seem so incapable of voting for the right person. I want to check I am getting one thing right though, if McCain gets elected he probably won't last long due to his advanced years so Palin will become president and she doesn't believe global warming is caused by humanity so she will be quite happy to let her country keep pumping out CO2 destroying the planet for the rest of us?

LMFAO. Because you British- well you lot are just so much more capable of choosing someone to run America THAN THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY LIVE THERE. Stupid British moron. You messed up your own country, no one will ever allow you do it to another. Ha, you don't even think for yourselves no more- bunch of nanny-state, infantile idiots.

As for McCain, he'll win because he is what America and the world needs right now, no matter what the loony left or the liberal media think. If we want to actually win the war against Islamic terrorism and sort out the global energy and economic crisis, then the Mac is just the man to do it and to do it by putting the boot instead of pussy-footing around and talking yet doing nothing (like Europe, like Congress etc etc).

Latest

Trending

Trending