The Student Room Group

Computer Science Foundation Year that ONLY asks for GCSE maths and/or physics?

Hi. I'm going back to school and I'm wondering if I can avoid having to study subjects that are useless for me and instead focus entirely on mathematics and physics in order to get into a computer science foundation year in the UK? Here in Sweden we can take subjects separately but the entire high-school diploma takes a while. I'm an adult so every year counts pretty much.
Original post by liquicity123
Hi. I'm going back to school and I'm wondering if I can avoid having to study subjects that are useless for me and instead focus entirely on mathematics and physics in order to get into a computer science foundation year in the UK? Here in Sweden we can take subjects separately but the entire high-school diploma takes a while. I'm an adult so every year counts pretty much.

you'll need to do a level 3 course for the most part to get into a foundation year, you can do an access course in the UK and gcses at the same time in a year to be able to get into one.
Original post by claireestelle
you'll need to do a level 3 course for the most part to get into a foundation year, you can do an access course in the UK and gcses at the same time in a year to be able to get into one

Thank you for your reply. Interesting. All GCSEs in a year? And what's an access course or a level 3 course? I'm not really familiar with the terms, but could you maybe sketch out a plan how that process would look? I take it would sort of be a ''foundation year to a foundation year''?
Thank you for your reply. Interesting. All GCSEs in a year? And what's an access course or a level 3 course? I'm not really familiar with the terms, but could you maybe sketch out a plan how that process would look? I take it would sort of be a ''foundation year to a foundation year''?

year 1: do gcses in English and maths and maybe science (we call this level 2 qualifications) and also do an access course in science (this is a level 3 course)
year 2: do a foundation year (this is also technically a level 3 course)
year 3: start year 1 of a computer science degree

OR
year 1: do gcses in English and maths and science
year 2: find somewhere you could do a levels (these are a level 3 course) privately in say maths physics and something else ( these are meant to be done across two years when people are between 16-18 years old, however it's not unheard of to try to do it in a year)
year 3: start year 1 of a computer science degree.

Did you do maths/science to a high school level in Sweden? If so I would check with the universities just incase they might accept that.
I am currently

year 1: do gcses in English and maths and maybe science (we call this level 2 qualifications) and also do an access course in science (this is a level 3 course)
year 2: do a foundation year (this is also technically a level 3 course)
year 3: start year 1 of a computer science degree

OR
year 1: do gcses in English and maths and science
year 2: find somewhere you could do a levels (these are a level 3 course) privately in say maths physics and something else ( these are meant to be done across two years when people are between 16-18 years old, however it's not unheard of to try to do it in a year)
year 3: start year 1 of a computer science degree.

Did you do maths/science to a high school level in Sweden? If so I would check with the universities just incase they might accept that.

Yes. I am currently right in the process of doing mathematics and physics on high-school level. I am currently around GCSE level in math and physics. What exactly is an access course?
I am currently

Yes. I am currently right in the process of doing mathematics and physics on high-school level. I am currently around GCSE level in math and physics. What exactly is an access course?

It's a course where you would get a basis in what knowledge you need to do the university course, they're normally done by older students who couldn't get what they needed before they were 18 for whatever reason.
Here's an example of one https://www.sccb.ac.uk/courses/access-to-higher-education/834-level-3/5843-access-to-higher-education-computing
It's a course where you would get a basis in what knowledge you need to do the university course, they're normally done by older students who couldn't get what they needed before they were 18 for whatever reason.
Here's an example of one https://www.sccb.ac.uk/courses/access-to-higher-education/834-level-3/5843-access-to-higher-education-computing

Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending